No more BMW K1600's after 2020? - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 279Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 191 Old 12-03-2019, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

No more BMW K1600's after 2020?

Hey guys, I don't want to be the bearer of potentially bad news, but I've been following a series of posts on French K1600 boards that say that there just might not be any more K1600's produced or sold after the 2020 version.

Obviously, there's no confirmation (yet) from BMW, but the reasons advanced for this sudden planned obsolescence of the K1600 is that the coming EURO5 emissions standards are making it hard for BMW to adapt the bike to the standard and that it simply might not be financially worth it for them to keep selling it.

Now, the EURO5 standard doesn't exist outside of the EU, but the region being BMW's main market, it's a very real possibility. Also, carmakers have been downsizing engines for a while now, so it makes sense that the trend would eventually catch up to the bike market too.

Thus far, the information we have is that they won't be producing any more K16's after next summer. The production and sale of the C650 scooter (which doesn't exist in the US, afaik) would also cease.

Having come to the K16 from an RT, I really don't want to go back to one or worse, end up on a Goldwing or a Harley. This news, if true, sucks.

Anybody hear anything about this stateside?
Geoff_3 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 191 Old 12-03-2019, 01:16 PM

Doesn't affect me one way or the other. I have mine already. And intend to keep it. Don't know why I would go backwards.

Joe
Gunnert, Geoff_3 and PLAGUE like this.
post #3 of 191 Old 12-03-2019, 01:19 PM

Garage
That is really bad news, I really enjoy the bike, and I know that there will be a few on the older Market for years to come, my 2015 gt should st last quite a few years and I may pickup a 2020 for a fair price, knowing that many people ride less than 5k miles a year where I've been averaging 20k per year, we know that many of the first version of these bikes have been running well over 100,000 miles, it will be interesting to see what BMW comes with to replace the k1600

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Geoff_3 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 191 Old 12-03-2019, 01:21 PM

Garage
No more BMW K1600's after 2020??????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfmz View Post
Hey guys, I don't want to be the bearer of potentially bad news, but I've been following a series of posts on French K1600 boards that say that there just might not be any more K1600's produced or sold after the 2020 version.

Obviously, there's no confirmation (yet) from BMW, but the reasons advanced for this sudden planned obsolescence of the K1600 is that the coming EURO5 emissions standards are making it hard for BMW to adapt the bike to the standard and that it simply might not be financially worth it for them to keep selling it.

Now, the EURO5 standard doesn't exist outside of the EU, but the region being BMW's main market, it's a very real possibility. Also, carmakers have been downsizing engines for a while now, so it makes sense that the trend would eventually catch up to the bike market too.

Thus far, the information we have is that they won't be producing any more K16's after next summer. The production and sale of the C650 scooter (which doesn't exist in the US, afaik) would also cease.

Having come to the K16 from an RT, I really don't want to go back to one or worse, end up on a Goldwing or a Harley. This news, if true, sucks.

Anybody hear anything about this stateside?

dfmz,

Please provide some links to the references you list:

-series of posts on French K1600 boards
-planned obsolescence of the K1600 is that the coming EURO5 emissions standards are making it hard for BMW to adapt the bike to the standard
-Thus far, the information we have is that they won't be producing any more K16's after next summer. The production and sale of the C650 scooter (which doesn't exist in the US, afaik) would also cease.

Best,

Doc
Geoff_3 likes this.
post #5 of 191 Old 12-03-2019, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyculb View Post
dfmz,

Please provide some links to the references you list:
I figured you guys wouldn't be interested in a French-language website, but sure, no problem at all, here you go!

Connexion

I speak both languages, so let me know if you need clarification.

Edit: It's entirely possible that you won't be able to read said topic unless you're a member. Let me know if you need a pdf version.
Geoff_3 likes this.
post #6 of 191 Old 12-03-2019, 01:57 PM

Quote:
I figured you guys wouldn't be interested in a French-language website, but sure, no problem at all, here you go!

Connexion

Edit: It's entirely possible that you won't be able to read said topic unless you're a member. Let me know if you need a pdf version.
it gives an English option, but you have to log in

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Geoff_3 likes this.

Last edited by vistavette; 12-03-2019 at 02:07 PM.
post #7 of 191 Old 12-03-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:

Connexion

Might need to post a pdf version, as you need to be a member to join into the forum section.
Geoff_3 likes this.
post #8 of 191 Old 12-03-2019, 02:07 PM

Garage
does seem strange when we saw the 1800cc boxer engine the other day
post #9 of 191 Old 12-03-2019, 02:22 PM

Garage
Let's put it this way, consider ourselves LUCKY !!! We all own one by now. Anyhow, BMW will never kill the 1600 in the US. It will take a long f...n time for us here to comply. American cycle riders love big blocks. No way it will happen here. Mine will stay and will burn tires till she starts costing me too much due to high mileage. Happy riding....!!!!!
post #10 of 191 Old 12-03-2019, 02:24 PM

Garage
Quote:

Connexion

Cannot Log In/ Register if are from USA.

Feel like Trump with the Whistleblower!!

Maybe if I click my heals together three times I will get some data???

Best,

Doc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page