D-I-Y Maintenance Reference Index - Forum Wisdom Links Indian claims to have badest bagger? - Page 3 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 30 Old 10-30-2019, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
One of the many things I have always appreciated about BMW is there unique style. They don't copy anyone. They have there own style.

Regarding this new Indian, had Harley built a Road Glide like this new bike I'd own it. My hat is off to Indian, they beat Harley to a modern V-twin with reasonable HP, a good frame, suspension and features.

Still doesn't reach the level of our K1600B or Bagger. The K16 is still king of the hill.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 Old 10-31-2019, 12:38 PM

I agree. My B is far superior to my previous Road Glide in almost every area. The only place it falls short is stability. I could pass semi's on the freeway with 1 finger on the bars and that Road Glide would not budge. Can't say the same for my B.

Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Titensor View Post
One of the many things I have always appreciated about BMW is there unique style. They don't copy anyone. They have there own style.

Regarding this new Indian, had Harley built a Road Glide like this new bike I'd own it. My hat is off to Indian, they beat Harley to a modern V-twin with reasonable HP, a good frame, suspension and features.

Still doesn't reach the level of our K1600B or Bagger. The K16 is still king of the hill.

post #23 of 30 Old 10-31-2019, 09:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to Geoff_3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darbinco View Post
Just an observation from the cheap seat here but that speedo looks like it could be hard to read. I would rather have the speedo closer and the nav on top like our bikes. That way your eyes dont have to go as far away from the road to see it.
The ride command system can use the sat-nav as well as the dash to see speedos on the Indians similar to the say Nav on the BMW's. I agree with you and think all the engineers and designers could learn more if they only spoke to more motorbike riders that ride their products . That would be a real advancement but we can only ever dream.
Darbinco likes this.

2019 BMW k1600GTL: 2019 BMW R1250RT: 2018 Indian Road Master: 2017 BMW K1600GTL: 2016 BMW R1200RT:
2013 Victory Cross Roads Classic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 30 Old 10-31-2019, 10:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XPLSV View Post
Darby, I was going to say that was a rather unkind remark...then I went and actually looked at the photo in the article, and, well, I concur
Yeah, I have to agree, too, and it was surprising. I usually like the looks of Indians, and I like the ideas behind this model, with increased hp, and water-cooling, Brembos, etc., BUT when I saw it, I was like what the heck? Who is gonna buy this thing?

It looks like someone slapped a front fairing on one of the first Victory models, then stole the bags from a Kaw Nomad, circa 2002, and slapped them on.

Iím not a big H-D fan at all, but I was thinking a bit more like a V-Rod with a fairing and bags, back when the only available pics were of the engine. This bike canít hold a candle to the V-Rod in looks.
Geoff_3 likes this.

Joey

2019 K1600GT Option 719 Blue Planet Metallic, Brown Seat, Forged Wheels
2006 K1200S
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
post #25 of 30 Old 11-01-2019, 11:04 PM

Garage
I have a 13GT, not a bagger, but I love the bike. Recently took a test ride on two Harley's, a RoadGlide with a fixed fairing like we have, and then a StreetGlide with a fairing that moves with the bars. Interesting bikes, neither are for me, don't like the feet out front seating position. They have good low end torque, but once they get moving they accelerate like a snail. My GT is superior in every regard except the electronics. Both Harleys had a BOOM BOX system. The bike synced with my Cardo Packtalk Bold in seconds. I could actually see the Display, and the GPS, it was twice the size of my Nav, and even in direct sunlight easily read. No digital speedo, but then again I didn't need to turn off my radio to have the speedo come to life. BMW needs to step up the electronics package significantly. The bikes Bluetooth is garbage, and there no excuse for that. The dash needs a facelift and either enlarge the GPS, or bring it closer somehow. I also test rode a new K1600B, and was floored by the difference in engine performance between my bike and the B. The engine on the B seemed significantly detuned.
bikerj likes this.

Iron Butt Association Member#49820
MOA Member #106320
2013 K1600GT Dark Graphite
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite(sold)

Last edited by Northsquad; 11-02-2019 at 12:13 AM.
post #26 of 30 Old 11-03-2019, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsquad View Post
I have a 13GT, not a bagger, but I love the bike. Recently took a test ride on two Harley's, a RoadGlide with a fixed fairing like we have, and then a StreetGlide with a fairing that moves with the bars. Interesting bikes, neither are for me, don't like the feet out front seating position. They have good low end torque, but once they get moving they accelerate like a snail. My GT is superior in every regard except the electronics. Both Harleys had a BOOM BOX system. The bike synced with my Cardo Packtalk Bold in seconds. I could actually see the Display, and the GPS, it was twice the size of my Nav, and even in direct sunlight easily read. No digital speedo, but then again I didn't need to turn off my radio to have the speedo come to life. BMW needs to step up the electronics package significantly. The bikes Bluetooth is garbage, and there no excuse for that. The dash needs a facelift and either enlarge the GPS, or bring it closer somehow. I also test rode a new K1600B, and was floored by the difference in engine performance between my bike and the B. The engine on the B seemed significantly detuned.
I know this is off topic, but could you please direct me to the page on how to setup the packtalk bold to the k16, I have the issue of loss of connection every now and then.
if there is no link, please explain in a new thread.
will really appreciate it buddy.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
post #27 of 30 Old 11-03-2019, 08:24 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid View Post
I know this is off topic, but could you please direct me to the page on how to setup the packtalk bold to the k16, I have the issue of loss of connection every now and then.
if there is no link, please explain in a new thread.
will really appreciate it buddy.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
I had my Packtalk Bold Connected to the K1600 but remember it being less than desirable especially the Music. The Bikes Bluetooth does not transmit in A2DP Protocol so it will not be stereo. But Cardo support told me the way to connect the Bike is via the GPS slot on the Cardo. Follow these instructions but use the bike as the GPS
Hope this helps.

Iron Butt Association Member#49820
MOA Member #106320
2013 K1600GT Dark Graphite
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite(sold)
post #28 of 30 Old 11-03-2019, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
New to me information about the new Indian Challenger. 1. Has hydraulic lifters, no valve adjustments 2. The GPS system comes with 2 years of free updates, no lifetime updates like BMW/Garmin offers. 3. Has cable operated clutch, not hydraulic like the K16. 4. Has a 112 MPH speed limiter. This is without a top case or tour pack. I wonder why?

Here is a link to the video with more details:

Worth noting, Indian hired one of BMW'S designers two years ago, the designer that did the B. Apparently he said this new Indian was targeting Harley, Honda, Yamaha but not necessarily BMW. Our K1600 is the one bike that offers substantially more HP and more features.

Interesting competition.

post #29 of 30 Old 11-10-2019, 01:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikracer99 View Post
uh, pretty sure that is a frame mounted fairing, just sayin'
Rick
I read through the descriptions/specifications and nothing was said about the fairing being frame or fork mounted. I would think that if it is frame mounted, somewhere there would be verbiage stating so since one of the major complaints about Indian (particularly in very windy areas) has been the lack of a frame mounted fairing.

I admit, I have not seen any of the new Indian line-up as we don't have a local dealership..... But I'll take your word for it!
post #30 of 30 Old 11-10-2019, 05:45 PM

The Challenger's speed limiter's max speed is in line with the speed limiter on HD M8 touring bikes. All Indian 111 and 116 bikes have a cable clutch with a light pull.

I've always thought a speed limiter is the collision between lawyers and engineering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page