Lifting the Front Wheel for Service - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 67 Old 05-23-2015, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Lifting the Front Wheel for Service

I bought a 2013GTL used last year and decided to replace the front wheel bearings. I have the parts now I just need to get the wheel out and the bike supported.
I decided to lift and hold the front wheel off the ground with a couple of bottle jacks from Harbor Freight and adapters I made. The engine guards are used as the jacking points.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2995.JPG
Views:	374
Size:	185.8 KB
ID:	37994   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2996.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	38002   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2999.JPG
Views:	274
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	38010   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3001.JPG
Views:	261
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	38018  

Bill
Objects in mirror appear to be getting smaller

2013 GTL w/Premium Package
Clearwater Darlas w/CanOpener4
Passport 9500ci, PDM60, Sena 20S, Nav V GPS
Ilium Floorboards, Brake Pedal Enlarger
Shifter Enlarger, Engine Guards, BMW Oil
Hiway Foot Rests, New switch clusters
EarthX36D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 Old 05-24-2015, 03:58 AM

I wouldnt trust the bottle jacks, sometimes they go down slowly with no advice.
I use two manual tripods.
post #3 of 67 Old 05-24-2015, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synt View Post
I wouldnt trust the bottle jacks, sometimes they go down slowly with no advice.
I use two manual tripods.
Thanks for the response. We have all probably had that happen. I made the adapters so that if the bottles bleed down the sleeves on the adapter create a hard stop so the downward travel is limited.

Bill
Objects in mirror appear to be getting smaller

2013 GTL w/Premium Package
Clearwater Darlas w/CanOpener4
Passport 9500ci, PDM60, Sena 20S, Nav V GPS
Ilium Floorboards, Brake Pedal Enlarger
Shifter Enlarger, Engine Guards, BMW Oil
Hiway Foot Rests, New switch clusters
EarthX36D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 67 Old 05-25-2015, 02:44 PM

I use a much simpler solution for not only lifting the front end of my GTL for tire service but also for raising the entire mc for easier service. BMW makes a part (# 321520/521) that screws in to the threaded space under the small roundel in the center of the handlebars that the dealers use to lift the bike. I have a garage with exposed 2x6 roof joists that I have added additional support to. I bought a harbor freight 1 ton manual chain hoist ($49) and have it attached to the supported joist. I use heavy tie-down straps, attached to both the front BMW tool and to the rear sub-frame (bags removed) and can safely lift the entire mc as much as 5 ft. off the ground. I can easily sit on my work stool and do oil changes or any other maintenance I need to do. Some people have said "this is a u-tube moment of potential disaster in the making" but I have been doing this for years with even heavier bikes without any problems. You just have to make sure that the joist is properly supported. When I need to replace tires I simply raise the bike a foot or so and remove both wheels and take them to the dealer for mounting the new tires.
post #5 of 67 Old 05-25-2015, 07:20 PM

Garage
I put 50~60 lbs. of weights in a duffle bag on the rear luggage rack to lighten the front end before lifting it while my wife slides several short 2x6's stacked on top of one another under the forward part of the engine.
post #6 of 67 Old 05-26-2015, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommarbru View Post
I use a much simpler solution for not only lifting the front end of my GTL for tire service but also for raising the entire mc for easier service. BMW makes a part (# 321520/521) that screws in to the threaded space under the small roundel in the center of the handlebars that the dealers use to lift the bike. I have a garage with exposed 2x6 roof joists that I have added additional support to. I bought a harbor freight 1 ton manual chain hoist ($49) and have it attached to the supported joist. I use heavy tie-down straps, attached to both the front BMW tool and to the rear sub-frame (bags removed) and can safely lift the entire mc as much as 5 ft. off the ground. I can easily sit on my work stool and do oil changes or any other maintenance I need to do. Some people have said "this is a u-tube moment of potential disaster in the making" but I have been doing this for years with even heavier bikes without any problems. You just have to make sure that the joist is properly supported. When I need to replace tires I simply raise the bike a foot or so and remove both wheels and take them to the dealer for mounting the new tires.

Can you provide any photos of the BMW bracket, and your set up? I would like to see how that works.
post #7 of 67 Old 05-26-2015, 02:25 AM

I googled the part # and found these pics:

I suppose any sufficiently strong metric eye hook would work, but it looks like this one has an indent near the threaded portion to help it seat fully and squarely over the existing nut, and a mechanism to allow the bolt to rotate inside the outer cylinder.

Interesting idea, though . . .
post #8 of 67 Old 05-26-2015, 10:19 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
I put 50~60 lbs. of weights in a duffle bag on the rear luggage rack to lighten the front end before lifting it while my wife slides several short 2x6's stacked on top of one another under the forward part of the engine.
And the award for simplest solution goes to ...
Baldhills likes this.
post #9 of 67 Old 05-29-2015, 12:17 AM

Garage
I just stick a small floor jack under the engine with a small chunk of 2X4 so I don't damage the oil pan and stick a jackstand under each of the crash bars and it works great. Nice and stable and safe,
racer1735 likes this.
post #10 of 67 Old 05-29-2015, 01:25 AM

Garage
I made a frame from Black pipe a few years ago to use a loading strap to support the front of my last bike. This would work in conjunction with the adapter mentioned if you don't have expose rafters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page