Conti Road Attack 3 tyre could be the answer - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 12-05-2019, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thumbs up Conti Road Attack 3 tyre could be the answer

https://www.continental-tires.com/mo...iroadattack3cr

I have only owned my 1600 GTL for over 18 months and travel a lot of kilometres on outback Australian sealed roads
When I was recently on a ride through New South Wales I needed to get the bike serviced and my front tyre was replaced with a Continental Road Attack 3 tyre.
The Dunlop Road Smart 3 that I was replacing had been ok but to be honest it didnít get the mileage I expected and it was prone to making a lot of road noise
The Conti front tyre eliminated the road noise. After returning to Western Australia I replaced the rear Dunlop with the Conti which has a profile that absolutely suits my riding style
The handling characteristics of the bike have transformed the way I now ride. Cornering is now exhilarating and very responsive to a stage you forget you are riding a touring bike
Having ridden around 7000km on the Conti tyres my thoughts are if you are looking for a tyre that makes a difference this could be what you are looking for
I love what they have done for my riding experience and tyre wear to date is minimal
Geoff_3 and Wunhotttuna like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 12-05-2019, 11:54 PM

Hi Ausie, I'm also an Ausie, living in NSW with a GTL, I get heaps of front end road noise on our back roads with the Angels fitted, the second I hit the smooth blacktop the noise disappears. Has the Conti eliminated the noise for you or just reduced it?
Geoff_3 likes this.
post #3 of 18 Old 12-06-2019, 03:50 AM

If Conti Road Attacks is the answer, what is the question? I donít know what the question is; but one question that I know is not the question is: What tires on a K1600 provide more mileage and are quieter on paved roads than Dunlop RSIIIs?
Aussie, I canít imagine what riding style would give someone on a K1600 better, quieter mileage on Conti RA3s than on Dunlop RS IIIs. Perhaps, things are different in Australia with you guys riding on upside down roads while dodging strange animals like wombats, wallabys and platypuses (or is it platypis), and all.
Gunnert, capav8r and Geoff_3 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 12-06-2019, 04:27 AM

I am not going into which tire debate, but asking a tire to eliminate the noise? It is a motorcycle, some noise is part of riding IMHO.
Gunnert, Geoff_3 and joe schmoe like this.
post #5 of 18 Old 12-06-2019, 05:11 AM

Only problem is they don't make a "GT" version like they used to with the Road Attack 2? When I was at a bike show recently they said they no longer make a tyre they recommend for the K16GT?
Geoff_3 likes this.
post #6 of 18 Old 12-06-2019, 07:50 AM

A Conti tire positively transforming the handling of a K1600, e.g. "The handling characteristics of the bike have transformed the way I now ride. Cornering is now exhilarating and very responsive to a stage you forget you are riding a touring bike." I'll throw the flag and call BS.

Duane
GTLen and Geoff_3 like this.

Duane: '12 K1600GT/'16 motorWL EngineBars/Wilbers/VarioLevers /BajaDesigns LED /Remus Headers/GPR Exhaust/BST Carbon Fiber Wheels
post #7 of 18 Old 12-06-2019, 09:29 AM

One thing I have noticed when someone reports a better "something", especially a tire. You have assured yourself of snarky attacks. I don't know if Continental tires are the answer. But I clicked on the link and I do like the tread pattern. Ride safe, Morgan
Tinman, rikracer99 and Geoff_3 like this.
post #8 of 18 Old 12-06-2019, 10:36 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie View Post
https://www.continental-tires.com/mo...iroadattack3cr

I have only owned my 1600 GTL for over 18 months and travel a lot of kilometres on outback Australian sealed roads
When I was recently on a ride through New South Wales I needed to get the bike serviced and my front tyre was replaced with a Continental Road Attack 3 tyre.
The Dunlop Road Smart 3 that I was replacing had been ok but to be honest it didnít get the mileage I expected and it was prone to making a lot of road noise
The Conti front tyre eliminated the road noise. After returning to Western Australia I replaced the rear Dunlop with the Conti which has a profile that absolutely suits my riding style
The handling characteristics of the bike have transformed the way I now ride. Cornering is now exhilarating and very responsive to a stage you forget you are riding a touring bike
Having ridden around 7000km on the Conti tyres my thoughts are if you are looking for a tyre that makes a difference this could be what you are looking for
I love what they have done for my riding experience and tyre wear to date is minimal

Got to ask, Conti site doesn't show a recommended fitments for the K1600, so what did they show horn onto your rims
Geoff_3 likes this.
post #9 of 18 Old 12-06-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
One thing I have noticed when someone reports a better "something", especially a tire. You have assured yourself of snarky attacks. I don't know if Continental tires are the answer. But I clicked on the link and I do like the tread pattern. Ride safe, Morgan
My comment is NOT snarky. The OP observations are completely subjective based on his perception. I have about 35,000 miles on Dunlop RSIII. And another 50,000 miles on Metzlers, Pirellis, and Michelins. I've changed over 150 sets on tires on K1600 bikes. No my comment is not snarky, it's just calling out BS...

Duane
Geoff_3 likes this.

Duane: '12 K1600GT/'16 motorWL EngineBars/Wilbers/VarioLevers /BajaDesigns LED /Remus Headers/GPR Exhaust/BST Carbon Fiber Wheels
post #10 of 18 Old 12-06-2019, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnert View Post
My comment is NOT snarky. The OP observations are completely subjective based on his perception. I have about 35,000 miles on Dunlop RSIII. And another 50,000 miles on Metzlers, Pirellis, and Michelins. I've changed over 150 sets on tires on K1600 bikes. No my comment is not snarky, it's just calling out BS...

Duane
I tip my hat to you...if I read this correctly you have 85000 miles on your tires...assuming you get 5000 miles per change, that is 17 sets of tires for yourself meaning you have changed at least 133 sets of tires for other people. I find that quite amazing and say WOW (if I remember correctly from previous threads, a good cigar is all you ask) great job and cant wait to hear when you have done over 200 sets
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page