Is anyone really surprised?? - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 10-09-2019, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Is anyone really surprised??

https://carbuzz.com/news/harley-davi...-electric-bike
PLAGUE likes this.

2018 K1600B, custom made rack and shad top case
2006 Black Mustang convertible: 580HP, 576lbs of torque at the tire running 14lbs boost
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 10-09-2019, 05:51 PM

Garage

There is thy gold, worse poison to men's souls,
Doing more murders in this loathsome world,
Than these poor compounds that thou mayst not sell.
I sell thee poison; thou hast sold me none.
post #3 of 30 Old 10-09-2019, 06:03 PM

Garage
Itís ok for Charlie Boorman and Ewan McGregor to ride H-D LiveWires because they have a support vehicle following them that contains charging facilities!

2017 GTSE Red Reverse gear, Gear Shift Assist Pro, Automatic Damping, Topbox with Brakelight
2014 GTSE White, Keyless Ride, Audio, Hill Start Control, LED Fog Lights
2012 GTSE White, improved switches
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 10-09-2019, 07:20 PM

Here's a recipe for a flop...manufacture an electric motorcycle aimed at younger generations, price it out of their range at $30k, then let it underperform the competition, which has a more attractive price point. That about covers it.
post #5 of 30 Old 10-09-2019, 07:30 PM

Not surprised at all. It's a shame too. I hope HD stops stepping on its' D very soon. It truly is an iconic brand that I hope will continue to be for generations.

Zach
Hallzee, GTLen, rikracer99 and 1 others like this.
post #6 of 30 Old 10-09-2019, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxroundel View Post
Not surprised at all. It's a shame too. I hope HD stops stepping on its' D very soon. It truly is an iconic brand that I hope will continue to be for generations.

Zach
Couldnít agree more. I canít even imagine what HD was thinking with the price of that thing.
rikracer99 and Scott Titensor like this.

Dave no function beer well without
post #7 of 30 Old 10-09-2019, 09:27 PM

In the Spring of 2014 I was lucky enough to snag a test ride on a pre-production Livewire. They took us out on local roads in groups of 10 and after the ride we were debriefed by an engineer and a marketing guy who asked and recorded our answers to questions like: what did you like best, what did you like least, what did you think of the sound it makes, acceleration, build quality, etc., etc. The very last question they asked each of us to answer was: at what price do think this bike should retail? As I recall the ten answers ranged from $9,000 to $15,000. Why they decided to go to market at a retail price of $30,000 is a mystery to me and I'm sure the other 9 guys in my test group.
post #8 of 30 Old 10-09-2019, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerGA View Post
Here's a recipe for a flop...manufacture an electric motorcycle aimed at younger generations, price it out of their range at $30k, then let it underperform the competition, which has a more attractive price point. That about covers it.

Being a "Harley Guy" (riding them for 25+years, still have a '19 RG) and having my wife working at a busy HD dealer, it pains me to agree with you. The dealer my wife works at won't even commit to selling the Livewire due to the $50K required investment in a charging station. I applaud HD for the effort in attempting to attract a non-traditional Harley rider, but $30K is out of line for the intended target audience. I believe it will fail within 3 years and be yanked from the line up. Let's hope the Pan America and the Street Fighter do better.

2018 K1600GA
2019 HD Road Glide

2006 TW200 (the wife's)
post #9 of 30 Old 10-10-2019, 12:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyT View Post
The very last question they asked each of us to answer was: at what price do think this bike should retail? As I recall the ten answers ranged from $9,000 to $15,000. Why they decided to go to market at a retail price of $30,000 is a mystery to me and I'm sure the other 9 guys in my test group.
Why they went with that price instead of the suggested prices....they probably can't manufacture it for a low enough price. At $15,000, they'd probably be losing thousands of dollars. It wouldn't necessarily be because such a bike can't be made cheaper but they are unable to do it....they're used to being able to be inefficient and sell mediocre bikes at high prices points mostly on image, not merit. Now, they're trying to open a new market that has many other competitors and they have to make a bike that isn't going to sell on image and needs to compete on merits. Doesn't look like they can do it.
post #10 of 30 Old 10-10-2019, 01:34 AM

Garage
It's not just the price, as a road vehicle it just isn't ready for prime time. No matter how much fun it may be to ride, it can't even be ridden as far as most Harley Poker runs.

City range: 146 miles
Highway range: 70 miles @ 70 mph

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/201...e-specs-price/
EarthRoamer likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page