I humored myself, built a new K16GT - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 8Likes
  • 4 Post By Jonnybow
  • 1 Post By Mole999
  • 1 Post By rikracer99
  • 1 Post By Darbinco
  • 1 Post By Volfy
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 12-05-2019, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Jonnybow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Felton Delaware
Posts: 1,715
Garage
I humored myself, built a new K16GT

I was bored and went on every manufacturer's website to see if anything looked interesting (I have no interest in buying a new bike). I said to myself, self, lets build a new K16GT for giggles. Yea, all I figured out was that I'll never be able to afford a new bike ever again! Built it like the one I have except, added the 719 option.....$34k

I also found out that Kawasaki has a ridiculously priced sport bike and hyper sport bike, the H2 which has a few models, all of which are over $29k, the racing model H2R is $55K.

Winter sucks
Jonnybow is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 12-05-2019, 03:40 PM
Senior Member
 
Mole999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 2,644
Garage
you mean on the motrrad options builder ?


we did that with a Honda CB750 years back from the parts catalogue and it was about triple the buy a whole one option
Jonnybow likes this.
Mole999 is online now  
post #3 of 9 Old 12-05-2019, 05:17 PM
Senior Member
 
rikracer99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Weatherford Texas
Posts: 439
Garage
So, you financing that Jonny, or payin' cash?!
Rick
Jonnybow likes this.
rikracer99 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 9 Old 12-05-2019, 07:00 PM
Senior Member
 
Darbinco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Western Colorado
Posts: 4,920
Garage
Last year BMW of Denver had an HP Race on the floor, it was listed at $78,000
Jonnybow likes this.

Freedom is the miles I'm rollin' on!

2014 GTL
2016 S1000 XR
Darbinco is online now  
post #5 of 9 Old 12-05-2019, 07:19 PM
Senior Member
 
J-Luv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: KCMO
Posts: 1,368
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darbinco View Post
Last year BMW of Denver had an HP Race on the floor, it was listed at $78,000
Saw one in a Vegas showroom. Same.

James

18 K16GT Option 719 Blue Planet Metallic with matching BMW top-box, Bomber Brown RDL, Denali D7s, Ilium f&r bars with highway pegs
IBA # 63673
14 FJR-ES Candy Red (sold)
83 CB1100F Blue White & Red (in a garage);
83 CB1100F Red White & Black (in a shed);
76 CR125 Elsinore Red (sold);
73? CB125S Torquoise (sold)
J-Luv is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 12-05-2019, 08:00 PM
Senior Member
 
Volfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnybow View Post
I also found out that Kawasaki has a ridiculously priced sport bike and hyper sport bike, the H2 which has a few models, all of which are over $29k, the racing model H2R is $55K.
The only H2 I'm interested in is the SX sport tourer. CycleTrader shows a whole gaggle of the up-trim SE listed for around $16k, many with barely 1k miles on the clock. That usually means they will likely deal at $15k or lower. Personally, I don't much care to take the steep depreciation on the first 1k miles. Besides, right now the insurance rate on the H2 SX is still horrendously high, Seems ins co's don't see a difference between it and the regular H2's. That used to be the case with the Ninja 1000 too, but premium on the N1k has come down to more in line with a sporty tourer that it is usually bought and ridden as. I'm betting in a few years that'll be the case with the H2 SX as well. Plus then, a 3-4yr old SX would likely drop below $10k.

Just gotta be patient.
Volfy is online now  
post #7 of 9 Old 12-05-2019, 08:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Geoff_3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
Posts: 453
Send a message via AIM to Geoff_3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnybow View Post
I was bored and went on every manufacturer's website to see if anything looked interesting (I have no interest in buying a new bike). I said to myself, self, lets build a new K16GT for giggles. Yea, all I figured out was that I'll never be able to afford a new bike ever again! Built it like the one I have except, added the 719 option.....$34k

I also found out that Kawasaki has a ridiculously priced sport bike and hyper sport bike, the H2 which has a few models, all of which are over $29k, the racing model H2R is $55K.

Winter sucks
If you used the Motorrad web site to build your bike. I can tell you the final ride away price was way over the top. You can but the same bike here in Australia from your local dealership $6,000.00 off the recommended ride away price on the BMW Motorrad site. My bike which BMW won't release till the recall for the gearbox is done 2019 GTL with reverse for example from my dealership is $38,990.00 AUD ride away from the same bike on the BMW page as a ride away price is $43,131.00 AUD. In saying this, they have a special with $3,000.00 off the price at the dealerships that still makes the BMW Price $40,131.00 AUD so by going to the dealerships you will get a bike cheaper than using the BMW Web Page. I also was lucky enough to get a better deal than the dealers to ride away price as I have bought a few bikes over the years. So I did not pay anywhere near the special price at the dealership. I guess what I am saying here is always shop around, I do that for insurance each year as well and amazing what you can save ever buying a policy from the same insurer just by doing some homework and then going back to your insurance company and quoting some other prices from other insurers. They like everyone these days want as much business they can get and will do what they can to keep you as a customer or gain a new customer.
Geoff_3 is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 12-05-2019, 08:54 PM
Senior Member
 
Darbinco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Western Colorado
Posts: 4,920
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfy View Post
The only H2 I'm interested in is the SX sport tourer. CycleTrader shows a whole gaggle of the up-trim SE listed for around $16k, many with barely 1k miles on the clock. That usually means they will likely deal at $15k or lower. Personally, I don't much care to take the steep depreciation on the first 1k miles. Besides, right now the insurance rate on the H2 SX is still horrendously high, Seems ins co's don't see a difference between it and the regular H2's. That used to be the case with the Ninja 1000 too, but premium on the N1k has come down to more in line with a sporty tourer that it is usually bought and ridden as. I'm betting in a few years that'll be the case with the H2 SX as well. Plus then, a 3-4yr old SX would likely drop below $10k.

Just gotta be patient.
My insurance company see's no difference between the 1000RR, R or my XR. So I have to pay full sportbike premium on my XR.

Freedom is the miles I'm rollin' on!

2014 GTL
2016 S1000 XR
Darbinco is online now  
post #9 of 9 Old 12-05-2019, 09:14 PM
Senior Member
 
Volfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darbinco View Post
My insurance company see's no difference between the 1000RR, R or my XR. So I have to pay full sportbike premium on my XR.
I've gotten different stories from different insurance folks I spoke with. Some say it has a lot to do with the actual mfr model designation. So the following are all lumped into the same rate bucket:

ZX1000S ZX10R
ZX1000W Ninja 1000
ZX1000X H2

That might be why all the BMW S1000's all rated the same.

Other folks claim that they go off of accrued claim data, which is probably true generally, but the Ninja 1000 stayed high many yrs after 2011 introductions and didn't drop until around 2018. I know, cus I checked with Progressive every once in a while. Word is that Kawi went to the ins co's to complain about it, and then the rates dropped.

Then there are those who say some of it depends on the average demographic of the purchasers, which supposedly helps explain why 600cc supersports and some lower displacement motards are high.

I think it's a combo of all these factors, with a good bit of "we'll charge whatever the buyers are willing to pay" mixed in.
Darbinco likes this.
Volfy is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome