Got hit by drunk driver - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 80Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 83 Old 08-23-2019, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Got hit by drunk driver

Not a particular good way to spend my birthday. Got hit by a drunk driver on Wednesday night. GTL is totaled. He came across the median. My buddy went out yesterday to find my phone and said the car was deep in the field, which means he was moving fast enough to clear a 3' deep ditch and keep on going. I survived with a smashed foot - worst injury the podiatrist has ever seen, he said. Right now, I look like i got in a fight with an R75 - spokes sticking out of my foot. Will have to see if I can take a look at the bike when I get out of the hospital. I'm assuming the two Clearwaters on the left side are gone. The side bag is in pieces in the road. Hoping that the Darlas and Billie are still good, as well as the RKA tank and rack bags. Really hoping my RDL isn't too damaged. I'm looking at about 6 months for recovery with a couple more surgeries. Looks like I won't be at the rally next year, unfortunately. Back to living vicariously through you guys!

Matt Clark, Bunnlevel, NC
Triumph: '67 Bonneville, '04 Bonneville, '05 Thruxton
BMW: '72 R75/5, '12 K1600 GTL - KIA Drunk Driver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 83 Old 08-23-2019, 10:00 AM

Holy crap! That doesn't sound good, at all. I'm so sorry (and pissed) to hear this. Although I more than understand your concern for your bike and its accessories, screw that, worry about getting yourself whole. I hope you have a pitbull of a lawyer who'll rip the A-hole who hit you a second or third anal orifice. Get well and best wishes for a complete recovery.

2018 K1600 GT Mars Red Metallic
► There exists a group of people who believe that 2 > 4.
► "I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol." Steven Wright
► No government, constitution or law gives you any rights... breathing does.
post #3 of 83 Old 08-23-2019, 10:13 AM

That sucks god their are so many losers out there not much you could have done to stop that from happing. I’ve been rear ended by dwi driver before bike frame totaled stay strong heal quickly and start picking new color .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 83 Old 08-23-2019, 10:26 AM

Garage
Holy crap. Please worry about things that matter at this point, your bike should be last on that list.
Tell me about having spokes sticking out of your foot, what's that mean?

Get better soon, you can always replace the bike with a better one.
Kerouac likes this.

A pint of sweat, saves a gallon of blood. George S. Patton
2014 K16GT
post #5 of 83 Old 08-23-2019, 10:30 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandaldog View Post
Although I more than understand your concern for your bike and its accessories, screw that, worry about getting yourself whole.
This ^^^^^^ exactly. Everything but your life can be replaced. The way you describe the aftermath of the collision, you're very lucky to be here to write about it. A couple of inches and who knows? I hope you start to feel better, and as K16GTW noted, start picking your new color. Very best of luck to you!
Kerouac and pkpr1998 like this.

David A.
IBA: 37338
BMWMOA: 139753
2012 GTL Mineral Silver Metallic
post #6 of 83 Old 08-23-2019, 10:39 AM

Sorry to hear it Matt. I hope you don't suffer too much during the healing process. And hope you have a good lawyer to go after the drunk driver. Good luck !
pkpr1998 likes this.

2018 Grand America
2013 GTL sold
2009 GL 1800- 80k miles
PM me about my pullback risers.

Grand America & 1600 "B" Risers
https://stlouis.craigslist.org/mpo/d...966950566.html
GTL RISER PICS
https://stlouis.craigslist.org/mpo/d...966950439.html
See RAM MOUNT Pics
https://stlouis.craigslist.org/mpo/d...966950897.html
post #7 of 83 Old 08-23-2019, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Re-spokes. Got an external fixator holding my foot together. Bunch of steel rods that go through the skin and into the bones to keep them from moving and allow healing.
Jonnybow likes this.

Matt Clark, Bunnlevel, NC
Triumph: '67 Bonneville, '04 Bonneville, '05 Thruxton
BMW: '72 R75/5, '12 K1600 GTL - KIA Drunk Driver
post #8 of 83 Old 08-23-2019, 11:11 AM

Sorry to hear about this man. I've had a couple get-offs caused by drivers, so even though you're banged up - you came out alright Trust me (I'm sure you know that). Could have been worse, so thank God for proper equipment.

Don't worry about the bike.... unless you have a friend doing the salvage legwork (sounds like you do!)

-Brian
RIP CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga.
MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017; Nashville, 2019
'13 GTL-P Dark Graphite Metallic (3/27/13 Build Date)
IBA #31242 MOA #136148
post #9 of 83 Old 08-23-2019, 11:20 AM

Garage
Wow! So sorry to hear it. Inattentive drivers are enough to avoid on the road. Insanity and mayhem crossing the median for ya is over-kill. Glad you weren't killed! The foot sounds like you have a long road to recovery. I hope you can keep your spirits up. A positive attitude means so much in mending is my experience. It's a lot of work. Prayers for healing and for your family members who suffer with you.
Your thoughts spur me to call my agent and make sure all my extras are covered in such an event or other. Lights and seat shouldn't have to be purchased twice. And hopefully the DD's insurance has sufficient coverage to make you whole again, or maybe you have under-insured coverage. State minimums are quickly exhausted. Wishing you a speedy return to 100%.

James

18 K16GT Option 719 Blue Planet Metallic with matching BMW top-box, Bomber Brown RDL, Denali D7s, Ilium f&r bars with highway pegs
IBA # 63673
14 FJR-ES Candy Red (sold)
83 CB1100F Blue White & Red (in a garage);
83 CB1100F Red White & Black (in a shed);
76 CR125 Elsinore Red (sold);
73? CB125S Torquoise (sold)
post #10 of 83 Old 08-23-2019, 11:42 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Luv View Post
Wow! So sorry to hear it. Inattentive drivers are enough to avoid on the road. Insanity and mayhem crossing the median for ya is over-kill. Glad you weren't killed! The foot sounds like you have a long road to recovery. I hope you can keep your spirits up. A positive attitude means so much in mending is my experience. It's a lot of work. Prayers for healing and for your family members who suffer with you.
Your thoughts spur me to call my agent and make sure all my extras are covered in such an event or other. Lights and seat shouldn't have to be purchased twice. And hopefully the DD's insurance has sufficient coverage to make you whole again, or maybe you have under-insured coverage. State minimums are quickly exhausted. Wishing you a speedy return to 100%.
First, ArmyMutt, best of luck in getting back on your feet! (literally) May you heal without any lasting pain.

As for the coverage, the other driver's insurance should cover everything that is lost on the bike, including personal property, not just the bike itself. You should only need to worry about your accessories if it is your fault.

And for the medical insurance, if you have your own, shouldn't a person come out ok in that regard? You may want to have the other driver to cover the deductibles and your insurance company may go after them for the damages, but I'm pretty sure a person's general medical coverage would cover most, if not all, of any medical care needed (minus deductables) if there is no coverage from the accident itself.

Last edited by RefCat; 08-23-2019 at 11:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page