Time to fix major issues - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 Old 10-28-2019, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Time to fix major issues

Hi guys,

My 2018 GTL is just the best bike I have ever owned for what I need. Long distance, effortless and comfortable touring. That being said in the 17 months and 37,000kms of ownership there have been far far to many maintanance issues. Luckily I have an excellent local dealer, EuroMotors Graz Austria, who have done all that could be asked of them....so far.

To set the scene, I bought the bike in UK. I'm a semi retired Brit living part of the year, especially during summer riding months, in Austria.

On delivery I took the bike on a 1,000km cruise around the UK returning it to the selling dealer, Park Lane BMW in London for its first service. After a couple of hundred Kms the front speed sensor failed. No cruise control, ABS etc etc. No big deal, it was fixed at first service. I also noted a strong pull to the left and excessive oil consumption which were brought to the attention of the service staff. They explained that both would settle down as the bike was broken in. Somewhat naively, with the benifit of hindsight, I accepted their explanation, keen to enjoy my new retirement present and went on my merry way, taking the bike to Austria where it's had all its services since.

As an aside I also purchased the BMW 5 year service package from new which my Austrian dealer has honoured to the full. Cudos to them, especially as this package was not available in Austria at the time.

Anyway to get to the meat of the matter the Oil Consumption and Left Pull issues did not go away as was suggested. Indeed the oil issue has gradually worsened over time to the extent that on a recent trip to Norway, transiting the German Autobahns at speed, oil consumption from full to 'Park and check oil' took 1680kms. This is stretched out somewhat when driving at slow speed and low RPM to about 2,000kms. I carried 5 liters of BMW oil on my Norway trip and in 11,000kms used the lot.

The Pull Issue was reduced initially when I changed tyres from the OEM Bridgestones to Dunlop RS III's and adjusted my seating position. However it quickly returned no matter what I tried. Subsequent changes of tyre has had no affect, the bike continues to pull left in all conditions. Even loading the right side bags asymetrically in excess of 6kgs does not nullify the pull.

Without wishing to over dramatise matters, a moments inattention means the bike turns sharply into on coming traffic or the curb, dependent on left hand (UK) or right hand driving.....Such behaviour in a car would mean an emmediate technical inspection failure, I'm sure the same applies to bikes? If I were to have an accident knowing the bike is defective would this lead to an insurance claim rejection or a crimainal charge? One suspects that either or both would be considered?

If I had my time again and knowing what I know now (thanks largly to the info on this forum) I would be sorely tempted to have rejected the bike after the 1st 1000kms until these 2 major issues were completely sorted or the bike replaced. But alas, I was so keen to enjoy my new toy, I fell for the 'it'll be OK in time' explanation.

As much as it may hurt or frustrate current and future owners I would stongly recommend BMW be taken to task from the get go rejecting bikes delivered from new with such fundamental issues. No vehicle is deigned to use oil at the rates experienced nor designed or certified to pull left to any degree.

And so two weeks ago the bike was delivered to my Austrian dealer for remedial action, delayed until now at their request, during the winter whilst the bike is still under warranty and they can devote the time needed during the off season to fix my GTL once and for all. Both problems, they agree, are unacceptable and must be fixed.

They will also attend to the Transmission recall, parts availability permitting. I'm getting intermediate failure of starter motor and reverse gear engagement which may be part of the recall issue.

Other failures include Speed Sensor failures, Lean Angle sensor failure, GPS failure, GPS eject failure, Wind Screen cracking, Electrical wiring plug cracks and failures, Hill start failure, Oil level indicator failure etc etc.

I will let you know how this goes in the coming weeks which, despite the efforts of my dealer, will depend on the reaction of BMW HQ.

2018 BMW K1600GTL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 10-28-2019, 09:18 AM

I can't speak to the left pull. But I feel your pain with the oil consumption. I purchased my '12 GT in Oct. '12, 2-3 months old with 3500 miles. From day one it used oil. At 49,000 miles it was using a quart per 1,000 miles. Motor was tore down, nothing 'obviously' wrong, motor replaced. If I had to guess I'd say the motor wasn't broke-in correctly when new.

Duane

https://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw...il-useage.html
Geoff_3 likes this.

Duane: '12 K1600GT/WL EngineBars//Wilbers/VarioLevers/ cbdaneAmber /BajaDesigns LED/PDM60/Remus Headers/GPR Exhaust/BST Carbon Fiber Wheels
post #3 of 33 Old 10-28-2019, 09:59 AM

Ugh. It sounds like you’ve had way too many problems. Hopefully they can sort you out, but I wouldn’t hold out much hope for a fix on the left pull. People have been complaining about that one forever. I am curious though, you mentioned a cracked windshield? This is the first time I’ve heard that one
Geoff_3 likes this.

