BMW K1600 Forum banner

Before you buy a K1600, you might consider this.

14K views 52 replies 18 participants last post by  dixonk 
#1 ·
Like most everything in life, no one motorcycle excels at everything. While the BMW GS is often considered the Jack of All Trades, it offers compromises for most uses. The K1600 is no exception either. For the uses BMW targeted this motorcycle I think it is exceptional. For many other uses I think it is quite good, hiding the size and weight well. For some uses, I think there are far better BMWs, let alone other manufacturer models, which would be better suited.

For example: Let's take urban commuting. This is a place where the new BMW C600 and C650GT excel. Slow speed maneuvering in traffic, a snap to park, frugal gas consumption, built-in storage, etc...

An new Ride Magazine gives these scooters top marks for urban commuting. BMW includes the safety features and styling we see in their new designs too.

For a motorcycle that is a comfortable long distance mile muncher, a good sport bike on the fast sweepers and a hooligan bike on the severe twisty roads, I think the K1600 is excellent.

Will the K1600 work on the odd gravel road sections? Sure. Will the K1600 commute? Stop and go traffic on freeways? Yea. Stoplight after stoplight on crowded urban roads? Sure. Will the K1600 split lanes well? Oh yea. Will the K1600 pull a trailer? Probably. Would the K1600 be a good choice for riding in a parade of cruisers? Oh heavens. But I wouldn't say that the K1600 is "happy" with these tasks.

See less See more
#2 ·
I've been on my share of gravel/dirt roads with the K1600GT. While the bike did just fine, it is hard on the rims. The very low profile tires do little to protect the rim edges, as evidenced by a small chip I have in the rear rim.

What it can do, and what it does very well, are two different things.

The K1600 just isn't the Swiss Army Knife of motorcycling, like the GS is.

#3 ·
RL step away from the edge. that scooter may look nice and all, but it its a scooter man. get ahold of yourself here:eek: listen take this advice, go out to the garage spark off the GT, listen to it purr, and think back on the last trip.

there now don't you feel better... i cant have this scooter talk going on in these parts, for gods sake what if there are wingers and HD riders lurking about:lol2:

pete

#4 ·
This is an interesting discussion.

I am in the market for a new bike, looking to trade in my 2004 R1200c Montauk towards something that's a little bit friendlier for all day rides and overnight trips. I am not tied to any particular manufacturer as much as I am looking for the right bike.

A major consideration is the relative versatility of the machine. I have mostly ruled out behemoths like the Road Glide Ultra, Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Victory Vision and Victory Cross Country Tour. I find myself left with the K1600 GTL, the R1200RT, and the Street Glide. Offerings from Kawasaki and Honda do not excite me much.

Something with a fairing, a decent amount of storage in the side bags and either a top box or a good spot for a rack are things I want. Fun to ride around on the back roads. Reasonably good for commuting in a variety of conditions. And yes, I will be riding on occasion in a pack of cruisers.

It's tough to satisfy all of these conditions with one bike, but when you can only have one you have to make due with a compromise somewhere. I figure that commuting needs to be functional, as I am using the bike there to save on gas over my truck. Running errands is another funtion I might do on the bike, but not it's main purpose. Riding in a pack is not my main goal, and those packs rarely get to be more than 4-8 bikes. I ride most often solo or in groups of 2-4.

What I want to have fun doing is joy riding around on my off times, solo or in small groups, and wherever the wind (and pavement) takes us.

The K1600GTL seems to fit me better than the R1200RT at my 5'8" height. I have wondered if the R1200RT might be a bit more versatile than the K1600GTL, but I am not really intimidated by the size of the K. Seems like the R would be lighter, more maneuverable, and more tame to ride in a group or at low speeds. Seems like the K would be better on longer trips, with more storage, more accessible air flow options, more power, etc.

It's tough to know what the 'best' bike is, so I just hope to pick one that is fun to ride and all around adequate.

#8 ·
It's tough to know what the 'best' bike is, so I just hope to pick one that is fun to ride and all around adequate.
The RT wins the Ride Magazine annual owner poll year after year for a reason.

http://bmwmcmag.com/2012/03/r1200rt-tops-in-ride-magazines-2012-reader-survey/

However, for really comfortable bike with an engine that gets your heart pumping, the new K16 is just the ticket. On a scale of 1 to 10, the RT seems to me to be a solid 8, the GTL a good 9 and the GT a resounding 10 on the sport touring scale. On the grand touring scale the RT and GTL are probably a bit ahead of the GT.

