Any body ride there bikes in 34F weather? - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 72 Old 12-13-2019, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Send a message via AIM to wizard1325
Any body ride there bikes in 34F weather?

I just ordered some heated pants to go with my jacket and im dying to ride in the cold. Is this common? I mean should i be worried about black ice or something? It's not snowing yet but wondering if you guys are out there riding as well during this cold season. Thanks, a bunch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 Old 12-13-2019, 01:46 PM

If the streets are dry go for it

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
DanDiver likes this.
post #3 of 72 Old 12-13-2019, 01:59 PM

Garage
Any body ride there bikes in 34F weather?

Yep, do it all the time. Thats what heated gear is for..

By the way a K1600 makes a lousy snowmobile.

Best,

Doc
Gunnert, GTLen, rsmith and 2 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 72 Old 12-13-2019, 02:04 PM

Garage
when its minus 5 C which is not often, i'll ride to and from work, body warmer, grips and seat on
post #5 of 72 Old 12-13-2019, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Just got me some
Gerbing 12V EX Pro Heated Pants measurements say 30-36 waist and i am a 34. And its super snugg =(

cant return them cause i got them at clearance for 169 and they dont have it in large =( what do i do now?
post #6 of 72 Old 12-13-2019, 02:20 PM

Yes, I commute approx. 50 miles each way every day that there is not ice on the tiding surface of the roads that I travel. My record is -4F on an r1200r (no fairings and short windscreen.) Lately, my commute ride is a 1250GS. I do not break out the heated pants until the temps are in the teens.
Yo stay warm and comfy, all you need are:
1. Heated gloves (I have Gerbings G4ís)
2. Heated jacket liner (I have a Getbings 12v plugged direct to the bike and a Warm and Safe remote on my bars. I also have a Venture liner, but it is not compatible with other brandsí heated gear and I do not like Ventureís gloves)
3. A thin down jacket (I have an LLBean 850 fill) worn over the heated liner and under your regular riding gear when temps drop into the 30s (Aerostitch one piece works for me. Itís waterproof, so no prob if I wind up in rain.)
Gerbings has heated pants liners. I wear them over whatever pants I am wearing when needed.
post #7 of 72 Old 12-13-2019, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLen View Post
Yes, I commute approx. 50 miles each way every day that there is not ice on the tiding surface of the roads that I travel. My record is -4F on an r1200r (no fairings and short windscreen.) Lately, my commute ride is a 1250GS. I do not break out the heated pants until the temps are in the teens.
Yo stay warm and comfy, all you need are:
1. Heated gloves (I have Gerbings G4ís)
2. Heated jacket liner (I have a Getbings 12v plugged direct to the bike and a Warm and Safe remote on my bars. I also have a Venture liner, but it is not compatible with other brandsí heated gear and I do not like Ventureís gloves)
3. A thin down jacket (I have an LLBean 850 fill) worn over the heated liner and under your regular riding gear when temps drop into the 30s (Aerostitch one piece works for me. Itís waterproof, so no prob if I wind up in rain.)
Gerbings has heated pants liners. I wear them over whatever pants I am wearing when needed.

Yea i was looking for the weater proof armor options interchangable.

rather then just heat liners

i have the jacket liner i wear under my jacket
post #8 of 72 Old 12-13-2019, 02:52 PM

The heated weatherproof outer jacket and pants options will not work sufficiently in colder weather. The heating elements need to be close to your body with as little in between them and your skin as possible. The heated outer jackets and pants won’t do well with layers underneath and are not themselves warm enough in the 30s F. Best options are is a tight fitting jacket liner and on colder days a light down jacket over it and under your outer jacket and, on really cold days, heated pants liner over your street pants and under your outer armored pants. The down jacket blocks wind, keeps the heat inside it and you and presses the heated liner against you. Outer jackets can’t do this.
pkpr1998 likes this.

Last edited by GTLen; 12-13-2019 at 02:57 PM.
post #9 of 72 Old 12-13-2019, 02:53 PM

Yes Iíll ride as long as the roads are in good shape. I have heated jacket,gloves and heated socks. Never felt the need for heated pants though.
GTLen likes this.
post #10 of 72 Old 12-13-2019, 03:13 PM

Garage
Not sure where you are but in UT, I just use a heated vest I have rode in 30 degrees or less but ice is a concern, and usually make sure that I'm well insured, my legs don't really get cold it's the upper part of the body

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page