Looking for information on GTL - Page 3 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 66Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2019, 06:32 AM

Garage
Hi Joe,

After 23,000 miles in a little over 12 months I've learnt a lot about the GTL. Overall its a great bike on a smiles per mile basis. Great engine and good handling. I also have every extra factory fitted and would highly recommend Reverse (she weighs a great deal fully loaded and reverse has been from time to time essential). Hill start is also a great bonus for the same reasons. Quick shift makes the most of the engine, once accustomed to its use you'll never want to go back to using a clutch all the time.

Accessories.

The seat for me was a torture contraption, others have said its OK. I took a leap of faith and ordered a Russel Day Long last winter. What a difference it has made. I can and have ridden for over 1,000 miles in a day and the seat is simply no factor....great comfort all the way which would just have been impossible on the stock seat. I'm 6'5", my Russel is 2" higher than the stock extra tall and therefore the stock screen did not give me the coverage I needed height wise. I replaced it with CalSci XXL. Now I sit in a bubble of calm at all speeds. Stock luggage is adequate but highly recommend bag liners for all three. Its amazing how much more can be loaded and unloading to the tent or hotel is a snap. Wouldn't leave home without them. Wunderlich Media Bag, Dash Bag and Side Stand foot plate again are all essential items. Both bags are so handy, the media bag is connected to an auxiliary USB fed direct from the battery using Optimate cabling and fixtures. The USB charges both my phone and a Power Pack. The extended side stand footplate is a must, soft ground will cause a tipover if not very careful.

Problems.

Maybe I've been unlucky. Issues with the bike started within a day of delivery and have continued to date. Failed Speed Sensors, Lean Angle Sensors, Screen Cracking, Electrical fittings, Hill Start Failure, NAV VI failure, GPS cradle failure x 2, Handle Bar loose switching clusters etc etc. However the biggest problems, evident since delivery from new, are as still outstanding. Oil Consumption and the infamous Left Pull. My bike uses a liter of oil on average every 1,000-1,200 miles. The left pull is a pain in the a** .

Would I buy a GTL again.....most probably as there is nothing to compare it with currently on the market for what I need. Fast long distance touring is my order of the day. BMW are currently fixing the OIL and PULL issues....hopefully and have had the bike for a month so far

2018 BMW K1600GTL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2019, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Titensor View Post
The guy that does videos called "living on the slab" found on YouTube traded a Vision for an 18 BMW K1600 GTL. He explains why the trade and what he thinks about the bike. You might find interesting. It's even a white GTL.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk
Thanks, I just finished watching his 3 part series, good information! Funny thing is he has exactly what I'm looking for!! 2018 White K1600 GTL
Geoff_3 likes this.

2006 HD Road Glide
2009 Victory Vision Tour Premium
2009 Victory Tour
Future: 2018 BMW K1600GTL???
Old 11-04-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe schmoe View Post
Thanks but that's the wrong side of the country! I'm in East Tennessee! I've test ridden one, a couple of years ago...Didn't however, take the wife.
Maybe consider a flight to Vegas with the wife, for a night out and a day ride in the mountains near there, or out to California. You're about to spend 25k +, it would be wise to spend 1K making sure you can live it. You can't get your hands on a new one right now anyway, until maybe next year, or even spring next year. Why is it a big deal on a K1600? Because of the demographics of the bikes for sale with low mileage, that you just don't get on touring bikes like the Honda Goldwings for example. Of the used K1600's advertised over the last couple of years, many have low low miles for a tourer, and some have not been owned long before selling them again. Why? Love it or hate it kinda bike? I love mine, so mine is a one-sided opinion.
Geoff_3 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksam View Post
Of the used K1600's advertised over the last couple of years, many have low low miles for a tourer, and some have not been owned long before selling them again. Why? Love it or hate it kinda bike? I love mine, so mine is a one-sided opinion.
I bought my 2018 GTL used with 1200 miles on it. The previous owner didn't "hate" it. The guy was 70 years old and realized after buying it new that it was too much bike for him to handle. I looked at a few other slightly used GTLs before deciding on the on the one I bought, and it was basically the same story. I bought my previous K1200LT from a 74 year old guy in the same situation. Of course, there are other reasons for selling -- change in financial situation, no time to ride, etc. But hate it?? Unless you can show some credible study on reasons for selling that show hate as a motivating factor, your reasoning might need some revising.

Regardless, buying a slightly used K16 can save $7,000-$10,000 (or more) over the price of new. It's an option very much worth looking into.
Vandaldog, kotr, Geoff_3 and 1 others like this.
Old 11-04-2019, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS1955 View Post
Regardless, buying a slightly used K16 can save $7,000-$10,000 (or more) over the price of new. It's an option very much worth looking into.
I really like the 2019 black and silver GT Sport but just couldn't justify the $7,000 difference between it and the gently used 2018 Mars Red GT I ended up flying to Minnesota for.
Geoff_3 and JohnS1955 like this.

2018 K1600 GT Mars Red Metallic
► There exists a group of people who believe that 2 > 4.
► "I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol." ó Steven Wright
► No government, constitution or law gives you any rights... breathing does.
Old 11-04-2019, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afhorsley View Post
Hi Joe,

After 23,000 miles in a little over 12 months I've learnt a lot about the GTL. Overall its a great bike on a smiles per mile basis. Great engine and good handling. I also have every extra factory fitted and would highly recommend Reverse (she weighs a great deal fully loaded and reverse has been from time to time essential). Hill start is also a great bonus for the same reasons. Quick shift makes the most of the engine, once accustomed to its use you'll never want to go back to using a clutch all the time.

Accessories.

The seat for me was a torture contraption, others have said its OK. I took a leap of faith and ordered a Russel Day Long last winter. What a difference it has made. I can and have ridden for over 1,000 miles in a day and the seat is simply no factor....great comfort all the way which would just have been impossible on the stock seat. I'm 6'5", my Russel is 2" higher than the stock extra tall and therefore the stock screen did not give me the coverage I needed height wise. I replaced it with CalSci XXL. Now I sit in a bubble of calm at all speeds. Stock luggage is adequate but highly recommend bag liners for all three. Its amazing how much more can be loaded and unloading to the tent or hotel is a snap. Wouldn't leave home without them. Wunderlich Media Bag, Dash Bag and Side Stand foot plate again are all essential items. Both bags are so handy, the media bag is connected to an auxiliary USB fed direct from the battery using Optimate cabling and fixtures. The USB charges both my phone and a Power Pack. The extended side stand footplate is a must, soft ground will cause a tipover if not very careful.

Problems.

Maybe I've been unlucky. Issues with the bike started within a day of delivery and have continued to date. Failed Speed Sensors, Lean Angle Sensors, Screen Cracking, Electrical fittings, Hill Start Failure, NAV VI failure, GPS cradle failure x 2, Handle Bar loose switching clusters etc etc. However the biggest problems, evident since delivery from new, are as still outstanding. Oil Consumption and the infamous Left Pull. My bike uses a liter of oil on average every 1,000-1,200 miles. The left pull is a pain in the a** .

Would I buy a GTL again.....most probably as there is nothing to compare it with currently on the market for what I need. Fast long distance touring is my order of the day. BMW are currently fixing the OIL and PULL issues....hopefully and have had the bike for a month so far
Thanks for the post. I had all the same questions on my '18 gtl (and some niggles) you just addressed. I will get them sorted out because this bike is just delicious. Left pull and GPS cradle are persistent. I haven't owned it long enough to experience the oil over consumption but will keep an eye peeled for it. Bren just emailed that my ECU is on the way back to me.
Geoff_3 likes this.

Fargo, ND

2018 GTL purchased 10/6/2019
Old 11-04-2019, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS1955 View Post
I bought my 2018 GTL used with 1200 miles on it. The previous owner didn't "hate" it. The guy was 70 years old and realized after buying it new that it was too much bike for him to handle. I looked at a few other slightly used GTLs before deciding on the on the one I bought, and it was basically the same story. I bought my previous K1200LT from a 74 year old guy in the same situation. Of course, there are other reasons for selling -- change in financial situation, no time to ride, etc. But hate it?? Unless you can show some credible study on reasons for selling that show hate as a motivating factor, your reasoning might need some revising.

Agreed, I'm looking at a used 2018 GTL, several to choose from, just got to save my pennies before I pull the trigger...
Geoff_3 and JohnS1955 like this.

2006 HD Road Glide
2009 Victory Tour
Old 11-04-2019, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by afhorsley View Post
Hi Joe,

Accessories.

Problems.

Thanks afhorsley...Great information...Might shoot you a PM for more details on some of the add on gear....
Geoff_3 likes this.

2006 HD Road Glide
2009 Victory Tour
Old 11-04-2019, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksam View Post
Maybe consider a flight to Vegas with the wife, for a night out and a day ride in the mountains near there, or out to California. You're about to spend 25k +, it would be wise to spend 1K making sure you can live it. You can't get your hands on a new one right now anyway, until maybe next year, or even spring next year. Why is it a big deal on a K1600? Because of the demographics of the bikes for sale with low mileage, that you just don't get on touring bikes like the Honda Goldwings for example. Of the used K1600's advertised over the last couple of years, many have low low miles for a tourer, and some have not been owned long before selling them again. Why? Love it or hate it kinda bike? I love mine, so mine is a one-sided opinion.

Geez.......it's a saying.....the bottom line is, there seem to be more riders who decide the K1600 is not their cup of tea after short ownership. Ok, the 70 year old was intimidated, maybe a 40 year old can be intimidated, too, eh? The previous owner if my bike was a Navy Seal, bought it cash from a BMW dealer. Put on ztech tallest windshield, wunderlich handle bar risers, maybe even taller seat, and then traded it 3 years later with low miles 3 years later. on a Harley I didn't ask, or want to know why he traded it as it was immaterial. But I think it's a pretty good guess that he wasn't intimidated by the K1600. The evidence would suggest that he couldn't get comfortable because of the mods he did. Or something else made him go to Harley. A daylong test ride with the wife would give the original poster clarity. I do not know of any dealerships that give daylong test rides on new K1600's in November 2019.
Geoff_3 and joe schmoe like this.

Last edited by ksam; 11-04-2019 at 09:35 PM.
Old 11-04-2019, 11:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe schmoe View Post
Thanks but that's the wrong side of the country! I'm in East Tennessee! I've test ridden one, a couple of years ago...Didn't however, take the wife.
Round-trip, Nashville to Las Vegas. Two adults, 130 bucks.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191104-205904_Firefox.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	133804  
Geoff_3 and bikerj like this.

-Stephen! (The rider formerly known as smv)
--
There is NO need to tailgate me when I am doing 50 in a 35 zone... and those flashing lights on top of your car look ridiculous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in