Garmin Basecamp help thread - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 427 Old 05-11-2014, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Garmin Basecamp help thread

Administrator if this needs to be moved to a different forum please do.

I thought I would start a thread where folks can ask questions about using Garmin's Basecamp to make routes for their Nav IV and V.

I know I've spent a lot of time working with it making simple routes for my trips and have come across several stumbling blocks and I suppose there are those of you who are scratching your heads from time to time.

Anyway let's see if there is any interest sharing thoughts and experience on this subject.

Please don't chime in and say things like "I use..........instead of Basecamp" This is all well and good but for now please keep this thread just for Garmin's Basecamp.

2016 Glacier Silver/matte blue vinyl wrap GTL
1975 Daytona Orange R90S
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650
IBA#9293 BMWRA#41092 BMWMOA#185857
2004 Red Corvette
2005 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 427 Old 05-12-2014, 12:56 AM

I'm using Basecamp as well, and find it pretty good actually. Good thread, I was thinking about starting one myself.

One thing that irks me though, is when I'm creating a route by clicking on map points, I have to switch controls to the hand (move) so that I can move the map to see the rest of the area I'm trying to route. When creating routes, I have the map zoomed in so that I can accurately place my waypoints (ie - make sure I click the correct side of the road for example). Is there a way to move the map while in route creation mode? This would speed things up considerably for me.

Ron - Torrance, CA
post #3 of 427 Old 05-12-2014, 01:20 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler358 View Post
I'm using Basecamp as well, and find it pretty good actually. Good thread, I was thinking about starting one myself.

One thing that irks me though, is when I'm creating a route by clicking on map points, I have to switch controls to the hand (move) so that I can move the map to see the rest of the area I'm trying to route. When creating routes, I have the map zoomed in so that I can accurately place my waypoints (ie - make sure I click the correct side of the road for example). Is there a way to move the map while in route creation mode? This would speed things up considerably for me.
If your mouse has a scroll wheel you can scroll to zoom in our out and depending on where your cursor is the map will also move sideways or up and down as you scroll. Its a little tricky but after a little while you get the hang of moving the map all around while having the pencil cursor on the screen. If you don't have a scroll wheel on your mouse it would be a nice investment $20 for a wireless mouse most places.

2016 Glacier Silver/matte blue vinyl wrap GTL
1975 Daytona Orange R90S
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650
IBA#9293 BMWRA#41092 BMWMOA#185857
2004 Red Corvette
2005 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler

Last edited by Arizona Jim; 05-12-2014 at 01:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 427 Old 05-12-2014, 01:55 AM

Garage
keyboard arrows will move map around, and +- will zoom in and out

Primary: 2016 BMW K1600 GTL (blue matte)
Secondary: 2011 Yamaha Stryker (red)
Past bikes: 2012 BMW K1600 GTL (blue), 2002 Honda VTX 1800C (blue), 1997 Suzuki Intruder 800 (red)
post #5 of 427 Old 05-12-2014, 05:49 AM

Glad you've started this thread. I'm attempting to use Basecamp right now , planning a two week Europe trip leaving mid June this year. I've managed through trial and error to get basic routes in which is good but the thing I'm finding hardest is using the search boxes and finding exact GPS co-ordinates for a hotel etc as they are often not listed on websites.
Will watch this thread unravel and hopefully pick up some useful tips
post #6 of 427 Old 05-12-2014, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildones View Post
Glad you've started this thread. I'm attempting to use Basecamp right now , planning a two week Europe trip leaving mid June this year. I've managed through trial and error to get basic routes in which is good but the thing I'm finding hardest is using the search boxes and finding exact GPS co-ordinates for a hotel etc as they are often not listed on websites.
Will watch this thread unravel and hopefully pick up some useful tips

If I can't find an exact location in Basecamp, I go to Google Maps, find the location ( sometimes a hotel not listed in Basecamp or maybe a turnout on the side of the road as a meeting place), I'll then copy the gps coordinates from Google Maps and past them into Basecamp. It works perfectly, just takes a little practice to get the hang of it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
BMW 729, r60/5 and chesterdawg like this.
post #7 of 427 Old 05-12-2014, 10:04 AM

Related to Basecamp and updates - has anyone had any problems using a microSD card in their NavIV that's bigger than 8GB. The Garmin folks recommend a card between 4 - 8GB and when I looked around today I'm not finding anything smaller than 16GB.

Thanks!

'12 K1600GT (gone but not forgotten)
'13 S1000RR (sold it to Allstate)
'14 KLR 650 New Edition (gone and thanks for the memories)
'16 R1200GS Triple Black (for all of it)
'16 KTM Super Duke 1290 R (for the inner hooligan in me)
'18 WR250R (for all of it...but slower)
post #8 of 427 Old 05-12-2014, 10:46 AM

Question is, Town is not clickable?

When creating a route I like to have a recognizable name of a town that will show on the GPS for the next point to go to or next turn in the route. The map brings up points of interest but not clickable towns.

When I zoom in on the map and choose/click a town name, like Circleville Utah, there is a small black dot next to name in the list of choices. Now I want to create a way-point or use the insert tab to put the name into the route but the name is not clickable?
post #9 of 427 Old 05-12-2014, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge9421 View Post
keyboard arrows will move map around, and +- will zoom in and out
Perfect, that's what I was looking for!

Jim - I knew about the scroll wheel for zooming, but that didn't help much.

Ron - Torrance, CA
post #10 of 427 Old 05-12-2014, 03:56 PM

"When I zoom in on the map and choose/click a town name, like Circleville Utah, there is a small black dot next to name in the list of choices. Now I want to create a way-point or use the insert tab to put the name into the route but the name is not clickable?"

I'm not near my computer with Basecamp, this should be close. When you hover over the dot, or right click on the dot (not sure which), a pop up will appear and you can select to add the dot (Town or city in this case) to you active list. You may be able to add it directly to your route, but it might not add in the order you prefer. Either way, you can edit and add or rearrange the waypoints and via points.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page