BMW K1600 Forum banner

Until the Mother Ship checks my bike under recall, I'll be...

• Riding it. They didn't tell me not to, and surely they would've.

Votes: 92 89.3%
  • Parking it. Better safe than sorry.

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • Indecision may or may not be my problem.

Votes: 3 2.9%

Poll: Riding it or parking it until recall service?

8K views 38 replies 31 participants last post by  Geoff_3 
#1 ·
With a transmission recall coming, but no word on when a fix will be here, what are you guys and gals doing while you wait?

Reactions: Geoff_3
#5 ·
No one else's vote in the poll has to be public if they don't want to post, but I put in the first vote for ride it.

BMW has some easily worried folks in risk management, which is a good thing, so if they aren't telling me to stop, and I don't feel anything weird, I'm riding.

#8 ·
That would have been a good additional option for me to include; I didn't draw that distinction and maybe I should've, but I was assuming (I know, I know) that surely all of us potentially affected by the recall would take immediate action if something felt wrong.

I'm not riding "worried," and I'm having fun, but I'd sure stop and check if something felt at all unusual in the gearbox/clutch. But again, of course I'd do that anyway and assume most of us would. Usually the 5-6 and back down is the smoothest shift on transmissions, and if that is indeed the potential culprit, then mine has always felt silky smooth, up or down.

#9 ·
Until told otherwise, riding it. Wife and I are doing a little jaunt to Lake of the Ozarks this Saturday.

#10 ·
Party Cove?

OK guys, your choice - just take care & stop if you hear/sense any issues with the gearbox whatsoever.

I cited the background & sequence of events to my trans failure back in 2014 in the concurrent 'recall' thread, which gave me around 60 miles warning effectively. The current issue sounds all too familiar.

#14 ·
To "me" this transmission recall is like Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny or Y2K or Outer Space Aliens or the Lockness Monster or Bigfoot or Yeti or Atlantis or Ghosts

I will get my word that the transmission is bad when it falls out the back while riding :)

Broke out heated gear last week and have worn it every morning on the way to work

Will continue to ride until ice on the ground

I literally haven't driven a car in over 3 months :) and I'm not a shut-in

#15 ·
Spoke to my dealer yesterday and he said they know about it, and expect an update on the fix early next week. He said he expects to be having the bikes in over December and it will take about 2 hours per bike as the gearbox is a cassette and doesn't require a complete engine strip. I did ask if it was still ok to ride, and he said BMW said it was.

#17 ·
This whole incident is rather odd I think. On one hand we have the Mothership issue a stop sale order on brand new bikes. If the problem is minimal at best, why would they do that, but not issue a stop ride notice on bikes already out in the field? Once again we seem to have conflicting information coming out of a manufacturer. I don't get it, or am missing something here. If they are trying to stay out of legal action resulting from potential crashes why not just issue a complete across the board stop riding notice and be done with it? Or....is the situation only suspect on very recently made motorcycles and older ones not suspect? All very confusing to me. I am in a slightly different boat because my selling dealer has disappeared into the sunset apparently without even giving hardly any notice to BMWNA. They just locked the doors and sold off the farm. So perhaps for me this issue couldn't have come at a better time. The end of our riding season is almost here and I'll be putting the bike to sleep for winter. Then I can worry about it next spring when hopefully this is all sorted out. In the meantime I will use the GTL sparingly and hope fate doesn't raise it's ugly finger in my direction.

Rick H.

#22 ·
I put it in there for the traditional “undecided” option because it’s a Jimmy Buffett line he speaks while rambling at the end of a song.

Another one he sings: “Ambivalence? Well, yes and no.” :grin:

Reactions: Harleymarlboroman
#25 ·
I was going to buy a 2019/20 GT or GTL because my 2018 B has 35,600 on it in 15 months. I had to buy a 1 year extended warranty to cma till the stop sale lifts and I can buy a new bike. Obviously I'll still be riding every day.

#28 ·
When do you sleep? I agree, ride. Took my B out today, really like the bike. Love the powerplant.

Best of luck on whatever you choose to buy. Now that you have coverage for your B it might make sense to wait for the 2021 introduction. If you like whatever they come up with you can buy that or if you prefer, buy a 2020 leftover? Good to have options.

Really think we will see big change in 2021, EU5 emmissions are required that year. Time will tell.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

#30 ·
I would love to be riding mine, but unfortunately, injuries are forcing me to sale my black beauty. It’s the bike I always dreamed BMW would build, all of the BMW tech and performance, but with, IMHO, a more American styling.

#31 ·
I’m going to ride mine I’ve been riding it just keeping an ear on things and I’m not being abusive. Colder weather is approaching but we usually can still enjoy our bikes Year round but winter time does mean a little less time on them

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.