Helite Turtle 2 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 Old 11-03-2019, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Helite Turtle 2

Been riding for 30 years and recently decided to buy a Helite vest. Bought one from Revzilla and wore it today for a few hour ride on the coast. I'm 6'0", 260, and bought the XLL size. It fits great and I really didn't notice that I was wearing it. I attached the rip cord around the front seat anchor point and there's enough left of the pig tail to attach to the vest with a little bit of play in it.

So... if I've been riding for 30 years without a Helite, why now? Maybe it's an older and wiser thing, and that's probably part of it, but I like technology and I like the idea how it can improve my odds. I've read a few stories of folks that were wearing them when they had accidents and it sure sounds like they helped. I'd read that some folks said they were super hot and interfered with mesh jackets, yet I didn't really sense that it increased the temp. It was probably in the mid to high 60s today and it was just a vest. Maybe I'll feel differently when it's 100 degrees out. We'll see.

All the way throughout the ride I reminded myself to unhook myself from the tether when I got off the bike - sure enough, about 90 minutes into the ride I stopped for lunch and forgot to unhook the tether. I'm happy to say that I felt a slight tug and looked down and saw that I needed to unhook... lol. Glad it didn't inflate.

Didn't really think about getting good pictures of it - I'll find a friend the next time I'm out and get better pictures, but here it is on top of a First Gear 37.5 jacket:

And, of course, what post would be complete without a snap of my ride?

Bike has a Sergent seat and backrest, an RKA Shiloh, and - if you look close - a Spot device in the map case on the Shiloh.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 11-03-2019, 08:53 PM

Garage
I've been looking real hard at getting one as well. Gone to Revzilla twice now with it in the cart....just need to push my finger down on that little buy button.

Gosh dang...I will be that one that throws my leg off the bike and blows that thing up. If that happens in the parking lot I'll just stay cool...reach for my tire like I'm checking the tire pressure or something and just get back on my bike and ride home like nothing happened. I can see it now.
Vandaldog likes this.
post #3 of 39 Old 11-03-2019, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuzman View Post
I've been looking real hard at getting one as well. Gone to Revzilla twice now with it in the cart....just need to push my finger down on that little buy button.

Gosh dang...I will be that one that throws my leg off the bike and blows that thing up. If that happens in the parking lot I'll just stay cool...reach for my tire like I'm checking the tire pressure or something and just get back on my bike and ride home like nothing happened. I can see it now.

That's exactly what I did... it requires 60 lbs of pull (I think...) before it will go off. Obviously I haven't "used" it, but I've read enough online to know it's pretty cheap insurance.

https://onlytwowheels.com/reviews/he...2-airbag-vest/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 Old 11-03-2019, 11:31 PM

Give Zak a call at Helite Motors for a price before you push the buy button. 510-595-3300. He gave me a terrific deal on a vest earlier this year. He has posted on this forum from time to time and last year had a super Black Friday Deal for K16 Forum members.

I have had 2 fusion surgeries on my back in past 2 years and need protection so I dont ruin the Doc's masterpiece (his words not mine). I had an incident recently where a fellow rider hit my back tire while I was stopped and in the midst of taking off my gloves and unhooking the tether. Thank God it wasn't unhooked when the bike went off the side stand and I went down face first. The vest went off with a bang and other than knocking the wind out of me I was unhurt. The vest kept my spine as well as my neck straight by contacting under the bottom helmet. The only downside was having difficulty breathing while the bag was inflated for the several minutes before it starts to deflate. I have since added additional slack (approx. 1.5") in the buckles to prevent this from happening again.

