Help-Roadside assistance question... - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 08-23-2019, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Help-Roadside assistance question...

Hey folks,
Went out to my garage this morning and my rear tire was basically flat. Rode it to the service shop by my house where I have taken my cars for 5 years and they filled it with air but it was leaking out almost as fast as it was going in.
I asked the guy if it could be plugged and he said they "don't work on motorcycle tires."
Hmmm, I didn't know the science behind plugging a tire was any different. Ok.
So the place Ive been taking my cars for 5 years basically watched my tire go flat and said see ya later...
I hope they took a long look at me because they will never see me again.

Anyway I have the bike home...
Oh, for those who think its hard to get the bike on the center stand should try it when the tire is flat.
LOL
My son and i barely did it. Barely. And it wasn't on the first try. Not even the second.
I can see why folks put their bike on a center stand in their garage. When that rear goes flat you can breath on it and it would tip over.

Anyway, my question is this....
Will roadside assistance bring the bike to a service shop of my choice or does it have to be a BMW dealer?
Also does anyone have the roadside number? Im not with my manual.

Thanks guys
PLAGUE likes this.

2018 B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 08-23-2019, 06:30 PM

1) If its on the center stand why don't you just remove the wheel and bring it to a shop?
2) You might want to learn how to plug a tire yourself just in case you pick up some debris out in the boonies.

I'm curious though. If air was coming out as fast as it was going in, how did you manage to ride it?
If true, then the hole is probably not repairable.

Good luck.

Joe
svfiat and 1dragon like this.

“Fate whispers to the warrior, 'You can not withstand the storm.'
The warrior whispers back, 'I am the storm.'
post #3 of 23 Old 08-23-2019, 08:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGuy View Post
1) If its on the center stand why don't you just remove the wheel and bring it to a shop?
2) You might want to learn how to plug a tire yourself just in case you pick up some debris out in the boonies.

I'm curious though. If air was coming out as fast as it was going in, how did you manage to ride it?
If true, then the hole is probably not repairable.

Good luck.

Joe
Agree.

My experience with roadside service with a flat was awful. We were a long way from anything and it pretty much ruined a 4 days. I got the flat early on Saturday. Didn't have a patch kit (I do now). A borrowed can of fix-a-flat wouldn't seal the hole. BMW roadside service drug their feet so long (the didn't want to pay what the tow companies were charging) that I didn't get a truck on site until 7-8 hours after calling them when they finally compromised. By then, it was too late to get it fixed. The shop was closed the next 2 days (Sunday and Monday). I got the tire Tuesday and was back on the road by 10:30 or so. The shop that did it was awesome...Hansen's Motorcycles in Medford, OR. They gave me a very fair price and had me in and out in under 2 hours.
d martin and maybeinoregon like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 08-23-2019, 08:33 PM

Garage
+1 on the tire removal and just replace with fresh. Hard part is over with riding it flat and getting it on the stand.

Also, it may be common for an auto shop to not want to touch an MC tire job...not positive but I can picture it.
post #5 of 23 Old 08-23-2019, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguy View Post
1)
2) you might want to learn how to plug a tire yourself just in case you pick up some debris out in the boonies.
Joe
^^this^^

Rick
2012 K1600GT (smashed)
2015 K1600GT (went over a cliff)
2018 R1200GS
post #6 of 23 Old 08-23-2019, 10:21 PM

Garage
As part of a tire repair kit, make sure you get some Schrader valves and an extractor...$5 or 6.00 kit at AutoZone or Walmart. When my HD had a flat on a road trip a few years ago, I kept looking for a puncture. Couldn’t find one, then felt around the tip of the valve stem and discovered a leak at the Schrader valve. Fortunately I had them in my tire repair kit. Replaced valve, re-inflated tire, and back on the road in 30 minutes.

2018 K1600B: Forged Wheels; RDL Seat; 7Jurock Windscreen; Clearwater Betsys/Darlas; Ryan’s Handlebar Risers; Wunderlich Stuff; Ilium Saddlebag Guards; HEX ezCAN; Bren Tune

“Critical thinking...the last frontier.”

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure...than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." Teddy Roosevelt
post #7 of 23 Old 08-24-2019, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

Ok.

I don't have the time for R and R'ing a tire, nor do I have the desire for it right now.
I don't care if roadside service drags its feet till next thursday, I'm not stranded anywhere.

Let me try this again.
Just wondering if anyone knows off the top of their head if road side will bring it to the shop of my choice or only to a BMW service shop.
Thats it.
If nobody knows I guess Ill just ask them when I call them.

I let my buddy of 25 years who owns a motorcycle race shop R and R my tire if he thinks I need a new one. I need an oil change anyway.

Thanks

2018 B
post #8 of 23 Old 08-24-2019, 02:45 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by evomind View Post
Ok.

I don't have the time for R and R'ing a tire, nor do I have the desire for it right now.
I don't care if roadside service drags its feet till next thursday, I'm not stranded anywhere.

Let me try this again.
Just wondering if anyone knows off the top of their head if road side will bring it to the shop of my choice or only to a BMW service shop.
Thats it.

I let my buddy of 25 years who owns a motorcycle race shop R and R my tire if he thinks I need a new one. I need an oil change anyway.

Thanks
What???? If you're not stranded, you really are misusing roadside service. That isn't what it is for. Take your wheel off the bike and take it to the shop. You could have the wheel off the bike in less than than you'll spend on the phone with roadside service. And, I don't think the bike being in your garage is really the same as being on the roadside.

I'm guessing you complain about the cost of insurance and also wonder why insurance companies are picky with verifying claims.
BMWGuy and PLAGUE like this.
post #9 of 23 Old 08-24-2019, 08:38 AM

Garage
In my experiences: A tow truck should take your bike anywhere you choose. They charge more the farther they have to drive so it's all cha-ching them.

Acquire the tire plugging skill sir and hope you never need to apply it.
BMWGuy likes this.

There is thy gold, worse poison to men's souls,
Doing more murders in this loathsome world,
Than these poor compounds that thou mayst not sell.
I sell thee poison; thou hast sold me none.
post #10 of 23 Old 08-24-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evomind View Post
Ok.

Let me try this again.
Thats it.

Thanks
Dude, learn how to take the rear wheel off. Very simple. Grow a pair
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page