Front Wheel Bearings. - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 12-06-2019, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Question Front Wheel Bearings.

Hi all, I'm looking for a bit of advise. I'm going to be replacing the tires on my 14' GTL/E with 24K miles. The front end is solid and not doing anything or making any unusual noises. While the tire is off do you think any maintenance to the front wheel bearings or replacement is worth performing?

Entropy isn't what it used to be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 12-06-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarkusNY View Post
Hi all, I'm looking for a bit of advise. I'm going to be replacing the tires on my 14' GTL/E with 24K miles. The front end is solid and not doing anything or making any unusual noises. While the tire is off do you think any maintenance to the front wheel bearings or replacement is worth performing?

I think I would entertain the idea and plan on replacing them. I replaced mine with about 30,000 miles on the bike just because. Then I was on a trip in Oregon last year and the front wheel bearings failed with about 60,000 miles on it. Cost me about $300 bucks to have the Beemer shop replace them. They didn't have them in stock, so they overnighted them from California and did the install the next day. What a pain.....

I would recommend just replace before they fail unexpected like what happened to me.
DanDiver likes this.
post #3 of 32 Old 12-06-2019, 12:50 PM

Garage
Can't really guess them, i just have spares in the garage, though for the cost, they could be worth doing every other change or so. Ebay carry many. just make sure you get new seals at the same time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 Old 12-06-2019, 01:00 PM

Every time I pull my front wheel off I inspect the bearings. Put your fingers in and turn the bearings, they should be smooth and a bit hard to turn. If they are easy to turn and/or ruff feeling they are done. Bearings could last 20k or 80k. I say don't replace them unless they need it.
GTLen likes this.

Rick
2012 K1600GT (smashed)
2015 K1600GT (went over a cliff)
2018 R1200GS
post #5 of 32 Old 12-06-2019, 01:09 PM

They are pretty cheap and relatively easy to replace. I would do it. Here are the ones I bought.

Matt
earthling likes this.

2013 GTL, Dark Graphite Metallic. 5/31/13 Build Date.

K16Synthetics.com
Follow me on Facebook
Follow me on Instagram
post #6 of 32 Old 12-06-2019, 01:14 PM

I believe they are sealed bearings so not really any maintenance you could do. Replacement at 24k miles is a bit early, but that's up to you.
post #7 of 32 Old 12-06-2019, 01:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick92040 View Post
Every time I pull my front wheel off I inspect the bearings. Put your fingers in and turn the bearings, they should be smooth and a bit hard to turn. If they are easy to turn and/or ruff feeling they are done. Bearings could last 20k or 80k. I say don't replace them unless they need it.

^^^^^ This.

Check them every tire change, change them as soon as you detect any loss of smoothness. If you just change them for no reason, you are just pulling more material off the wheels unnecessarily.
GTLen likes this.
post #8 of 32 Old 12-06-2019, 06:09 PM

No, I’d change the bearings at 35k miles. Interval based on never hearing about a bearing failure < 40k miles.

Duane
capav8r, Prince and BMWGuy like this.

Duane: '12 K1600GT/'16 motorWL EngineBars/Wilbers/VarioLevers /BajaDesigns LED /Remus Headers/GPR Exhaust/BST Carbon Fiber Wheels
post #9 of 32 Old 12-06-2019, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnert View Post
No, Id change the bearings at 35k miles. Interval based on never hearing about a bearing failure < 40k miles.

Duane
Mine went out, I think around 30,000. I've been riding for about 50 years, and it's the first time I've had to replace them.

2012 Grey K1600GTL
Tampa, Florida
post #10 of 32 Old 12-06-2019, 07:49 PM

Garage
I replaced mine on my Goldwing at 140,000 miles. I figured it was time. Funny thing, is that it is over in Europe. I have been riding it there, for the last two years. There are no REAL Goldwing shops in Europe!!! Well, ok, there are but not like here in the states. I found someone in Milan, Italy, who was not a dealer but ran a Goldwing specialty shop. He took a bike of the rack, to get me in. Changed the bearings ($50/each and there are four), and got me out in about a half hour. When I asked how much, he said nothing. I ended up giving the mechanic a tip of 10 euros. So, good things can happen if you wait to long to change your bearings.
TarkusNY and Prince like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page