Sacrilegious to my GA according to BMW shop - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 Old 08-24-2019, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Sacrilegious to my GA according to BMW shop

WOW, I didn't know I was being sacrilegious to my chosen bike. Interesting video/audio recording of my GA at a BMW dealer getting tires put on. Video/Audio automatically records when bike running. In the shop, one of them (mechanic or service manager) commented that it was sacrilegious putting Dunlops (RS3s) on a BMW. They were also laughing at what I had on the bike. Called the RDL a thigh spreader. On the handlbars is a Radar Detector on a ball mount, with a LED light wired to the sound port to flash an alert close to eye zone. An Iphone mount for Navigation and music, and what really confused them was the Big Buttons on top the right brake reservoir that controls my Bose noise cancelling earphones/music via bluetooth. That way I can pause, volume adjust, or change tracks with gloves on. The bose also have an IOS app that allows me to reduce the noise cancelling function downward as I desire. Oh, I do have a garage door opener velcroed up underneath the dash overhang where a Nav unit would normally go - can barely see it as it blends in. I painted the Big Button's black best I could - it probably sticks out the most visually.

They did notice I had cameras on bike as the pointed out the one on the rear. One said "I'll bet when we see this bike next year it will have twice as much crap on it - he already has all this stuff on it".

Honestly, I would have laughed with them if I would have been standing there. But, it's all necessary stuff and I don't think non-tasteful. It was the best layout I could come up with. Handy, functional, with radar and iphone easily removed -- all supporting wiring ran up the control cables. Best I could tell they thought the Big Buttons controlled the cameras as they laughed that I could pause it going down the road.

Does any of the remarks bother me? Not a bit. I do actually find it funny and make fun of myself regularly. They should also learn that in this day and age with baggers and technology, those cameras may also be recording what they say. I'm tempted to put a whole bunch of fake crap on it next time just to record what they say....Hang a beer opener on the handbars. Portable bluebooth speaker ziptied somewhere. etc. Maybe an old Motorola PA Microphone mounted. Curb feelers?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4372a.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	242.7 KB
ID:	131516  

2018 K1600B GA

Last edited by tydog96; 08-24-2019 at 12:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 08-24-2019, 12:56 PM

I would probably go back, and play it for them.
post #3 of 44 Old 08-24-2019, 01:03 PM

Garage
Better not show them @Meese 's cockpit

2012 BMW K1600GTL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 Old 08-24-2019, 01:05 PM

Garage
Yeah, I get that too. The default behavior for most is incredulous. The world is full of people with very narrow perspectives.

As for the mechanics, I'd be disappointed in them and say as much. I'd tell them to look at the bikes of the world's best riders, think about what they've said, then return to their meager existence.

I am a skilled pilot who knows my ride. I use my farkles to optimize my time in-saddle. I do not allow them to distract me because I have discipline.
post #5 of 44 Old 08-24-2019, 01:32 PM

You should connect it up to The Internet so that you can monitor them and talk back to them.
Vandaldog, J-Luv and Troy1690 like this.

Loud pipes save egos.
2014 K1600GT
IBA 17739
Also own: 5 K75s, a K100, a K1 & 3 K1100s, WR250R
post #6 of 44 Old 08-24-2019, 01:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quack View Post
You should connect it up to The Internet so that you can monitor them and talk back to them.

Nytprowler likes this.
post #7 of 44 Old 08-24-2019, 02:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quack View Post
That is not really that hard to do you know.
post #8 of 44 Old 08-24-2019, 03:34 PM

Garage
I'll be the first to admit my priorities and views have changed with age. When I was young, like 2/3 to 3/4 of motorcycle dealer employees tend to be, I thought having all this crap on a bike was stupidity, sacrilege, and admission that someone wouldn't and couldn't ride very fast or skillfully. I couldn't stand heavy bikes of any kind (heavy was anything over 400lb.), and anything with any non-performance or non-ergo options on it was a insult to motorcycling purism.

It's nothing short of amazing what 20 years has done for my perspective! I'm older, and I like to be comfortable. I enjoy my creature comforts, but on a bike that can still handle, has gobs of power and can go fast.

The younger staff at the dealers I usually frequent don't care much about anything but the Panagales, Monster 1200s, the RnineTs, the S1000RR, S1000R, and the most concessions they're willing to make toward even light touring are bags on the S1000XR or R1250RS.

If it makes me happy, I don't care. I thought a lot like them until I got well past 30, so I wouldn't take any offense, either, OP.

But I do love catching them talking, so I'd never let on I had seen or heard anything, and would do what you had in mind and then give yourself a good laugh at what they said the next time. Come up with a couple of BS contraptions, give them a backstory and see if they buy the BS with any of it. You have some time to think about it and plan it out.
maybeinoregon likes this.

Joey

2019 K1600GT Option 719 Blue Planet Metallic, Brown Seat, Forged Wheels
2006 K1200S
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
post #9 of 44 Old 08-24-2019, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tydog96 View Post
I'm tempted to put a whole bunch of fake crap on it next time just to record what they say....Hang a beer opener on the handbars. Portable bluebooth speaker ziptied somewhere. etc. Maybe an old Motorola PA Microphone mounted. Curb feelers?
LOL... You should definitely strap on a vintage Uniden CB radio, bolt on a big ol' 1/4 wave whip antenna on the back, string a pair of fuzzy dices off the handlebar, and slap on a Thunder Chicken decal over the top case.
Morgan likes this.

2014 K1600GT Sport
post #10 of 44 Old 08-24-2019, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobervol View Post
If it makes me happy, I don't care. I thought a lot like them until I got well past 30, so I wouldn't take any offense, either, OP.

But I do love catching them talking, so I'd never let on I had seen or heard anything, and would do what you had in mind and then give yourself a good laugh at what they said the next time. Come up with a couple of BS contraptions, give them a backstory and see if they buy the BS with any of it. You have some time to think about it and plan it out.

As a guy in a technology leadership role, sometimes the best play is the big one not taken. I don't plan to play it back for them as unless a really unique situation would arise. It can do no good to tick off a service manager, mechanic, or the cook/waiter. Now, if I saw a leverage play somewhere where it would it further a position, that would trigger additional consideration.

That said, putting a small WOPR ('War Games') with flashing lights and some beeping up on the dash could be fun. Maybe with a label that says "Do NOT touch", and "Voice Activated".

My way, providing any player is the same, is making a small reference and hope it touches a memory that lets them know, I know:

"I was really sick over the winter and I didn't get a chance to double my farkles this year", or "I'm not sure I want you to upgrade the ECU, I don't want the BMW mothership to know I'm running Dunlops". And say with a good-natured sh*t-eating grin on your face.

Life is too short to take offense to some meaningless comments. Life lesson: Don't get mad, just extend the game while there is time on the clock.....

K.

2018 K1600B GA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page