BMW K1600 Forum banner

Transmission recall

327K views 2K replies 224 participants last post by  jeancharles11111 
#1 ·
Be prepared. Just got word from my local dealer here in Scottsdale that there is a recall coming for these bikes. He couldn't tell me what it's for, just transmission related. Details were not released to the dealers yet. BMW just gave them a notice telling them one is coming. Should be interesting...?

#4 ·
11/2016 to 9/ 2019 all versions.

#6 ·
Maybe we’ll get a complimentary hotdog in the waiting lounge. :frown:

#8 ·
Would that be related to the reverse gear issues

Reactions: Geoff_3
#9 ·
Looks that is coincident with the switch from gear box manufacturer Getrag to a Japanese supplier. A defective shift fork isn’t good and getting stuck in gear is the least serious issue.
Oh well, had three don’t ride notifications for my 2014 HD and thought these days are over.

#1,623 · (Edited)
C’mon guys, it’s not as though they’re falling apart underneath us...
Ok, my boy’s given me a problem or two, but it’s nothing the fun I’ve had... BMW will fix it and all will be good again.
My "F020" 2018 K1600GTL is going back to the shop on Monday for a, quote, "gearbox upgrade", maybe they'll tell what it is about...

Update: When I brought the bike in the shop Monday, they showed me parts from 2 bikes that had the issue. A selector fork and two selector sleeves, one sleeve was a little worn the other very worn. This matches the recall description "...snip... the shift forks, the selector sleeve of 5th/6th gear and the gear wheel of 6th gear ...snip...". Hoping for more info when I get the bike back...

#13 ·
Not sure if related but just got my B back after more than 2 months.
6th gear was slipping , I have just over 20k km .

Tech showed me fork and said unusual wear, they approved full transmission replacement.

Shifts great now, but it also did for the first 20k

Tech said he had seen if before.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

#15 ·
No, it is not saying, to not ride your bike. Motorrad, issued a stop sale, so that they can make corrections on current inventory, before they are sold. My bike is within the build dates mentioned, and I intend to continue riding.

Yes, H.D. has great deals on bikes right now! ??

#73 · (Edited)
The ones knocking the HDs have you rode a touring bike from them in the last few years ? The HD recall is not a big deal it was a seal that could give out, I had mine in and out in a couple of hours, this BMW recall is a much bigger issue if the fork breaks for sure will be major trans problems and possibly rear wheel lock up... I have 5600 miles on my Harley with less headaches then the 1100 mile BMW ….My buddy just bought a BMW 1250 and put 300 miles on it and now has a leaky front caliper dealer says there is a bunch of them that have to be fixed like 600 of them. I thought I was buying a superior bike to the other makes... not at all, I rode my HD Road Glide all day today with speeds up to 110 and it was as planted to road as it should be with lots of confidence. The BMW has had to have a new upgraded tune 800.00 (Bren Tune) to get the bike to run right it pulls to the left. no wheel weights ? very little dirty air moves bike around, front wheel is not as planted as my HD Road Glide or my Tiger 1050 now I have to have the trans repaired in bike or take the trans out ? great!!

#28 ·
I'm with ya, just rode mine today as hard as always. As always no issues, figure pound the **** out of it while under base warranty. I didn't buy it to ride it kindly, and so far it could care less. Now I'll service it timely and properly, but ride it easy NO WAY!

#31 ·
If they change the box, then they should hook up to the computer, and do any necessary updates. I don't think a selector fork would have any related programming

#32 ·
I think we can relax a bit and wait for some communication from BMW. There is no “don’t ride” notice, only a stop selling notice to the dealers which might include used bikes in their possession.

As long as the shift fork does not break and block the transmission all is under control and I keep enjoying the new found power of the engine.

#40 ·
This^^^^.

I know they're different engines, but with the older inline 4s, some people kept riding for a good, long time with a bent fork. At some point, one or two gears might become unusable in the absolute worst circumstances, and if that happens, the main thing to remember is do NOT force it. Bent fork = you need a new fork. Broken fork = your tranny is ruined.

IF they need to replace forks, they just MAY replace the whole transmission cassette on the newer bikes, especially if they just now changed manufacturers/suppliers (I know Getrag is German, but boy, Japanese transmissions are slick, so I sure wouldn't complain, either way) but if you don't break a fork, AND they're the issue, you're good either way.

Keep enjoying the ride!

#33 ·
Glad I kept my 2013GT, never upgraded, always found the new models didn't have the same power and acceleration mine does, and never had an issue with bike, other than a dead battery. Transmission recalls can quickly become a don't ride situation, but let's hope not. If a Transmission shift fork snaps and gets into the tranny the rear wheel will almost certainly lock, let's hope that's not what the recall is for, guess we have to wait and see.

#36 ·
I was just at the dealer on Sat for 6k service and was told the same. I am looking for a letter and schedule recall service in about 30-45 days. My dealer mentioned to me that they will come and pick up and deliver the bike as a courtesy If I do not have cold gear to ride her. I am an hour ride to the dealer. Wwell, that was nice, I say. This recall is probably as a result of long term testing and some kind of wear on the transmission fork. Some times, by just changing the type of metal being used, does it for good. Since new, I never had even one issue with this beauty.

#38 ·
Ha! Mine just arrived at the dealership on Friday, but I was out of town this weekend and told them I would be up on Tuesday. Will have to give them a call before I head up there...

Attachments

Reactions: Geoff_3 and J-Luv
#439 ·
mm Nice bike, It looks so nice in dark colours too. I am surprised that BMW released it to the dealership they won't release mine and say that even if a dealership has one on the floor they will have to return it to the BMW to have the work carried out once the parts have arrived. I called in today to see if there were any updates on when the parts will be here in Australia. I was told they are on there way, so my next question was are they doing the ones they have in the factory and paid for first or the ones that are already out there on the road and registered? The answer I got was they have not heard anything regarding priority fixes or any dates yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.