Any documentation junkies out there? - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 09-09-2019, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Any documentation junkies out there?

Still waiting on my '18 GTL, en route to Louisiana from Calif.

Here's my deal: bike is next to new, but not quite... and as luck would have it, the complete documentation package that comes with a brand new bike (the plastic translucent folder stuff) mysteriously disappeared since the bike was delivered to the original owner in May of this year.

But I guess that's just another reason I'm not paying a new-bike price. So now I'm getting a Rider's Manual (hopefully the correct one) and a warranty pamphlet.

Question: exactly what is delivered to a new owner, besides the warranty pamphlet and the Rider's Manual? I want to somehow get all the other stuff -- tags, flyers, descriptions -- anything paper that would come with a new bike.

Anybody have an '18 GTL delivered with every blessed "goody"? One or more pics of a complete '18 doc package would be most appreciated so I can at least know what I'll be looking for.

Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 09-10-2019, 12:04 AM

Go to your local Dealer. I'm sure they have 2018's in stock. I'd look there first.
post #3 of 22 Old 09-10-2019, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks... I have some within 50 miles and that's an option. But still hoping with all our members here, somebody volunteers. I'll be at the dealer eventually.

Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 09-10-2019, 08:45 AM

My '18 B I bought from a dealer with only 150 miles and it came with the Riders Manual (this is the thick owners manual like you get with a car) and the Bluetooth/Audio Manual (somewhat less thick than the Riders Manual). There was also a 2 page fold up color quick reference guide to the handlebar controls. These all slip inside a thin black plastic carry case.

AFAIK, these 3 things are all that come with the bike in the way of manuals/instructions. If you get the build sheet (in German) and dealer invoice stickers (in English), that would be good to have but not something many people would stress over. They came with my RT but not with my B.

Not sure about the GT/GTL but there was a place under the seat of my '14RT for storing the Riders Manual.

Current Bike: '18 K1600B

Most recent former bikes:
'14 R1200RT
'13 F800GT
post #5 of 22 Old 09-10-2019, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks, WillH. Yes, the GTL does have a place under the seat for the Rider's Manual. The previous owner sent me an electronic copy of the build sheet, but it doesn't have any VIN on it and I suspect it's really from another bike (a twin sibling). I need to see if I can find that Bluetooth/Audio Manual and quick reference to the handlebar controls. I doubt I'll ever see the real build sheet and dealer invoice, but it would be swell if I would. The guy says he's put out an APB for them (at least the build sheet). We shall see.
Yeah, I know normal folks wouldn't stress over this stuff; but documentation for my vehicles is really a separate hobby for me; love the stuff!
Thanks again...
p.s.: if you feel comfortable answering, which of the hundreds of locales surrounding Hotlanta do you call home?

post #6 of 22 Old 09-10-2019, 12:31 PM

I also just took delivery of a new to me B. I was able to download the riders manual from the BMW site. There is a place under the seat for a printed copy, but nothing came with the bike. I checked with the dealer about purchasing one, but was told BMW only does CD's now. No use for that on the bike. Maybe I'll scour ebay and find a printed one some day.

Zach
post #7 of 22 Old 09-10-2019, 12:36 PM

Just to add my experience here in the UK. My new (March 2019) K1600 GT Sport came with the thick owners manual but that also acts as the service record, there are pages in it for the dealer to stamp after each regular service action, 600 miles, 6000 miles, etc.

Not sure if that's the same in other countries.

Kev

Current
2019 K1600 GT Sport

Previous
Honda X11
Honda Blackbird (x2)
Suzuki 1200 Bandit

Last edited by KAS_UK; 09-10-2019 at 12:39 PM.
post #8 of 22 Old 09-10-2019, 01:06 PM

Most important is the Plastic emergency key and plastic ID tag, You can download the manuals

https://www.bmw-motorrad.com/en/serv...er-manual.html

Last edited by HOGSLYR; 09-10-2019 at 01:14 PM.
post #9 of 22 Old 09-10-2019, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yes, I know that my emergency key is missing; dealer sez $65 to replace, and my seller is crediting me that amount. What's the plastic ID tag? Can you post a quick pic? One other thing I'm going to check for is the tool kit, which doesn't appear to be much; but should be part of the bike....
I have downloaded one of the manuals that I know is close to mine, but the web site asks you for a code (4 digit?) from somewhere on the bike; so I'll wait until I get the bike to see whether the manual I get with the bike is the same is the that should have come from the factory.

post #10 of 22 Old 09-10-2019, 02:44 PM

If nobody can do it before then, I can take some shots of what came with my bike (2018GTL) after work today. Of course, then I have to figure out how to post pictures, which I haven't done yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page