How many have a front fender extender on lat model K bikes? - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 Old 11-09-2019, 06:37 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Geoff_3
How many have a front fender extender on lat model K bikes?

Just wondering how many have a front fender extender on their late-model K series bike say 2018 up on the GT and GTL.? Any info on brand preference or issues with rubbing on any part of the bike and the price you would pay for one?
I have noted a few brands including one from China and I dare say most would be produced someplace in Asia in any case. Love to hear your thoughts thanks.

2019 BMW k1600GTL: 2019 BMW R1250RT: 2018 Indian Road Master: 2017 BMW K1600GTL: 2016 BMW R1200RT:
2013 Victory Cross Roads Classic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 11-09-2019, 07:37 AM

I put a Wunderlich one on my bike. Not the cheapest, but it fits properly without fouling on anything and includes an additional bracket to support the mudguard from the brake pipe union.
pkpr1998, Geoff_3 and SteveWW like this.

Phil
2019 K1600 GT Sport
2015 W212 E63 AMG
post #3 of 37 Old 11-09-2019, 07:40 AM

Garage
I installed the Wunderlich fender extender. Works great
pkpr1998, jryan19 and Geoff_3 like this.

Steve Wessels
Holland, MI
2018 K1600B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 Old 11-09-2019, 07:51 AM

Garage
I also have installed the Wunderlich fender extender and am happy that it is keeping more road debris out of the radiator. Pricey, but doesn’t rub on the tire and doesn’t contact anything. BMW should have made a longer front fender to begin with.
pkpr1998 and Geoff_3 like this.
post #5 of 37 Old 11-09-2019, 07:56 AM

I recently bought the Wunderlich to install as a winter project along with the shock change.
Geoff_3 likes this.
post #6 of 37 Old 11-09-2019, 08:19 AM

Garage
Wunderlich here also. Does it's job well.

Sent using Tapatalk
Geoff_3 likes this.

"I know I was born, I know that I will die, the in between is mine" Pearl Jam
post #7 of 37 Old 11-09-2019, 08:21 AM

I'm not sure there's any difference between early and late model fenders and radiators. Though I'm out of spec for the years you're looking for information, my 14 GTL/E has the Wunderlich Fender Extender. It's more then just the ABS piece that glues/rivets into position, it has an ancillary bracket that keeps the extender from rubbing on the tire by keeping it up and away from the tire. The bracket is attached to the fender via a two new holes you'll have to make into the fender. Here's the US website for it. Fender Extender K1600 (#32211002) Wunderlich Editions 32211002 | BMW Wunderlich America

This accessory is expensive compared to the other extenders and that's due to capitalism and the extra bracket. I had the less expensive one and it rubbed against the tire at higher speeds which caused it to be noisy. I replaced it with the Wunderlich. It has been doing its job without issue. My fender is much less beat up now with dirt, and the radiator is not getting nearly as dirty as it was previously. Honestly both the Wunderlich and non-Wunderlich extenders are about the same size, but that bracket makes all the difference.

If you've the resources to fabricate a bracket for the Chinese brand, I seriously doubt you'd see any difference between that and the Wunderlich. You can see what that bracket is and how it mounts from their website (http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/ins...s/32211002.pdf)

The only thing you'll need to remember is to tell who ever is changing your front tire that the bracket is there. That's because the front fender typically comes off with the 4 Torx screws before they can remove the tire from the bike. The fender extender is now attached to the bike while normally it isn't. While not required, I ask the tech who's reassembling my fender to put some type of non-permanent thread-locker on the one screw that is needed to be removed for disassembly (picture #9 in the instructions) of the bracket that mounts to the bike (leave the two screws that attach to the fender alone). Here in the US Loctite® Threadlocker Blue 242® is commonly (but not exclusively) used https://www.loctiteproducts.com/en/p...erblue242.html

Good luck.
Geoff_3 likes this.

Entropy isn't what it used to be.
post #8 of 37 Old 11-09-2019, 09:39 AM

Garage
Same here...,Wunderlich and a RadGuard with no issues at all.

Juan
BMWGuy and Geoff_3 like this.

2018 K1600B
2018 KTM 500 EXC-F
2017 Indian Roadmaster
2005 Victory Kingpin Arlen Ness
post #9 of 37 Old 11-09-2019, 09:45 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldado View Post
Same here...,Wunderlich and a RadGuard with no issues at all.
Me too, one of the first things I did when I got the bike after reading the forums here and taking the advice.

Seems to be working fine so far.
BMWGuy and Geoff_3 like this.

Kev

Current
2019 K1600 GT Sport

Previous
Honda X11
Honda Blackbird (x2)
Suzuki 1200 Bandit
post #10 of 37 Old 11-09-2019, 10:15 AM

Garage
+1 on the Wunderlich fender extender and the RadGuard radiator guard...
pkpr1998 and Geoff_3 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page