You scared me - Page 2 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 45Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 43 Old 09-12-2019, 11:25 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Ventura County, CA
Posts: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCard View Post
Welcome to the Silent Majority.
LOL, so true....

I bought my very slightly used 2018 GTL back in March and immediately joined this forum to learn what I could about his incredible machine. I too was taken back by the endless discussions on left pull, overheating, oil consumption, noisy/clunky transmissions, shift assist failure, ineffective windshields, anemic 2018+ throttle response, etc. I found myself taking rides just to uncover any ticking time bombs in my own bike.

Well, after 7000 miles, including a 2-up 3700 mile round trip from SoCal to South Dakota pushing the bike in every way I can -- sustained high speeds, elevation, twisties, interstates and a few 700-800 mile days in 100+ temperatures. I can say with some confidence that all is well.

Having said this, the K16 isn't perfect. But so far I've worked around the few features that irritate me. You have to consider that this is the Internet and like all forums of all types, it attracts discussions about stuff that most owners may never experience. Sift through the noise and you'll find a lot of useful information here by people who really know their stuff. It's worth the effort.
RedCard, J-Luv, UncleBubba and 1 others like this.
JohnS1955 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 43 Old 09-12-2019, 03:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Darbinco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Western Colorado
Posts: 4,794
Garage
Good thing he didnt read about the water pumps and switch gear issues..

BluegrassPicker, J-Luv and PLAGUE like this.

Freedom is the miles I'm rollin' on!

2014 GTL
2016 S1000 XR
Darbinco is online now  
post #13 of 43 Old 09-12-2019, 05:47 PM
Senior Member
 
PLAGUE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Michigan, New Baltimorish area
Posts: 828
Garage
In defense of many forum members sir: I would wager that half the posts are positive, half the posts are really positive, and another half of the posts are even more positive. It all depends where you decide to linger. I love your story and look forward to reading much more of it sir!

I should nickname my cycle Viagra for what it does to me after 8 months and 13, 000 miles.

Many of us here still look back over our shoulders at our bikes as we walk away and giggle with erection (even a few of the really grizzly guys).

There is thy gold, worse poison to men's souls,
Doing more murders in this loathsome world,
Than these poor compounds that thou mayst not sell.
I sell thee poison; thou hast sold me none.
PLAGUE is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 43 Old 09-13-2019, 12:27 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Roseville, California
Posts: 1,673
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS1955 View Post
LOL, so true....



I bought my very slightly used 2018 GTL back in March and immediately joined this forum to learn what I could about his incredible machine. I too was taken back by the endless discussions on left pull, overheating, oil consumption, noisy/clunky transmissions, shift assist failure, ineffective windshields, anemic 2018+ throttle response, etc. I found myself taking rides just to uncover any ticking time bombs in my own bike.



Well, after 7000 miles, including a 2-up 3700 mile round trip from SoCal to South Dakota pushing the bike in every way I can -- sustained high speeds, elevation, twisties, interstates and a few 700-800 mile days in 100+ temperatures. I can say with some confidence that all is well.



Having said this, the K16 isn't perfect. But so far I've worked around the few features that irritate me. You have to consider that this is the Internet and like all forums of all types, it attracts discussions about stuff that most owners may never experience. Sift through the noise and you'll find a lot of useful information here by people who really know their stuff. It's worth the effort.
+1, when I ride my 18 B I'm trying to see if it drifts left, if the throttle is slow, how hot it can get. Fortunately I return happy! It sure meets my expectations and beyond. Perfect? No, just the best bike available for me.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk
Bax2000, PLAGUE and JohnS1955 like this.
Scott Titensor is online now  
post #15 of 43 Old 09-13-2019, 10:20 AM
Senior Member
 
Northsquad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Jupiter, Florida
Posts: 453
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okeur75 View Post
Hey folks,

I just bought a K16 from 2013 last month, and after buying it I thought : Hey maybe it would have been a good idea to check on the forum what the main issues are...
You ******* scared me !
Half of the topics are overheating problem, the other half is oil consumption, the third half is transmission problem... (Wait... that's too many halfs... Man am I bad at maths...)

Just to say that waiting for the bike to be delivered, I was lurking on this forum and you really scared me.
I thought this bike was not as good as I imagined, that I made the wrong choice and should have stayed with a FJR etc...

Fast forward 14 days after I bought it and the bike is delivered. 3 days to build the trust and I go for a 10 days roadtrip with it.
2k miles later, I had 0 issue...
  • No overheating
  • No oil consumption
  • Oookkkk the transmission makes some noise but nothing preventing me from riding !

About overheating, I know it's a sensitive topic, but I did not experience it despite "tough" condition pretty similar to what DavidMck described on his topic "Not fit for purpose".
2 on the bike, lateral cases full of junk, same for the top case, some more junk ON the top case, and I got stuck behind multiple bus for 7 miles under 35C at 5-10mph...
The temp gauge went to the 7th bar, fan on, temp lowered to the 5th bar... that's all. No overheating issue.
Seeing this many posts about overheating I consider myself lucky I guess...

Oil consumption:
None...
And I was driving in Germany, so it means cruising at 120mph with 2 people on the bike, bike loaded etc.


So to sum up... It works well ! Very well I would say !
I just wanted to share also good vibes about this bike ! For future owners that don't know the model yet, it's not as "bad" as it seems when you read the forum.
Of course, we tend to post only when we face an issue, so here is a post that balances a bit.

This (my) bike works
You experienced a very common phenomena, people on forums complain when things go wrong, but for every complaint there are many, many more without the issue. Enjoy the bike!

Iron Butt Association Member#49820
MOA Member #106320
2013 K1600GT Dark Graphite
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite(sold)
Northsquad is online now  
post #16 of 43 Old 09-13-2019, 11:14 AM
Senior Member
 
Prince's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Ilderton (London), Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,916
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsquad View Post
You experienced a very common phenomena, people on forums complain when things go wrong, but for every complaint there are many, many more without the issue. Enjoy the bike!
It's not that you are necessarily wrong but it seems to me BMW has been listening to our complaining.

They have fixed the faulty switch gear.
They have fixed the water pumps.
They have fixed the engine ring lands issue.
They have improved greatly the wind protection.
They have improved greatly the transmission shifting.
They have fixed the coil problems.
They have improved greatly the feet heat problems.
They have added reverse.
The seat on my 2018 is an improvement on my 2011.
They have improved navigation with the Nav VI.
RefCat likes this.

Paul
1984 Honda V65 Magna
1985 BMW K100RT
2011 BMW K1600GTL - gone
2018 BMW K1600GTL
Prince is offline  
post #17 of 43 Old 09-13-2019, 12:25 PM
Senior Member
 
Arizona Jim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Paulden, AZ (in the Prescott area)
Posts: 5,468
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince View Post
It's not that you are necessarily wrong but it seems to me BMW has been listening to our complaining.

They have fixed the faulty switch gear.
They have fixed the water pumps.
They have fixed the engine ring lands issue.
They have improved greatly the wind protection.
They have improved greatly the transmission shifting.
They have fixed the coil problems.
They have improved greatly the feet heat problems.
They have added reverse.
The seat on my 2018 is an improvement on my 2011.
They have improved navigation with the Nav VI.

PLAGUE likes this.


2016 Glacier Silver/matte blue vinyl wrap GTL
1975 Daytona Orange R90S
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650
IBA#9293 BMWRA#41092 BMWMOA#185857
2004 Red Corvette
2005 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler
Arizona Jim is online now  
post #18 of 43 Old 09-13-2019, 01:37 PM
Senior Member
 
BionicDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Madison, MS
Posts: 1,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince View Post
It's not that you are necessarily wrong but it seems to me BMW has been listening to our complaining.

They have fixed the faulty switch gear.
They have fixed the water pumps.
They have fixed the engine ring lands issue.
They have improved greatly the wind protection.
They have improved greatly the transmission shifting.
They have fixed the coil problems.
They have improved greatly the feet heat problems.
They have added reverse.
The seat on my 2018 is an improvement on my 2011.
They have improved navigation with the Nav VI.



They have forced owners of the newer models who have experienced the throttle response of the older models ... to purchase aftermarket ecu flashes


-

BionicDan
#1029 Red GT
Life's too short for traffic
BionicDan is offline  
post #19 of 43 Old 09-13-2019, 04:10 PM
Senior Member
 
Prince's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Ilderton (London), Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,916
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicDan View Post
They have forced owners of the newer models who have experienced the throttle response of the older models ... to purchase aftermarket ecu flashes

-
I don't recall that being a complaint on the older models

It is a complaint on the newer models....what are the odds BMW will fix that one?

Paul
1984 Honda V65 Magna
1985 BMW K100RT
2011 BMW K1600GTL - gone
2018 BMW K1600GTL
Prince is offline  
post #20 of 43 Old 09-13-2019, 05:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Northsquad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Jupiter, Florida
Posts: 453
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince View Post
It's not that you are necessarily wrong but it seems to me BMW has been listening to our complaining.

They have fixed the faulty switch gear.
They have fixed the water pumps.
They have fixed the engine ring lands issue.
They have improved greatly the wind protection.
They have improved greatly the transmission shifting.
They have fixed the coil problems.
They have improved greatly the feet heat problems.
They have added reverse.
The seat on my 2018 is an improvement on my 2011.
They have improved navigation with the Nav VI.
Maybe they have been listening, but more likely we have been unpaid Beta Testers as they roll out an innovative bike.

Iron Butt Association Member#49820
MOA Member #106320
2013 K1600GT Dark Graphite
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite(sold)
Northsquad is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome