BMW K1600 Forum banner

Time to fix major issues

18K views 97 replies 33 participants last post by  Ricky Bobby 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

My 2018 GTL is just the best bike I have ever owned for what I need. Long distance, effortless and comfortable touring. That being said in the 17 months and 37,000kms of ownership there have been far far to many maintanance issues. Luckily I have an excellent local dealer, EuroMotors Graz Austria, who have done all that could be asked of them....so far.

To set the scene, I bought the bike in UK. I'm a semi retired Brit living part of the year, especially during summer riding months, in Austria.

On delivery I took the bike on a 1,000km cruise around the UK returning it to the selling dealer, Park Lane BMW in London for its first service. After a couple of hundred Kms the front speed sensor failed. No cruise control, ABS etc etc. No big deal, it was fixed at first service. I also noted a strong pull to the left and excessive oil consumption which were brought to the attention of the service staff. They explained that both would settle down as the bike was broken in. Somewhat naively, with the benifit of hindsight, I accepted their explanation, keen to enjoy my new retirement present and went on my merry way, taking the bike to Austria where it's had all its services since.

As an aside I also purchased the BMW 5 year service package from new which my Austrian dealer has honoured to the full. Cudos to them, especially as this package was not available in Austria at the time.

Anyway to get to the meat of the matter the Oil Consumption and Left Pull issues did not go away as was suggested. Indeed the oil issue has gradually worsened over time to the extent that on a recent trip to Norway, transiting the German Autobahns at speed, oil consumption from full to 'Park and check oil' took 1680kms. This is stretched out somewhat when driving at slow speed and low RPM to about 2,000kms. I carried 5 liters of BMW oil on my Norway trip and in 11,000kms used the lot.

The Pull Issue was reduced initially when I changed tyres from the OEM Bridgestones to Dunlop RS III's and adjusted my seating position. However it quickly returned no matter what I tried. Subsequent changes of tyre has had no affect, the bike continues to pull left in all conditions. Even loading the right side bags asymetrically in excess of 6kgs does not nullify the pull.

Without wishing to over dramatise matters, a moments inattention means the bike turns sharply into on coming traffic or the curb, dependent on left hand (UK) or right hand driving.....Such behaviour in a car would mean an emmediate technical inspection failure, I'm sure the same applies to bikes? If I were to have an accident knowing the bike is defective would this lead to an insurance claim rejection or a crimainal charge? One suspects that either or both would be considered?

If I had my time again and knowing what I know now (thanks largly to the info on this forum) I would be sorely tempted to have rejected the bike after the 1st 1000kms until these 2 major issues were completely sorted or the bike replaced. But alas, I was so keen to enjoy my new toy, I fell for the 'it'll be OK in time' explanation.

As much as it may hurt or frustrate current and future owners I would stongly recommend BMW be taken to task from the get go rejecting bikes delivered from new with such fundamental issues. No vehicle is deigned to use oil at the rates experienced nor designed or certified to pull left to any degree.

And so two weeks ago the bike was delivered to my Austrian dealer for remedial action, delayed until now at their request, during the winter whilst the bike is still under warranty and they can devote the time needed during the off season to fix my GTL once and for all. Both problems, they agree, are unacceptable and must be fixed.

They will also attend to the Transmission recall, parts availability permitting. I'm getting intermediate failure of starter motor and reverse gear engagement which may be part of the recall issue.

Other failures include Speed Sensor failures, Lean Angle sensor failure, GPS failure, GPS eject failure, Wind Screen cracking, Electrical wiring plug cracks and failures, Hill start failure, Oil level indicator failure etc etc.

I will let you know how this goes in the coming weeks which, despite the efforts of my dealer, will depend on the reaction of BMW HQ.

See less See more
#3 ·
Ugh. It sounds like you’ve had way too many problems. Hopefully they can sort you out, but I wouldn’t hold out much hope for a fix on the left pull. People have been complaining about that one forever. I am curious though, you mentioned a cracked windshield? This is the first time I’ve heard that one

#4 ·
Thanks guys,

The motor was broken in by me following BMW's instructions, as laid out in the owners manual, to the letter. High Oil consumption was evident from day one as was the Left Pull sadly.

The Windscreen cracked behind the fixing bracket. It was'wasn't over tightened by any means. Just a manufacturing fault discovered when the screen was removed for cleaning. BMW have replaced it under warranty.

My dealer contacted me yesterday. BMW have asked for a controlled Oil Consumption test over 1,000kms. I will do this for them in a day and return the bike next week. They've also asked to replace the existing tyres to further check the Left Pull. Will let you know how this all plays out as it evolves.

Regards,

Tony

#5 ·
I had the same experience with my brand new GTLE uk purchase and continued to use over 1 litre of oil every 1000 miles, i lasted until 6000 service kept the dealer updated with consumption and kept records of all oil used. The dealer agreed there was a problem spoke to BMW and gave me a new bike free of charge. As always from this dealer the very best customer service I have ever had. Allan Jefferies In Shipley
The new bike uses approx 160 mils every 1000 miles so that is acceptable

#6 ·
Hi guys,

I just picked up my bike to start the 1,000kms controlled test of Oil Consumption which I will complete this week. We will see how that goes. BMW have also asked for new tyres to be fitted, my Dunlop RSIII's are worn. I'll try the Metzeler Roadtec 01's this time but am sure that will not solve the problem. My dealer tells me they will then strip the bike to check the Rims, Bearing etc etc by way of troubleshooting. It will interesting to see what they find.

Apart from that the new Windscreen was fitted, Valve clearances checked, new Spark plugs, left hand control cluster refixed and tightened (it was loose). Brakes adjusted, GPS eject refitted and fixed (for the 3rd time) Clutch adjusted, Oil and Filter change, Software updated....again. No parts available for the Transmission Recall as yet they expect to recieve in December/January.

Apart from that it was great to be back on the bike again, sadly she'll have to go back early next week for what will undoubtedly be an extended stay I'm sure :frown:

Will keep you posted on developments......

Regards,

Tony

#9 ·
One constant that I've noticed with these bikes is this. If its a problem with mechanical and electrical from day one... it will have those issues forever it seems.

I would use whatever repair offer they make as leverage and ask for a trade deal on a new one and get away from it... I wouldnt keep that bike even if they replaced the motor. If they come back and say the oil consumption is within specs, I would trade it.. or run the SOB off a cliff and be done with it. Either way, it would be gone.

Life is too short to deal with any vehicle thats a constant problem wether its a car, truck or motorcycle.

#10 ·
Hi guys,

I completed a quick 1,000kms yesterday (bad boy I did 1,200Kms) for the controlled Oil Consumption test as requested by BMW. At 565Kms the "Check" caption illuminated on the Oil Level menu. After consultation with BMW they requested I continue the ride without adding oil. Somewhat reluctantly I did. When I got home, emmediately after the ride with the engine hot, I waited for the fan to come on, switched off and then waited for the prescribed minute to allow oil to drain into the sump. The Dipstick was completely dry and was still dry even if I screwed the dipstick all the way in. My dealer will now weigh the remaining oil to get an accurate oil consumption figure when my GTL is returned to them on Monday. I will let you know what the final figure is. My dealer assures me the Oil was completely full with new oil and filter before the test.

#11 ·
Sounds like your experience with oil consumption is very similar, if not exactly, as mine was. Hopefully you'll get a definitive reason for the oil consumption. At 49k miles I was burning a quart every 600. Compression test, leak-down test, and complete tear-down revealed no 'smoking gun'.

Duane

Reactions: Geoff_3
#12 ·
I've got 38K on my 2018 B. I did my break-in the same way I've done all my break-ins. Let the motor get up to temp then ride it like I stole it with lots of engine breaking to set the rings. I have used 1 quart every 6K since new. The oil consumption doesn't seem to be consistent across the K series bikes. Some use oil some don't. So does it come down to something as simple as ring gap alignment. These motors are sitting at a steep angle in the frame and if the ring gaps are at the down side of the bore that would advocate oil consumption. I know in HD motors this would be the case. Just a thought. In any case I love my bike and it's not like it's so hard to check your oil once a week and add as needed.

#13 ·
hello from Coventry township Ohio. I have a 12 GTL that now has about forty four thousand miles on it, that I've owned for about 14 months. My bike does not use oil, it does pull out when I let go of the handle bars but not to the point I am concerned about it. I did have a problem a few months ago, a coil pain that runs through the selector shaft where it goes into the shifting fork to connect the two to turn together, sheard. It took me awhile to figure out what it was, and how to get it apart, but then I fixed it myself! I am definitely going to keep my 12 and not get a newer bike from all the issues I am hearing, I ride my bike all the time like I stole it and it performs fantastically!

#17 ·
This is one of my posts and so far it hasn't changed. It's a very neutral ride, wherever it's going, right, left or straight when you let go it keeps going. So much nicer now!

"I have a 2019 GT Sport that came new with Bridgestone tires. From day one it pulled left, not an issue with either hand lightly on the bar but no hands and it was a left lane change with out some very aggressive leaning, weight shifting and peg pressure and even then it was a fight! Tires were about 60% worn with zero change in the lean issue since day one but I needed new rubber for an upcoming trip so I installed a balanced a new set of Dunlop RS3's. The only thing I did different during installation from the book was prior to torquing the right axle pinch bolt I installed the calipers and speed sensor then put the front wheel on the ground (still on the center stand) climbed on, held the brakes and bounced the front suspension to center the wheel on the axle then gently got off and torqued the pinch bolt. The lean is GONE! I never realized the actual pressure that was needed to go straight before but now there's nothing. Very easy and relaxed riding. Tires? Axle? Not sure but betting it was the Axle/wheel alignment or just dumb luck. This is a recommended procedure on the Honda ST1300 to prevent it from leaning so for those with the leaning issue it's a 2min job that's free so it might be worth a shot."

#18 ·
After logging in:

1. click on your username
2. click on "about me"
3. click on "add album"
4. type in an album name
5. click "submit"
6. click "upload photo" then a list of photos on your PC appears

7. click on the picture you want to upload
8. now your album has a photo selected and you need to click "upload" again to upload the image from your pc to the K1600 forum server into your accounts album that you created in step number 5 above. The first picture uploaded will be your cover photo. Upload more pictures in the album if you want, then you get to change your cover photo if you want.

#19 ·
So hard to hear, my 2013 GT get's oil changed every 6K miles, and the same amount of oil is present as when I last changed it. The bike burns zero oil, at least nothing perceptible on the dipstick. I fill it to the Max line, and after 6K that's where it still remains. I think they should replace the engine for you.

#20 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

Thanks for your helpful comments and experiences, information is king as they say especially when dealing with BMW HQ. As I understand it my dealer had to do the 1,000km Oil Consumption test as directed by BMW despite my previous detailed record of consumption submitted over the last 30,000kms or so. They will then get authorisation from BMW to open up the engine under warranty and see if there are any faults within. As I've said on many previous posts I'm delighted with the bike, it does all that I want and more. The engine is simply superb power wise, if only I could solve the Oil Consumption and Left Pull I would be a very happy camper indeed. Anyway we will see where this all leads, however unlike my past reactions I will insist that both faults be rectified before taking the bike back. Firmly but politely refusing to accept any further excuses. The weather here is closing in for the winter so they have several months to really get to the bottom of it. The bike will be delivered to my dealer tomorrow, I will let you know what the final consumption figure is.

Ps. The bike was run in exactly as per the BMW handbook and has been serviced in a similar fashion having paid for the 5 year service plan when the bike was delivered new.

Regards,

Tony

#29 ·
Mine took a half liter at 4500 miles on the tail end of our last trip. Hopefully that’s where it stays.

#25 ·
BMW generally consider 1 quart per 1,000 miles/1,600 km to be normal. That's been their position for decades and they're sticking to it. It's encouraging that they're willing to investigate but you (and your dealer) must have been pretty effective in getting their attention. Of course enthusiastic acceleration will increase oil use, and the K16 engine certainly encourages that kind of riding!

It's certainly possible to design engines that use less oil - I haven't had a car in the last 30 years where I had to add oil between changes. My 2016 boxer started out going from service to service (6,000 miles) without needing oil and was up to about 1 quart/5,000 miles when I traded it at 150,000 miles (Oil analysis told me I was OK to save money by skipping the 6K service, just adding the quart and doing the "big" 12K service whenever it needed oil a second time).

Frankly, the left pull was why I traded my GTL after a year. My shoulder got sore from forcing it to go straight on the interstates (autobahnen to you), and I was afraid if I took my hand off the bars that it would spiral into a lowside. BMW's response to that was also predictable: keep both hands on the bars. Also I found the driveline lash to be unacceptable, although I understand it's improved a lot since mine was built in 2012.

#28 · (Edited)
I guess I am lucky none of my BMWs have ever pulled to the left, used excessive oil if any at all . But!!! the 2012 loan GTL. I have now while waiting for the new bike to be release with less than 50,000 klms on the bike all service records including the 50,000 klms. service was done the day I picked the pick up from my dealership has the driveline lash you mentioned. It goes like the clappers and so responsive compared to my last GTL as it was a 2017 and had the dreaded emission restraints on it as they do so it felt softer should that be sluggish with the throttle response compared to this one?. Still, I have to say the 2017 GTL was a nice bike to ride and here it is now 2019 and I have done a full circle by buying the R1250RT owing it for the short period (3 weeks) before back trading it on the new GTL. I had a 2016 R1200RT before buying the 2017 GTL then selling that to buy the 2018 Indian Roadmaster. So I am hoping this recall does as it should and fix the gearbox issue because this will be my last bike as I am 65.5 years old now and need to think about enjoying my retirement and the new bike :grin::smile::nerd: Plus not working any longer I need to stop buying toys lol.:surprise::frown:

Last of all sorry Tony, but I hope you get the response you are after and have your bike fixed so it does not use oil. My idea is that no new bike or car should use that much oil between service intervals, but then again I don't build and sell the bikes so it might be easy for me to say that as I don't need to spend the $$$$$ to fix the issues and I am sure BMW could afford it regardless as none of their products are cheap by any means.

#30 ·
Guys, can we not pollute this thread with stories of how much or how little oil YOUR bike used on the trip to see your favourite aunt in Kentucky? Just search “oil consumption” and you’ll find a new thread every 6 months with people specifically asking for input on how much oil YOU burn.
@afhorsley has a good thread going here and I think most people are anxious to see how it plays out. I wish him a very favourable outcome. And I don’t think he needs to see that your bike doesn’t use any oil. He already knows he has an issue.

#31 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

My dealer contacted me today. BMW have authorised a New Engine and Gearbox unit be fitted, on the downside it will not be available until February. Work continues on the "Left Pull" issue. I have suggested they consider replacing the entire bike considering the number of outstanding problems......if you don't ask etc ;-)

Will keep you informed.

Regards,

Tony

#57 ·
I would gracefully reject the offer. The dealer is likely not set up to build an entire bike which is the scope of that repair. Chances that something will go wrong a high, just think of moving the entire wiring loom from one bike to the other without factory training and tools . Horror.................
Work with them and ask for a trade in with favorable conditions. Worked for me in a slightly different set of circumstances.

#32 ·
Well at least you have made good progress. A new engine will go a long ways towards clearing up your confidence in the machine (provided it performs better, etc). I know it would make me feel better. Good on you for asking for a bike replacement. Keep pushing, its all just numbers to someone at headquarters.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.