Do you ride like this:

Or, do you ride like this:

There was a summary of the world motorcycle magazine editors selection of the K1600GT as motorcycle of the year. That summary may better describe what I'm trying to say.

BMW K1600GT Named International Bike of the Year 2011 | Motorcycle.com News

The BMW K1600GT has been voted International Bike of the Year 2011 by a panel of motorcycle magazine journalists representing 25 publications from around the world.

The six-cylinder BMW K1600GT received a score of 41 points from the jury to top all contenders. Second place went to the Ducati Diavel at 32 points. The Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC came in third at 22 points followed by the BMW K1600GTL at 18 points. Tying for fifth place with 16 points each was the Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R and the BMW S1000RR. That gives BMW three models in the top five in the International Bike of the Year selections for 2011.

Motorcycle.com didn’t get a vote, but the results echoed our own selections in our Best of 2011 awards. We also selected the BMW K1600GT (together with the GTL version) as Motorcycle of the Year with the Ducati Diavel named as an honorable mention.

The motorcycle publications that formed the panel were: Australian Motorcycle News (Australia), Auto By (Japan), Autocar India (India), Bike (Scandinavia), Bike (UK), Cycle World (USA), Der Reitwagen (Austria), Inmoto (Italy), KicXstart (Netherlands), Kiwi Rider (New Zealand), La Moto (Spain), Maximoto (France), Moto Kultur Asia (Malaysia and Singapore), Moto (Greece), Moto Journal (Canada), Moto & Loisirs (Belgium), Moto Mag (Israel), Motoraj (Czech Republic), Motoron (Turkey), MotoSi (Slovenia), MotorWereld (Belgium), PS Magazin (Germany), Revista Moto (Mexico), SuperBike (South Africa), Swiat Motocykli (Poland).

#7 ·
For commuting in stop and go traffic as a priority, you can't beat a scooter. I had a Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive that did virtually anthing you want in many arenas. I traded it in for a K1600 because I was finding the need for LONG TRIPS more. However, for the occaisional long trip with the majority of around-town-shopping-hauling groceries- stopNgo traffic you couldn't beat the Burgman 650.

#9 ·
Welcome, Nick.

You really just need to ride the bikes for yourself, and then decide.

Coming from an R1200C, you know that Boxer character, so the RT would be familiar. It also has a shorter wheel base which helps handling.

The K16 has more inline-smooth character, and a lot more horsepower and torque. It is heavier, but balanced very well so that usually isn't an issue, even at slow speeds. And at higher speeds, it works very well.

The HD would have good torque, but less top end, and much less ground clearance. And the riding position is comfortable for some, but not for others.

So it really depends what fits you best. And the only way to know that is to ride them all and decide for yourself. :)

#10 ·
Welcome, Nick.

So it really depends what fits you best. And the only way to know that is to ride them all and decide for yourself. :)

Thanks for the Welcome :)

Riding both is the plan. I am thankful that we have Wagners Motorsports around here, because after speaking with them over the weekend I understand that I'll have access to the bikes to test ride them for an extended period and have a chance to put them through the paces.

A test ride is not a crystal ball for divining performance in all use conditions, but hopefully I will be able to get enough information about the characteristics of each machine to put them into relevant context. I am still a few months away from making the leap, but this thread certainly gives some food for thought!

#12 ·
Nick - FWIW - During the three weeks my GTL was down for service I had the use of a new RT for one of the weeks. By the end of the week I was thinking I could really get used to this bike. Light & Nimble were the characteristics I appreciated the most, however; the longest single ride was only about 300 miles 1-up. Then I picked up my GTL last Friday. What was I thinking! As much as I enjoyed the RT – the K1600 is class by itself. Handling was comparable to the RT but it ended there. Both are great bikes and I could be content with either but riding the K1600 is almost a magical experience. Some dealers will let you demo their bikes over the weekend (pick up late Saturday and turn back first thing Tuesday. Ride both a few hundred miles and then decide.

#13 ·
The R engine and the K16 engine.

I enjoyed the heck out of the R1200GSA I had. The engine seemed to have plenty of spunk and power until I was at highway speed. At higher speeds it was fine, but not enthusiastic. The RT is heavier than the GSA, though more aerodynamic. On mountain switchback climbs I had to drop into 1st gear and keep the revs up to maintain a fun pace. A lot of shifting to keep in the happy part of the power band. Passing cars on highways takes more planning and downshifting. As the speed increases there really is a diminished level of performance level.

The K16 engine makes loads of bottom end torque. Look at any horsepower chart and you will see that the straight six cylinder gives maximum torque right off idle. This version of the 6 may not be designed to rev, but it still provides a lot of happiness up to red line. On mountain switchback climbs I can flow uphill with smooth torque. 2nd gear just works like a champ. So effortless. Passing cars anywhere is a simple matter of dropping the bike a gear or two. Regardless of low speed or high speed the bike slips into afterburner mode and launches me around anyone. Did I mention the sound? Oh, so musical.

One of life's pleasures is rocketing around parades of noisy cruisers. All that racket and yet still sleds. I always seem to drop two gears for this delight. :cool: :k16: Both the R1200 and the K1600 accomplish this act easily. Probably a bicycle would too. Anyway, the K1600 performs this flying pass with such ease and flair. :D Oh the joy it brings me.

#15 ·
I like all 2 wheelers, bicycles, scooters and big uns. I have had more than my fair share. All in all, the bike I loved the most was a humble, no extras yellow R1150GS. Still, the K is about the best bike I have ever owned, despite the agricultural driveline that gives tractors and combine harvesters a bad name. And then there was a ST1100. It was the most dependable and rugged (after a honda C90).The ST just kept going and going and going. After 150kmiles in 5 years and stretched servicing intervals double, or more, the Honda recommended, it never went wrong or needed mending (good job since I was broke).

#19 ·
I have a K16GT and a 30th anniversary R12GS and switch back and forth constantly. Each one IMHO makes the other a better and more fun ride.

As far as the new upcomming BMW Scooters, can not wait to try them out.

#20 ·
I agree that the R1200GS, R1200GSA, and the upcoming R1250 water cooled versions, are the true Swiss Army knives of motorcycling. If I still lived out west, it would be the wanderlust weapon of choice to go nearly anywhere.

Still, the king of comfortable cross country riding and spirited backroad twisty riding is the K1600GT.

A proper garage out west would have a variety of motorcycles.

#21 ·
A proper garage out west would have a variety of motorcycles.
Like (for example) one I am thinking of. . . . . . .say in Show Low Arizona, up on a mountain top. . . . . . . . . . . .?

#23 ·
Posted earlier:
A major consideration is the relative versatility of the machine. I have mostly ruled out behemoths like the Road Glide Ultra, Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Victory Vision and Victory Cross Country Tour. I find myself left with the K1600 GTL, the R1200RT, and the Street Glide. Offerings from Kawasaki and Honda do not excite me much.

My humble opinion.

I own a 2007 R1200RT that I have put about 75000 miles on, have about 125,000 miles on big HD's (Road Glide and Ultras) and about 7500 on my GTL, so have a little experience on these bikes you mentioned. If you want the HD for long travel don't buy the Street Glide. It is too low has less suspension height and will drag floorboards way before the Ultras and the Road Glide (the best bike HD makes, especially the new Ultra Road Glide.)
However, if you ride all three you will drop the HD pretty quickly in my opinion. All of those HD's are built on the same frame. As noted earlier the RT is more nimble lighter and more fun in hard cornering situations, but the power and torque of the 1600 trumps that quickly on the acceleration out of the corner. Even though the RT is lighter, the COG of the 1600 is way lower and the seat is lower so there isn't that much difference. Some of have said the lighter RT is better at low speed, I beg to differ. The incredible low rpm torque of the 1600 combined with the wet clutch make the 1600 just as manageable if not more so than the RT. I have been in Arizona for the past week and went to the Road Runner Rally last weekend and rode the RT two up on twisties after having ridden the 1600 more recently. The sheer power of the 1600 makes up for a lot gained by the RT at it's lower weight. Got to crank that 110 HP a lot more than the 160 on the 1600. Like they said, ride them one will speak to you.

#26 ·
I own a 2007 R1200RT that I have put about 75000 miles on, have about 125,000 miles on big HD's (Road Glide and Ultras) and about 7500 on my GTL, so have a little experience on these bikes you mentioned. If you want the HD for long travel don't buy the Street Glide. It is too low has less suspension height and will drag floorboards way before the Ultras and the Road Glide (the best bike HD makes, especially the new Ultra Road Glide.)
However, if you ride all three you will drop the HD pretty quickly in my opinion. All of those HD's are built on the same frame. As noted earlier the RT is more nimble lighter and more fun in hard cornering situations, but the power and torque of the 1600 trumps that quickly on the acceleration out of the corner. Even though the RT is lighter, the COG of the 1600 is way lower and the seat is lower so there isn't that much difference. Some of have said the lighter RT is better at low speed, I beg to differ. The incredible low rpm torque of the 1600 combined with the wet clutch make the 1600 just as manageable if not more so than the RT. I have been in Arizona for the past week and went to the Road Runner Rally last weekend and rode the RT two up on twisties after having ridden the 1600 more recently. The sheer power of the 1600 makes up for a lot gained by the RT at it's lower weight. Got to crank that 110 HP a lot more than the 160 on the 1600. Like they said, ride them one will speak to you.
Thanks for that.

The truth of the matter (at this point) is that the K1600GTL fits me physically better than the R1200RT (or any of the bikes save the Victory Cross Country Tour) anyways. I speak from my experience of getting on the bikes at dealerships and making VVVRRRROOOOMM! noises.

I am leaning in that direction before I test ride anything just one the riding position and comfort factor. I care more about that, storage capacity, lean angle, and features than I do about the engine wanting to go faster than I do. I am fairly confident that even with my mere 20,000 miles or so of riding experience that I can handle the machine and ride in a manner I am comfortable with.

I guess the next couple of months will tell the tale. The only thing holding me back right now is being between jobs, and I hope to have that cleared up in the next few weeks.

#28 ·
Do you ride like this:

Or, do you ride like this:

I have to say this statement is wrong on a whole new level. Having handlebars that are an inch forward does not make the GT into some kind of super sport bike in comparison to the GTL. They are both capable of doing the exact same thing. Except the GTL can carry a passenger a lot more comfortably. Come take a look at my foot pegs and then try and make it sound like a laz-y-boy on wheels.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

#30 ·
It is interesting how motorcycle magazine reviewer after reviewer, as well as fourm members, have commented at how the subtle changes between the GT & GTL can make such a profound difference between the two motorcycles.

Differences are good because that greatly broadens the appeal of the K1600. My use of the two BMW promotional photos merely relays how BMW intended the comparison.

How about this photo:

And this:

From Kevin Ash: "But it’s the differences between GTL and GT which many will be wondering about, and here my rides were only a day apart. The GT undoubtedly is the sharper handling, but it also has a better ride quality, and some passengers will prefer it for the better access to the grab handles. Those with larger bottoms will go for the GTL’s though and make do with the rider’s grab handles instead. High speed stability is superior on the GT but the wind protection not as comprehensive as the GTL’s, and the riding positions are quite different, the GTL being lower set and more upright."

"The suspension definitely is different though, being significantly softer on the K1600GTL, but it isn’t any more comfortable for that as it feels underdamped and crashes over bigger bumps and potholes, to the point where the rider can be jarred through the seat. I spent a lot of time switching between the ESA mode settings, not just to try them out but because I could never find something I was entirely happy with, swopping between the harshness of Sport and the jarring of Normal. Comfort was just too soft"

"It was an irritation more than real nuisance after I’d got used to it, and riders coming from Harleys or Gold Wings will wonder what I’m complaining about as the GTL is better than either. But the GT is superior again and in Normal offers a convincing and comfortable ride, where the GTL often jiggles or bumps."

"The GTL’s stability is less impressive too, although you do need to be pushing things to discover this. At 100mph (160kph) it can start to feel a little vague, and by 120mph (190kph) it can become unnerving. I didn’t get a chance to max it out, but one rider who did said it was getting borderline scary when a corner entered the fray. I shouldn’t worry about this too much though, at anything below 100mph the stability is fine, and higher speeds are mostly done on long straight roads anyway where there are no problems either."

"Maintaining a rapid pace is delightfully easy as the huge screen fends off the windblast with accomplished ease, so you sit upright commanding your cruise ship with its array of information displayed in LCD monochrome and TFT display, serene as the world rushes backwards around you. Personally I prefer the GT’s more forward leaning position, but I can imagine some riders will prefer the GTL’s sofa-like stance when there are really serious miles to cover."

"American riders tend to prefer to look through a bike’s screen where Europeans and others like to peer over the top edge (we get rained on more...), and the K1600GTL caters for both with the extensive range of screen movement. Do note though that at higher speeds, when you raise the screen to its maximum to look through it, the force of the air pressure pushing you forwards is uncomfortably large."

#31 ·
I must have a better bike than the reviewers as I have zero instability at or above 100 mph. I also have no issue tackling any of northern California's twisty roads to include Hwy 36 which the bike took with absolute grace. I just want to get the point out there that the GTL is not the bike for "fat and lazy Americans" like people are leading it on to be. Stiffer suspension doesn't make a bike more sporty a properly tuned suspension for the environment does. I have yet to feel the suspension is inadequate on mine. Also raising pegs and moving bars forward will not instantly make a bike more agile. For example Suzuki pegs are higher on the gsxr than on the r1 yet on the track we all know which bike has been dominant. Hondas bars on the CBR are much more forward how are they fairing when it's race time...? I am not saying one bike is better than the other but I will defend the honor of the GTL when it is compared to Harley's and wings and made to be for the typical weekend warrior fat lazy guy with the stupid outfits an body odor stereotype.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

#32 ·
I didn't understand Kevin to say that the GTL is comparable to the freeway and parade motorcycles, just different because it is intended to be more comfortable for a passenger as evidenced by the included top case, bigger windscreen and softer rear suspension settings.

This is Kevin on a GTL:

#33 ·
I know RL I am referring to the magazine and online reviews. I am more worried someone in the market would buy a GT due to the reviewers lousy reviews of the GTL when they may be more suited for the GTL not the GT. I just want the record straight that both bikes are agile monsters one just has a few add ons for long distance comfort. And a rider needs to feel both bikes before making a decision based on the review of some magazine editor. I don't mean to rant I just absolutely loath the "American biker" image one of 2347 reasons I enjoy BMW motorcycles because I enjoy the image of being a motorcyclist not a lousy biker.

#35 ·
I enjoy BMW motorcycles because I enjoy the image of being a motorcyclist not a lousy biker.
I completely agree with you here. When the noisy parades of pirate attired cruisers pass by disturbing the public, I am saddened that they don't get how poorly they are perceived by the general public.

South Park got it right.

#34 ·
To ignore the intended differences between the GT and GTL is disingenuous. The differences are very real, as intended by BMW to be. It doesn't make either motorcycle unsuitable for any of the most fun roads. It does though, indicate a propensity for the GT to be... well, a GT, and the GTL to be offered at a higher a higher level of luxury & comfort, hence the "L".

Is the GT a sport bike? No. Is the GTL a Gold Wing? No.

On the sliding scale of sport to couch, these two BMWs are very close together.

I tend to think of the differences this way: I sit on the GT, and riders of the GTL sit in the bike.

#37 ·
The point of this thread was to indicate to potential purchasers that the K1600 isn't the perfect motorcycle for every intended use. The K1600 is VERY GOOD for the uses BMW intended it to be good at, fine for many more purposes, and probably not a good choice for many other uses.

Before a purchaser spends what most here consider to be a considerable sum of money for a K1600, be certain that it will be the best option for your intended use.

I may just be lucky because, as one of the early adopters with a pre-order K1600GT, this motorcycle is perfect for my desires/needs.

#38 ·
RL I am sorry to ruin your thread if I have. Been biting my lip for quite some time and might have reacted a bit coarse. I do agree there are differences in the two bikes but I wouldn't so far as to say they are night and day. I have sat on both. I like the bars on the GT but pegs on the GTL. The biggest selling point was the rear seat as my riding is 90% 2up so the bike makes sense. My wife has never enjoyed motorcycling as much as she does now she actually asks to go out riding and recommends the long way every time. The GT didn't do it for her. Much cheaper to put GT bars on a GTL rather than turning the GT to a GTL. Coming from riding/racing sport bikes I can honestly say I feel at home on the GTL so that says a lot for BMW to pack that much in such a package.

#40 ·
RL I am sorry to ruin your thread if I have.
Unlike some, well many, I enjoy honest debate. It is only through the exploration of one's ideas that growth in understanding can come.

Same thing with the often discredited notion of generalization. Unless one categorizes how can one see patterns, etc...?

I was seeing a pattern with comments here on the forum. Some have warranty issues, some very serious. Some have realized that this isn't the motorcycle for them and have sold their K1600. Some are annoyed with characteristics of the K1600 which makes it unsuited to their use. Most seem to be like me, happy as can be with their purchase.

I feel bad for those that spent so much money on a motorcycle which is a warranty problem. It is my desire to help others considering the K1600 to reflect on their needs before making the purchase, making certain that it is the right motorcycle for them.

Many forum members own a variety of motorcycles, others change motorcycles like I change clothes. Maybe this thread isn't so important for those members.

#39 ·
Back on topic the scooter looks like it would be a lot of fun and think it would be a great seller here. I do tend to wonder how it added up to 575 lbs though! Along with BMWs 3asy financing promotion and 4.50 gas these should be all presold already. I rode a tmax before and had a blast.

#41 ·
RL - thanks for that silver gtl photo. Love the lean angle on that. Thought I was "way over" at killboy's stand on the dragon only to realize I was maybe 1/2 of what you've got there 2 up. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.