D-I-Y Maintenance Reference Index - Forum Wisdom Links R1250GS test ride - Page 2 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 21Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 Old 11-01-2019, 11:37 PM
Senior Member
 
dobervol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Middle-TN
Posts: 724
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by K16guy View Post
I'm gonna be that guy.. As nice as beemers are KTM is picking up the slack and their newest 790 ADV R is a **** of a contender for ADV touring use. Good range, good creature comforts for solo use, and great offroad cred too. Fully loaded it's selling for 13k new.
No problem. Lots of KTM fans here, and several people prefer the Super Duke GT to the S1000XR, too. Interestingly, I havenít seen many folks here who prefer the big KTM adv bike to the GS. Maybe thatís because the KTM adv bikes seem to be more hard-core and off-road biased, except for maybe the BMW F850GS.
Pitts likes this.

Joey

2019 K1600GT Option 719 Blue Planet Metallic, Brown Seat, Forged Wheels
2006 K1200S
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
dobervol is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 19 Old 11-02-2019, 10:29 AM
Senior Member
 
Pitts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 4,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobervol View Post
No problem. Lots of KTM fans here, and several people prefer the Super Duke GT to the S1000XR, too. Interestingly, I havenít seen many folks here who prefer the big KTM adv bike to the GS. Maybe thatís because the KTM adv bikes seem to be more hard-core and off-road biased, except for maybe the BMW F850GS.
I used to ride with someone that had a 1290SA and believe me when I say that 160 hp is intoxicating in that bike. He enjoyed spanking us GS guys every chance he got and had his very well sorted for hard off-road use as well. On the spec sheet and on the road, the KTM wins. Off-road and in the heart and soul, the GS wins. I know, that's really subjective and you'd think the KTM would be a better weapon off-road but the low CG of the GS is much more preferable for me. I can ride my GS almost like a trials bike in tight gnarly terrain and I think I'd have more difficulty doing that on the KTM even with the 21" front. Maybe it's just what I'm used to...

'12 K1600GT (gone but not forgotten)
'13 S1000RR (sold it to Allstate)
'14 KLR 650 New Edition (gone and thanks for the memories)
'16 R1200GS Triple Black (for all of it)
'16 KTM Super Duke 1290 R (for the inner hooligan in me)
'18 WR250R (for all of it...but slower)
Pitts is online now  
post #13 of 19 Old 11-02-2019, 06:42 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Slinger, WI
Posts: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by K16guy View Post
I'm gonna be that guy.. As nice as beemers are KTM is picking up the slack and their newest 790 ADV R is a **** of a contender for ADV touring use. Good range, good creature comforts for solo use, and great offroad cred too. Fully loaded it's selling for 13k new.
Before you do, consider taking a long hard look at the Yamaha 700 Tenere arriving next year. I had both on my list but scratched the KTM due to a fair amount of teething pains and lacking Yamaha reliability longer term. Performance numbers suggest they are very close and the Yamaha will be quite a bit cheaper as well. That 700 engine is a peach.
K16guy likes this.

2019 BMW R1250GS
2016 BMW S1000XR
bmac is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 19 Old 11-03-2019, 11:18 AM
Senior Member
 
mkr1966's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Iowa
Posts: 270
Has everyone forgotten about the Multistrada. Best engine of all!
mkr1966 is online now  
post #15 of 19 Old 11-06-2019, 03:35 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac View Post
Before you do, consider taking a long hard look at the Yamaha 700 Tenere arriving next year. I had both on my list but scratched the KTM due to a fair amount of teething pains and lacking Yamaha reliability longer term. Performance numbers suggest they are very close and the Yamaha will be quite a bit cheaper as well. That 700 engine is a peach.
Yup i'm watching for that too. Since i'm on the subject, KTM just (today-ish) announced it's 390 ADV.
K16guy is offline  
post #16 of 19 Old 11-06-2019, 05:54 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Chappaqua, NY
Posts: 1,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkr1966 View Post
Has everyone forgotten about the Multistrada. Best engine of all!
The Multi is a nice bike, but not in the same league as the S1000XR.
GTLen is online now  
post #17 of 19 Old 11-06-2019, 01:49 PM
Senior Member
 
mkr1966's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Iowa
Posts: 270
Sure it isn't...
mkr1966 is online now  
post #18 of 19 Old 11-13-2019, 03:45 PM
Senior Member
 
dobervol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Middle-TN
Posts: 724
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkr1966 View Post
Sure it isn't...
Well, the S1000XR has been objectively measured as a LOT faster than even the new 1260 Multistrada. So tell us exactly where the Multi beats it. I'm sure it's a lot better bike for what some particular people want/need for a particular purpose, but give us some specifics.

Joey

2019 K1600GT Option 719 Blue Planet Metallic, Brown Seat, Forged Wheels
2006 K1200S
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
dobervol is offline  
post #19 of 19 Old 11-13-2019, 07:17 PM
Senior Member
 
maybeinoregon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Oregon
Posts: 995
The 2020 XR is pretty sweet...

TFT, less weight, cornering lamp, 6 axis sensor, keyless ride, lots of new stuff...

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...-bmw-s-1000-xr
maybeinoregon is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome