BMW K1600 Forum banner

Will this new BMW replace the B?

D-I-Y Maintenance Reference Index - Forum Wisdom Links 
5K views 28 replies 19 participants last post by  earthling 
#1 ·
#3 ·
The second pic in the series is still the concept bike or how the concept bike has looked all along. The rest of the pics show a completely different exhaust layout, a passenger seat and a number of other cosmetic changes. Its not the B however generically it may appeal to the same aesthetic, the B is a performance cruiser, this is just a cruiser (large front wheel radius, fat front tire, very poor performance ergos, etc).

#6 ·
My guess is, they might sell some units. There is some boxer twin nostalgia and stylistically, it has some appeal for guys who want a more traditional cruiser of even bagger style bike. It has some "cool" factor to it.

#11 ·
search the forums for this same thread
many people sounded off on this exact topic

#12 ·
My guess, 2020 is the end of the line for the K1600's. Don't believe our straight 6cyl will meet EU5 and EU6 emissions.

BMW will need a new powerplant to meet the strict standards. I'm thinking a 4cyl with possible turbo. Rated around 200hp. This is the BMW trend. Straight 6's are going away. Would not be surprised to see automatic option to compete with Honda.

The new 1800C would not be a exact B replacement but it would at least be a bike with great style. If priced right, should sell.

Time will tell if I'm all wet. Hope I'm wrong. Would love seeing the K1600's continue but don't see how they can. Look up motorcycle EU5 and EU6 emissions. They are substantially stricter than EU3 and EU4 that our bikes were built for.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

#13 ·
That's a terrible thing to say! I generally ridicule the snowflakes who say things like this but I now need to go to my safe space.

Reactions: maybeinoregon
#18 ·
From the BMW 2018 motorcycle sales report.

"Luxury tourers in the fast lane

Sales of the six-cylinder K models are also developing very positively. In its second year of sales, above all the K 1600 Bagger, which is tailored especially to the US market, is proof of the unbroken trend towards large-capacity touring bikes. Timo Resch, BMW Motorrad Head of Sales and Marketing, said, “With 8,306 units sold and a 25 percent increase in sales, our six-cylinder models are among the big winners of 2018 again. The USA especially is an important market for these models. We will continue to increase our involvement in the US in order to strengthen BMW Motorrad’s position there. We will respond to the special market requirements in the USA with a further highly emotional and very authentic BMW Motorrad product.” "

#21 ·
Completely off topic but related to the lifecycle of a product we love known as the K1600.

There is a lot of room left in ICE design. Electronic valves provides per-valve/per-cylinder programmable timing which ultimately allows you to create efficiency (power, emissions, economy) by more tightly controlling the combustion cycle and the removal of a bunch of mass (camshafts, gears, chains, whatever). Then there is the work being done at Mazda on their engines (Skyactiv-G and Skyactiv-X) allow them to raise compression levels up to 16:1 on pump gas while creating more power and reducing emissions than their previous engines which weren't bad to begin with, this has allowed them to improve overall engine efficiency (mor everything) without having to resort to expensive and exotic catalysts.

If BMW really wants to cater to the >liter bike crowd with a multi-cylinder design they have a number of years yet to research and implement a solution (engine) that is more efficient, more powerful, and cleaner running than the current 6. Personally I would love to see someone come up with a mind blowing 6 stroke, 5 cylinder design with electronic valves but that's an entirely different thread. :)

#22 ·
On my browser/window, this thread is showing up under the "DIY maintenance reference index- forum wisdom links". Has this thread not been miscategorized? :confused:

Jeff

#26 ·
From what I've read, BMW Motorrad wants to establish more dealerships in America as well as build sales. They have been on a roll for 7 years if my memory is correct, making sales gains worldwide and in America.

I think they have learned that style sells. Not saying they are dialed in, just that they have some big goals.

I think they are looking to hit 200,000 motorcycle sales in 2020, world wide. Time will tell.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

#28 ·
As cruisers go, it looks interesting. It definitely looks better with the bags and passenger seat. For some reason I've never been a fan of the bobber style. But unless I win the lottery and can afford a bigger garage and more toys .... I'll stick with my GTL.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.