BMW K1600 Forum banner

My first gtl ride

3K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  jhannesson@pinn360.com 
#1 ·
I just picked up my used 2018 gtl and put an easy 100 miles on it. It’s a brilliant bike. Wind protection is darn good. The PO has a low seat on it so I need to get that swapped out for the extra high one. Let me know if anyone wants to horse trade on that.

The remus exhaust is a symphony. Definitely has a soft throttle map so a Bren is in my near future. I’ll get 1,000 miles on it as I try beat the blizzard back to Fargo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#9 ·
So I finished the 600 miles to st louis. The gps vi died. Maybe a connection issue? Loving the windscreen adjusting. Motor is great. Suspension is nice in esa mode. Central locked luggage is sweet. Handlebars aren’t too bad even for me at 74”.

I stopped after 100 miles and was messing with the wonder wheel while i was off the bike. I accidentally hit the horn button and about jumped out of my boots!!! It’s loud for a bike especially when your head is by the throttle. I am used to a meep meep bike horn.

The ilium sportboards arrived at my hotel and that was very welcome to add them. The geometry is much better. Simple install and quality kit.

Aux lights seem weird for 2 stacks. I don’t know much about them but the light throw is weird. May need to do some adjusting.

Remus... sublime

Enjoy the ride!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 ·
Great color! can never go wrong with white. It's the best color for hiding the dirt.

I don't know if I got a low or a high seat, but it's got a hole for the rider's(driver's) backrest, which I rather like (I think there's a hole- for sure there's a backrest there). As much as I'd like a lower seat for feet to be planted more firmly on ground, I'm thinking a higher seat would improve that rider's triangle formula to improve my comfort. Just don't know. :confused:

#11 ·
You can always lower the bike. A 1/2" lowering kit drops the rear of the bike more than 1/2" effectively to help you get your feet more solid on the ground. @GARS makes the kits for up to 1.5" of lowering I believe. The kit is super easy to install. The confidence you get with solid footing is worth it IMO. I have the low seat and am looking for a seat pan to send off to RDL which should give me the perfect combination of seat height/bike stance/knee bend.

#12 ·
Regarding throttle-engine response (re) action:
Try each of the three different ride modes that are available.
I had my 2012 in dynamic for a while, then went to road. Rain has the softest roll on response, road is the best for me.
Ride in each condition for a couple of tanks , the decide if you want to go the Bren tune route.

#13 · (Edited)
I put 1,200 miles on it and the odo is at 6,500 now. Service light came on, which I assume is the 6k mile service reminder. Is it necessary to take it to the dealer for this or is it just an oil change? Stock tires are shot! We had a lot of twisty roads through the ozarks and the front is toast. The rear has a few miles left it in. I ordered the Dunlop RS3 and will take care of installing them myself.

I tried all different maps and suspension settings. And I have decided the $800 bren is mandatory for me, so I just ordered that. We ride the bikes to the limits when we can. Max speed that I dared was 127 mph and it was smooth and still pulling. I don't have a radar detector for it yet so we kept it safe ;) I like my power wheelies and I had to chop/whack the throttle to get the front up. I know there is more in that motor but the power comes on so late in the rev range right now. We did a couple drag races from a dead stop, using the quick shifter and that will blow your skirt up. It hung right in there with a 2019 KTM 1290S on the drag race and spirited riding in the turns, which isn't bad considering his is a 500 pound bike with 160 horse and torque that comes on quick. Plus the GTL sounded so much better.

The GPS comes on consistently now with the powerup of the bike. So the contact cleaner did it's job.

She is dirty and on my lift table for a little TLC. Then trailering it out of ND to some dry roads out in UT next month.

I am thoroughly impressed and giggle every time I fire her up. This forum gave me the confidence to try a new bike mfg and I am looking forward to miles of smiles!

Enjoy the ride!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.