Dave no function beer well without
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old 11-05-2019, 05:53 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks guys,

The motor was broken in by me following BMW's instructions, as laid out in the owners manual, to the letter. High Oil consumption was evident from day one as was the Left Pull sadly.

The Windscreen cracked behind the fixing bracket. It was'wasn't over tightened by any means. Just a manufacturing fault discovered when the screen was removed for cleaning. BMW have replaced it under warranty.

My dealer contacted me yesterday. BMW have asked for a controlled Oil Consumption test over 1,000kms. I will do this for them in a day and return the bike next week. They've also asked to replace the existing tyres to further check the Left Pull. Will let you know how this all plays out as it evolves.

Regards,

Tony
bmac and Geoff_3 like this.

2018 BMW K1600GTL
post #5 of 33 Old 11-05-2019, 04:00 PM

I had the same experience with my brand new GTLE uk purchase and continued to use over 1 litre of oil every 1000 miles, i lasted until 6000 service kept the dealer updated with consumption and kept records of all oil used. The dealer agreed there was a problem spoke to BMW and gave me a new bike free of charge. As always from this dealer the very best customer service I have ever had. Allan Jefferies In Shipley
The new bike uses approx 160 mils every 1000 miles so that is acceptable
Geoff_3 likes this.
post #6 of 33 Old 11-06-2019, 06:51 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Hi guys,

I just picked up my bike to start the 1,000kms controlled test of Oil Consumption which I will complete this week. We will see how that goes. BMW have also asked for new tyres to be fitted, my Dunlop RSIII's are worn. I'll try the Metzeler Roadtec 01's this time but am sure that will not solve the problem. My dealer tells me they will then strip the bike to check the Rims, Bearing etc etc by way of troubleshooting. It will interesting to see what they find.

Apart from that the new Windscreen was fitted, Valve clearances checked, new Spark plugs, left hand control cluster refixed and tightened (it was loose). Brakes adjusted, GPS eject refitted and fixed (for the 3rd time) Clutch adjusted, Oil and Filter change, Software updated....again. No parts available for the Transmission Recall as yet they expect to recieve in December/January.

Apart from that it was great to be back on the bike again, sadly she'll have to go back early next week for what will undoubtedly be an extended stay I'm sure

Will keep you posted on developments......

Regards,

Tony
Geoff_3 likes this.

2018 BMW K1600GTL
post #7 of 33 Old 11-06-2019, 10:15 AM

It shouldn’t pull to the left, i can ride mine with hands off and it stays straight, it did that with stock tyres and now the Roadtec 01s
Geoff_3 likes this.
post #8 of 33 Old 11-07-2019, 06:33 AM

Send a message via AIM to Geoff_3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bytio1 View Post
It shouldn’t pull to the left, i can ride mine with hands off and it stays straight, it did that with stock tyres and now the Roadtec 01s
I remember reading about the American bikes having issues with the Bike pulling to the left and it is well documented on the forums. I have to be honest and had no such issues with any of my bikes thank god.

2019 BMW k1600GTL: 2019 BMW R1250RT: 2018 Indian Road Master: 2017 BMW K1600GTL: 2016 BMW R1200RT:
2013 Victory Cross Roads Classic.
post #9 of 33 Old 11-07-2019, 10:22 AM

Garage
One constant that I've noticed with these bikes is this. If its a problem with mechanical and electrical from day one... it will have those issues forever it seems.

I would use whatever repair offer they make as leverage and ask for a trade deal on a new one and get away from it... I wouldnt keep that bike even if they replaced the motor. If they come back and say the oil consumption is within specs, I would trade it.. or run the SOB off a cliff and be done with it. Either way, it would be gone.

Life is too short to deal with any vehicle thats a constant problem wether its a car, truck or motorcycle.

Freedom is the miles I'm rollin' on!

2014 GTL
2016 S1000 XR
post #10 of 33 Old 11-09-2019, 06:20 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Hi guys,

I completed a quick 1,000kms yesterday (bad boy I did 1,200Kms) for the controlled Oil Consumption test as requested by BMW. At 565Kms the "Check" caption illuminated on the Oil Level menu. After consultation with BMW they requested I continue the ride without adding oil. Somewhat reluctantly I did. When I got home, emmediately after the ride with the engine hot, I waited for the fan to come on, switched off and then waited for the prescribed minute to allow oil to drain into the sump. The Dipstick was completely dry and was still dry even if I screwed the dipstick all the way in. My dealer will now weigh the remaining oil to get an accurate oil consumption figure when my GTL is returned to them on Monday. I will let you know what the final figure is. My dealer assures me the Oil was completely full with new oil and filter before the test.
Geoff_3 likes this.

2018 BMW K1600GTL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page