Looking for information on GTL - Page 4 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 66Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 37 Old 11-05-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe schmoe View Post
Agreed, I'm looking at a used 2018 GTL, several to choose from, just got to save my pennies before I pull the trigger...
And you'll still have around 2 years left on the warranty. Good luck with the pennies and the search.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksam View Post
Geez.......it's a saying.....the bottom line is, there seem to be more riders who decide the K1600 is not their cup of tea after short ownership.
The "saying" has a direct meaning that you're now trying to backtrack from.

I acknowledged there were many reasons why an owner sells his K16 after a short period of time. My opinion is "hate" and "not their cup of tea" are not the majority reasons. BMW is a nitche motorcycle market. The majority of K16s sold (GT and GTLs) are to prior BMW owners who understand the brand and the line-up. They're already seasoned BMW riders. Not many of those are selling because they suddenly decide they hate a model that's an upgrade to a BMW bike they already own.

For guys coming over directly from Harley? Maybe. As comfortable and capable as the K16 can be, the model is not a rolling couch. You don't get to put a costume on and become and implicitly become a member of a "club". That kind of change can be a shock to the system, and maybe trigger an early bike divorce.

Anyway, I hope this helps thinking about the used K16 market.
Geoff_3 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 Old 11-05-2019, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS1955 View Post
And you'll still have around 2 years left on the warranty. Good luck with the pennies and the search.

The "saying" has a direct meaning that you're now trying to backtrack from.

I acknowledged there were many reasons why an owner sells his K16 after a short period of time. My opinion is "hate" and "not their cup of tea" are not the majority reasons. BMW is a nitche motorcycle market. The majority of K16s sold (GT and GTLs) are to prior BMW owners who understand the brand and the line-up. They're already seasoned BMW riders. Not many of those are selling because they suddenly decide they hate a model that's an upgrade to a BMW bike they already own.

For guys coming over directly from Harley? Maybe. As comfortable and capable as the K16 can be, the model is not a rolling couch. You don't get to put a costume on and become and implicitly become a member of a "club". That kind of change can be a shock to the system, and maybe trigger an early bike divorce.

Anyway, I hope this helps thinking about the used K16 market.
BWHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! I started out in the "club" mentality and drank the Kool-Aid....I got wise and moved to Victory, especially when I got SPANKED on my RG by another Vision.... I love riding my Vision, but seeing the bottom dropped out of Victory by Polaris. I tested the GTL about 3 or 4 years ago for about 30 minutes and it was quite pleasurable!!

I'll take another ride and confirm what I remember...Thanks for the insight!!
Geoff_3 and Jwmead72 like this.

2006 HD Road Glide
2009 Victory Vision Tour Premium
2009 Victory Tour
Future: 2018 BMW K1600GTL???

Last edited by joe schmoe; 11-05-2019 at 07:39 PM.
post #33 of 37 Old 11-05-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
BWHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! I started out in the "club" mentality and drank the Kool-Aid....I got wise and moved to Victory and love riding my Vision, but seeing the bottom dropped out of them. I tested the GTL for about 30 minutes and it was quite pleasurable!!

I'll take another ride and confirm what I remember...Thanks for the insight!!
For what it's worth, I too started out in the "club" and dove in head first. I had my official vest, chaps, brain bucket and all the other trimmings. A test ride of the R1200RT 15 years ago was my first step to recovery. More than once, I've talked to Harley people standing over and staring at my parked GTL like it was an alien space ship. The divide between the two worlds is fascinating. All I can say is I'm glad that I crossed it.
Geoff_3, joe schmoe and Jwmead72 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 37 Old 11-06-2019, 11:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS1955 View Post
For what it's worth, I too started out in the "club" and dove in head first. I had my official vest, chaps, brain bucket and all the other trimmings. A test ride of the R1200RT 15 years ago was my first step to recovery. More than once, I've talked to Harley people standing over and staring at my parked GTL like it was an alien space ship. The divide between the two worlds is fascinating. All I can say is I'm glad that I crossed it.

I am finding more of the Harley guys are really starting to give the BMWs and Goldwings more serious looks now, as compared to 10-20 years ago, but this is the aging crowd of your typical "Harley Guy" and may be some realization that there are good bikes out there outside of Harley's spectrum

As far as the original post was fishing for, I bought the manual on CD that seems to be a copy of the dealer manual. That thing reads like a Chinese calculus equation for time travel. while all the information you need is there, it is not at all user friendly and takes a while to figure out for a first time user. But it is nice to be able to print yourself a page to walk out to the shop with and not worry about greasing up a $100 shop manual. But TBH, I have gotten more information from this forum and YouTube, along with the tips and tricks that make life a lot easier on yourself. Case and point: Xenon headlight bulb replacement. Found out on the forum here that you can access the headlight cover and change the bulb by simply taking the handlebars off, as compared to a surgical procedure that would have taken half the day, that otherwise the shop charges close to $500 for to change a bulb that costs $60 on Amazon...

The stereo speakers suck, and there have been folks that have put some real money into their bikes to get something decent with them. Just use the Bluetooth, its better anyway. But the stereo/Bluetooth isn't that great either and there are also fixes for that as well, which have also been discussed in the forum.

Used bikes are about to get cheaper with the offseason, and the 2019 stock is starting to go into discount mode, especially at large dealerships. Consider this vs. waiting until the riding season gets started next year when everything goes into profit mode and prices go back up in the spring.

Good Luck!
Geoff_3 and joe schmoe like this.

2014 BMW K1600 GTL
2007 BMW R1200GS Adventure (sold)
2001 Triumph Speed Triple 955i
2009 Yamaha FJR 1300 (sold)
2006 Triumph Sprint ST (RIP)
*A few others
MOA Member #200130
post #35 of 37 Old 11-07-2019, 06:01 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwmead72 View Post
I am finding more of the Harley guys are really starting to give the BMWs and Goldwings more serious looks now, as compared to 10-20 years ago, but this is the aging crowd of your typical "Harley Guy" and may be some realization that there are good bikes out there outside of Harley's spectrum

As far as the original post was fishing for, I bought the manual on CD that seems to be a copy of the dealer manual. That thing reads like a Chinese calculus equation for time travel. while all the information you need is there, it is not at all user friendly and takes a while to figure out for a first time user. But it is nice to be able to print yourself a page to walk out to the shop with and not worry about greasing up a $100 shop manual. But TBH, I have gotten more information from this forum and YouTube, along with the tips and tricks that make life a lot easier on yourself. Case and point: Xenon headlight bulb replacement. Found out on the forum here that you can access the headlight cover and change the bulb by simply taking the handlebars off, as compared to a surgical procedure that would have taken half the day, that otherwise the shop charges close to $500 for to change a bulb that costs $60 on Amazon...

The stereo speakers suck, and there have been folks that have put some real money into their bikes to get something decent with them. Just use the Bluetooth, its better anyway. But the stereo/Bluetooth isn't that great either and there are also fixes for that as well, which have also been discussed in the forum.

Used bikes are about to get cheaper with the offseason, and the 2019 stock is starting to go into discount mode, especially at large dealerships. Consider this vs. waiting until the riding season gets started next year when everything goes into profit mode and prices go back up in the spring.

Good Luck!
Thanks for the heads up on shop manual....I failed Chinese calculus equation for time travel in class!

I've found 2018's with less than a 1000 miles on each. Just got to figure out what a good price is for them and see which dealer is hungry for making a deal...
Geoff_3 likes this.

2006 HD Road Glide
2009 Victory Vision Tour Premium
2009 Victory Tour
Future: 2018 BMW K1600GTL???
post #36 of 37 Old 11-07-2019, 10:31 AM

Garage
Quote:
Thanks for the heads up on shop manual....I failed Chinese calculus equation for time travel in class!

I've found 2018's with less than a 1000 miles on each. Just got to figure out what a good price is for them and see which dealer is hungry for making a deal...
Just keep in mind that the dealer has to make a little money too. After that, a good deal is one you both are happy with.
Geoff_3 and joe schmoe like this.

Freedom is the miles I'm rollin' on!

2014 GTL
2016 S1000 XR
post #37 of 37 Old 11-08-2019, 10:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to Geoff_3
Quote:
Darbinco,

Thanks for the response... Yeah, I found a thread regarding ear plugs/buds will be checking it out if the thread doesn't end abruptly!

Good to know mods and tuners are available, always like to get more performance although it doesn't sound like much is needed.

Yes, I'm very familiar with tires lasting about 6K, I used to run Avon Cobras on my Vision and would go through them all the time about 5 to 6K. I like to ride aggressively and have actually passed several crotch rockets on the Dragon and Cherohala Skyway...Especially when I had a fresh set of Cobras on...

Thanks about the de-tuning on the 18 and newer models hadn't seen that everywhere else! good info!!
Joe. I think that Darbinco addressed all your questions and you asked the correct ones. I had a Victory Crossroads and 2 Indian Road Masters that I loved and like you ran Avon Cobras because the Dunlop E3`s were crap especially in the rain. Over the years I have also had 3 x RT`s and 2 x GTL`s the last was a 2017 and loved it and waiting for BMW to release the new 2019 with the Stop Sale recall, so I dought you will be unhappy with the performance or handling of the BMW`s. As mentioned above buy the latest model that you can afford as most of the issues have been ironed out. No matter what you buy these days they all have some sort of issue even if it is just a small one but BMW do back their products, my local dealership has done warranty work on bikes that are 2 or 3 years out of warranty and BMW have backed it up in most cases. As for tires you buy what you're happy with but go with popular brands like Michelin, Pirelli, Continental, etc and you can't go wrong too much. Most of the tires used on the K1600 and Rt`s are a softer compound compared to the Indian and Victory and Harleys but they are more cruiser type bikes as you know. Good luck and great to see you doing your homework so you can make an informed decision when you're ready.

2019 BMW k1600GTL: 2019 BMW R1250RT: 2018 Indian Road Master: 2017 BMW K1600GTL: 2016 BMW R1200RT:
2013 Victory Cross Roads Classic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page