Center Stand... help! - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 89Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 80 Old 10-04-2019, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Center Stand... help!

Iíve had my GTL for a few weeks and am loving it. Iíve previously owned a K1200LT and loved it as well. Right or wrong, Iíd put the K1200 on the center stand and almost always sat on the bike and rocked it off. Again, right or wrong.

When I bought the GTL, the dealer went to great pains to show me the features of the bike, including how to put it on the center stand. That last part I knew, of course. He even showed me how to get it off the center stand, although I confess I wasnít paying too much attention at that point - I wanted to go ride.

So... Iíve been using the side stand exclusively. In my garage, when Iím parking, etc. Not because I was intimidated in putting it on the center stand - thatís pretty easy for me. Imagine my surprise, though, when I came out of the place I was in today after having put her on the center stand (really for the first time). I climbed on and tried to rock it off. No way was that gonna happen. Dang, I thought, Iím gonna have to take it off the center stand by myself, never really having done it before. Hmmm. But what if I drop it? That would suck. So I went and found a helper. I left the side stand down (good or bad thing?) and while I had a guy in the other side of the bike, I pretty much pulled it off the center stand.

Clearly I am gonna need more practice. Nothing went wrong today, but I still envision dropping it. Any hints/tips/best practices greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 80 Old 10-04-2019, 06:37 PM

Garage
I would advise you to never leave the side stand down when taking it off the center stand. Past that, it will become second nature after a few times doing it.
danbrew, jryan19, Jonnybow and 1 others like this.
post #3 of 80 Old 10-04-2019, 06:48 PM

Garage
Just a hard rock gets it to roll off for me. Getting it back up is more of a chore, especially when loaded (me or the bike).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 80 Old 10-04-2019, 07:38 PM
cdc

Garage
I rock-off my GT with no side stand.
I use a Park-and-Move dolly, to get the bike off the center stand, I pull it, with the side stand out. I want to make sure, I don't drop it...

ⓒⓓⓒ - Camilo D. (kah-MEE-lo)

'13 K1600 GT - Apr. 5/13
'12 K1600 GT Gone Nov 16/12 - https://tinyurl.com/cdc-crashed
'06 FJR 1300AE Sold
'04 Suzuki SV650 Sold
'82 Suzuki 500GS Sold
'78 Yamaha SR500 Sold

post #5 of 80 Old 10-04-2019, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotek View Post
I would advise you to never leave the side stand down when taking it off the center stand. Past that, it will become second nature after a few times doing it.
And I'd recommend always leaving the side stand down before rocking the bike off the center stand. If for some reason you lost your balance just pull the bike in your direction and the side stand will catch it. I'm 'assuming' you're not sitting on the bike but are standing on the left side.

Duane
Boz, cdc, Rebus and 7 others like this.

Duane: '12 K1600GT/WL EngineBars//Wilbers/VarioLevers/ cbdaneAmber /BajaDesigns LED/PDM60/Remus Headers/GPR Exhaust/BST Carbon Fiber Wheels
post #6 of 80 Old 10-04-2019, 08:25 PM

Garage
Perhaps you parked on a slight uphill grade and that's why it was hard to rock it off the center stand. I usually only use mine in my garage on a flat floor and although a little hard to do I can rock it off the center stand, when empty. Harder with full luggage and trunk.
SmokinJoe, BMWGuy and Lenny167 like this.

2016 Glacier Silver/matte blue vinyl wrap GTL
1975 Daytona Orange R90S
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650
IBA#9293 BMWRA#41092 BMWMOA#185857
2004 Red Corvette
2005 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler
post #7 of 80 Old 10-04-2019, 08:26 PM

I always put the side stand down when taking the bike off the center stand, I am too short to rock it off the stand with me on the bike. I stand on the left side of the bike facing the seat with my right hand on the pillion grab handle and the left hand the left bar grip, clutch in, bike in first gear. I just pull the bike forward, up and slightly toward me. When it rolls forward off the stand, I release the clutch and let the bike settle into the side stand. I have over 80,000 miles on a k1600 and have never dropped one this way.
Rebus, Gunnert, danbrew and 1 others like this.
post #8 of 80 Old 10-04-2019, 08:38 PM
R2K

Seems to be opposing opinions on whether the sidestand is down or up when removing the bike from the centerstand. I agree with Gunnert and with his supporting argument. However, I would like to understand the opposing view.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #9 of 80 Old 10-04-2019, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbrew View Post
Iíve had my GTL for a few weeks and am loving it. Iíve previously owned a K1200LT and loved it as well. Right or wrong, Iíd put the K1200 on the center stand and almost always sat on the bike and rocked it off. Again, right or wrong.

When I bought the GTL, the dealer went to great pains to show me the features of the bike, including how to put it on the center stand. That last part I knew, of course. He even showed me how to get it off the center stand, although I confess I wasnít paying too much attention at that point - I wanted to go ride.

So... Iíve been using the side stand exclusively. In my garage, when Iím parking, etc. Not because I was intimidated in putting it on the center stand - thatís pretty easy for me. Imagine my surprise, though, when I came out of the place I was in today after having put her on the center stand (really for the first time). I climbed on and tried to rock it off. No way was that gonna happen. Dang, I thought, Iím gonna have to take it off the center stand by myself, never really having done it before. Hmmm. But what if I drop it? That would suck. So I went and found a helper. I left the side stand down (good or bad thing?) and while I had a guy in the other side of the bike, I pretty much pulled it off the center stand.

Clearly I am gonna need more practice. Nothing went wrong today, but I still envision dropping it. Any hints/tips/best practices greatly appreciated.
if you can get it up, you can get it down. Put the side stand down so that you don't have to do it while trying to hold the bike upright. On level ground when you pull it forward to get it off the center stand it will settle down on the suspension vertically and if you are keeping it vertical when it does you can lay it on the side stand without a bit of trouble.
danbrew likes this.
post #10 of 80 Old 10-04-2019, 09:15 PM

Not sure side stand down would give me that much more safety assurance. Even with my short legs, losing my balance kicking the bike off center stand is exceedingly unlikely. In all my yrs of riding, I can't recall ever come close to losing it like that. Other scenarios, oh yeah... but not rocking off the CT. I've ridden plenty of bikes where I'm tippy toe on both sides. Heck, some of my bikes perched on the CT basically left my feet dangling in the air. IMO, safety comes more in the technique and paying attention to the ground traction near the bike.

Anyhow... if I do lose my balance, going to the left side is 50/50 chance. Now, I do grab the front brake whole rocking the bike off CT to limit the amount of forward movement, but... the bike still has a good chance of rolling a bit forward right after rocking my bike off CT, which tend to swipe the side stand rearward and UP. So a very small % x 50% x some % the bike is standing still enough for the side stand to catch the bike = a very small %.

Realistically, being that my legs are short and need to head straight down to contact terra firma, the down side stand is quite often in the way of my left foot and more likely to cause me problem than it might help. Your long shanks with telescoping legs that strut out like 45deg outriggers won't be bothered by the side stand, but then again... you should be far less likely to complain of stability problems, no?

Not arguing one way or another on this one. Just relating my own experience. I'd say... do whichever way suit you better.

2014 K1600GT Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page