Since the vest open a few inches in the front and my arms get air I dont notice it much at temps under 90. Over 90 it is still not bad enough for me to risk removing it. I'm 5'10" 200 lbs and bought a LL. Dan
Kuzman likes this.
post #5 of 39 Old 11-04-2019, 12:38 AM

I have one of their full jackets and it’s great. The tether is a very minor nuisance. You will never set the thing off accidentally unless you try really hard. I also have a Dainese airbag jacket that needs no tether—but does it work? Hope I never find out. This sort of technology has saved many lives on the track and thankfully it is now available for the street.
post #6 of 39 Old 11-04-2019, 09:20 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Kerner View Post
You will never set the thing off accidentally unless you try really hard.
Oh, yes you will

I know I have

Paul
1984 Honda V65 Magna
1985 BMW K100RT
2011 BMW K1600GTL - gone
2018 BMW K1600GTL
post #7 of 39 Old 11-04-2019, 09:38 AM

Garage
Helite Turtle 2

Been seriously thinking about the Helite Turtle 2.

How many of you riders have actually utilized the device &
the Helite Turtle 2 has prevented a serious injury??

By the end of the day do not know if I will remember to unhook the device.

Best,

Doc
post #8 of 39 Old 11-04-2019, 09:49 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyculb View Post
Been seriously thinking about the Helite Turtle 2.

How many of you riders have actually utilized the device &
the Helite Turtle 2 has prevented a serious injury??

By the end of the day do not know if I will remember to unhook the device.

Best,

Doc
Why not ask the source.

And

2012 BMW K1600GTL
post #9 of 39 Old 11-04-2019, 11:50 AM

I wore mine all this last riding season. It doesn’t take long to not even know you’re wearing it. It takes 60 pounds of pull to set it off so you are not going to set it off accidentally because it will get your attention long before it goes off.
Makes my wife happy and that’s a good thing.
post #10 of 39 Old 11-04-2019, 02:11 PM

I use it, generally don’t forget to unhook, and on the rare instances when I do, am reminded by the tug when I try to walk away. It takes a mighty pull to trigger the device; more force than the force of merely walking the one half step away from the bike before one is stopped by the tug on the lanyard.
No one can say whether the vest saved him/her from injury in a crash or get off. Some have walked away from high speed crashes without injury despite the absence of any gear at all. Some have been killed in minor get offs despite wearing all the gear.
This said, I can tell this tale:
Riding my R1250GS at 4:00 am to a meet up with friends in Pa., a distance away from my home, my GPS directed me from a highway onto local streets to link up with another highway. Proceeding on the local streets in the dark at a fairly good clip given the lack of traffic, the GPS gave audio instruction that I should be in the right hand lane of the two lane street. I followed its direction even though I observed that, not far ahead, I was to make a left hand turn. As I approached that turn, the GPS gave the audio instruction to prepare to turn left. I did so by attempting to change lanes from the right to the left hand lane.
In a flash, I was on the ground, my bike sliding in front of me, as I later was able to determine, on its crash bar, pannier mount and left bar end.
My get off was hard and sudden. As I discovered while on the ground, there was a six to inch tall, six inch wide, concrete curb painted black, the same color as the street, separating the right hand lane from the left hand lane, which started a few feet back from where I began to turn into the left lane. I cannot fathom its purpose. It was a classic edge trap, and it did me in.
My Helite vest had popped as it was designed to do. My only damage was a ripped left side sleeve of my one piece Aerostitch. I was wholly unharmed. Did the vest save me? Can’t say with any degree of provable certainty, but my fall was hard enough that I reasonably would have expected to have had some injury.
Unfortunately, they don’t make blow up gear for motorcycles. Fortunately, SM Motech does make fairly stout and effective crash bars for my bike.
After getting my wits about me after the crash, I picked up the bike, checked for leaks, found none, reset the mirror that had been jarred loose, got back on the bike and rode the rest of the trip to my meetup, rode the day’s spirited ride with my friends and made the trip home.
Once home, I took further inventory of the bike’s damage and found that the crash bar had not only been deeply scratched but It had also been bent beyond any repair. this was not a gentle drop. I replaced it, the left hand mirror, which had been scraped up, the left side bar end, also scraped, and the left side pannier mount, which had been both scraped and bent. My Aero was sent to the company for repair. My bike and suit were fully restored. i needed no repair of any kind.
I’m glad I was wearing the vest!
danbrew, garyculb and Bluenoser like this.

Last edited by GTLen; 11-04-2019 at 02:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page