BMW/Harley Davidson. - Page 3 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 29 Old 11-10-2019, 11:52 PM

Garage
Harley dealer here in St Charles IL (far west Chicago suburb) added BMW last December around the time Countryside closed up shop. Haven't been there yet. Long time exclusive BMW is in Barrington which is 25 miles away. New dealer is .9 miles from my house. Only 2 in Chicago area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 Old 11-11-2019, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkschmidt View Post
Harley dealer here in St Charles IL (far west Chicago suburb) added BMW last December around the time Countryside closed up shop. Haven't been there yet. Long time exclusive BMW is in Barrington which is 25 miles away. New dealer is .9 miles from my house. Only 2 in Chicago area.

I am familiar with Cyclewerks, the BMW dealership you mention in Barrington, IL. Had service done there, almost bought my 2018 GT there while I was visiting family.

Great place!! 847 381-8050 is their number, might consider adding to contacts if ever on a long haul through northwest suburban Illinois area and need something for the bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom
2018, K1600GT, Mars Red
2015 K1600GT (sold)
2012 K1600GT (sold)
post #23 of 29 Old 11-11-2019, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Coleman View Post
I spent all of last month with my wife in her hometown of Fortaleza, Brazil (population 2.6M). While there we dropped by the BMW Motorrad dealership and were surprised to see that the entire facility (fairly large) is shared with BMW automotive. Exterior/interior design and layout was pretty much as you would expect from BMW, and the floor space was split down the middle with bikes on one side and cars on the other. Although sales and service donít overlap between the two, Iím sure they gain some efficiencies by co-locating. It seems to work for them, maybe not so much here in the states (although Iím not aware of a similar BMW arrangement here.) The showroom floor had all 2019 GS models represented, but the sales rep I spoke with said they never had a K or RT, at least not in recent memory...no real demand for them in that part of Brazil.
here in South Africa, all BMW Motorrad dealerships are shared with the BMW car dealerships. No stand alone Motorrad dealers.
Seems to work well. just from my house, there must be at least 10 dealers within a 30km radius, and it's the same in all major cities around the country, so it seems very successful.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 29 Old 11-12-2019, 12:22 AM

Garage
I would like to see Motorrad and auto dealerships combined. Would definitely put more dealerships on the map.

2012 BMW K1600GT - Akropovic exhaust, Aeroflow screen, Ilium crash bars and highway pegs, Lamin-x headlamp protector, Adaptiv TPX radar detector
post #25 of 29 Old 11-14-2019, 10:35 PM

In RI there is one BMW dealer, Razees, and he sells Japanese and Italian bikes too. Several Harley only dealers in the state. Once in a blue moon a Harley bike will appear in Razees used bike building. This is a biker only shop, old fashioned, bikers stop by to chat. No way would they ever take on the BMW building design, or a BMW car dealership. Totally different clientel that doesn't mix. Maybe it's just me, but I see a lot less bikers on the road the last 10 years at all the popular destination spots. Motorrads however there seem to be more, although still few and far between.

I can see BMW car and Motorrad dealerships occupy the same building in some states, and certainly Brazil for the GS. Although, the Kawi 650 GS is prolly a hot seller there or Hondas Africa twin being sold along the GS. The K bikes and RT's aren't really suitable for Central and South America even the GS is kinda heavy for dirt roads that get washed out frequently. Dirt bikes are really useful there, everywhere.

Last edited by ksam; 11-14-2019 at 10:44 PM.
post #26 of 29 Old 11-14-2019, 10:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksam View Post
In RI there is one BMW dealer, Razees, and he sells Japanese and Italian bikes too. Several Harley only dealers in the state. Once in a blue moon a Harley bike will appear in Razees used bike building. This is a biker only shop, old fashioned, bikers stop by to chat. No way would they ever take on the BMW building design, or a BMW car dealership. Totally different clientel that doesn't mix. Maybe it's just me, but I see a lot less bikers on the road the last 10 years at all the popular destination spots. Motorrads however there seem to be more, although still few and far between.

I can see BMW car and Motorrad dealerships occupy the same building in some states, and certainly Brazil for the GS. Although, the Kawi 650 GS is prolly a hot seller there or Hondas Africa twin being sold along the GS. The K bikes and RT's aren't really suitable for Central and South America even the GS is kinda heavy for dirt roads that get washed out frequently. Dirt bikes are really useful there, everywhere.
Two of our biggest BMW automotive dealerships are also Motorrad dealerships, dedicated floor space, pretty knowledgeable staff. Not aware of a dealer in the area, maybe in Barrie that carries BMW and something else. In the summer there are a Sh*t ton of bikes running around here. Biker gatherings are well attended, seems like there is a bike destination/event every weekend during the season. Lots of BMW bikes on the road although far more HD.

2012 BMW K1600GTL
post #27 of 29 Old 11-15-2019, 02:55 PM

Location: SE Ohio at the border of Ohio/Kentucky/West Virginia
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
Seems like that if combining brands helps keep a dealer in your area, itís a good thing. My closest dealer is 300 miles away. There is a city of near 300,000 population within 35 miles. No BMW dealer. A young man tried to put in a BMW store. At the time BMW would approve his building. They wanted a complete remodel to a very nice facility. They also would not allow him to sell another brand of any kind. He was already prepared for the investment in tech training, special tools, parts, and inventory, and etc. This area probably has one of the lowest per capita ownership of BMW bikes in the country. I know a lot of people who would buy one, but not willing to go so far away. Doesnít make sense to me.
There's a BMW/HD dealer in Louisville KY that's about 75% Harley Davidson. My closest BMW dealer is in Athens, Ohio and is no more than a fairly nice garage. That dealer has been there forever though and probably before BMW even cared about visual presentation much. Sucks that it's the closest one though and over an hour away at that.
DLL66 likes this.
post #28 of 29 Old 11-16-2019, 08:44 AM

There is a Harley, BMW and Ducati shop all under one roof in Gaithersburg MD.
post #29 of 29 Old 11-18-2019, 04:12 PM

Garage
Motorcycle sales in general are not what they used to be, seems a lot of dealers are now selling "the other guy's" motorcycle.
Fer instance: stopped by a brand H store, looking at the new Wings with a 7 speed dct transmission asked sales guy how they are selling.
Sales guy's response didn't come with a lot of smiles.
RB Gary

Good judgement comes from experience;
Experience comes from bad judgement.

Last edited by RBGary; 11-18-2019 at 04:12 PM. Reason: spell correction
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page