K1600 Demons - Or, is it me? - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 02-18-2013, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

K1600 Demons - Or, is it me?

In Dallas we have tollroads with 70 mph speed limits. Lots of lanes and opportunities to warm-up the K1600 engine. (I know that all y'all in the heavily regulated states are aghast at the notion of 70 mph inside a city. Get over it, there are 85 mph speed limits between Austin and San Antonio.)

I seldom ride around Dallas, just out then back in from out-of-state rides for me. But, when the weather turns nice my K1600 begs me to go out and play, even if it is on local roads. For some reason motorists do a good job of getting over out of the left lane to let the K1600 pass on by.

The K1600 allows the inner hooligan to come to the surface. At times it is hard to keep those demons under control.

Question: Is it the bike or is it the rider? Where do those hooligan demons reside?

RL
K1600GT #154
IBA# 37,282
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 02-18-2013, 09:11 AM

Peed Limits

RL,
Just flew back out of College Station yesterday afternoon. While staying with friends in Giddings I noticed the speed limits had increased. Up here where I live in the North East, there are so many protectionist that feel it's their job to protect us all from every possible hazard. There in Texas i was traveling on roads posted at 70 or 75 mph that back here in the North East would be posted at 45 tops. LOL.
Roads there are just a bit too flat and straight for what I am used too. I did enjoy the 70 degree weather. Left there yesterday around 4:00 and got back home here in the Berkshires at 2:30 this morning. It's 6 degrees and windy with some of my roofs shingles out across the two foot depth snow cover lawn.
I need to keep a second GTL in Texas for the winter riding season.
BTW, I did find a few sharp turns going through Dime Box.

Russ
post #3 of 31 Old 02-18-2013, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Dallas does have mountains and curves, all manmade though.

RL
K1600GT #154
IBA# 37,282
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 02-18-2013, 10:30 AM

It's the bike, RL. Too bad Ducati coined the "endless transformations" moniker, the K16 can be a parade float or a racetrack pace vehicle, depending on your mood. I suspect the two critters whispering in your ear, one with a halo the other with horns and a pointy tail, reside in that engine. Loafing at 85, those two are arguing!

V-Red-GT, San Francisco Bay.
post #5 of 31 Old 02-18-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL Lemke View Post
Question: Is it the bike or is it the rider? Where do those hooligan demons reside?
It's the rider - The bike is just the enabler.

When people ask me how my GTL is different than my Harley, I tell them that riding the Harley lets me relax while the GTL is always begging to go faster, lean farther, and brake later when approaching corners.

If you want to ride nice and slow, the GTL lets you relax. However, for those of us who enjoy adrenaline, the bike is always willing to provide a thrill ride.

Last edited by mtcycle; 02-18-2013 at 10:48 AM.
post #6 of 31 Old 02-18-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ82nd View Post
RL,
Just flew back out of College Station yesterday afternoon. While staying with friends in Giddings I noticed the speed limits had increased. Up here where I live in the North East, there are so many protectionist that feel it's their job to protect us all from every possible hazard. There in Texas i was traveling on roads posted at 70 or 75 mph that back here in the North East would be posted at 45 tops. LOL.
Roads there are just a bit too flat and straight for what I am used too. I did enjoy the 70 degree weather. Left there yesterday around 4:00 and got back home here in the Berkshires at 2:30 this morning. It's 6 degrees and windy with some of my roofs shingles out across the two foot depth snow cover lawn.
I need to keep a second GTL in Texas for the winter riding season.
BTW, I did find a few sharp turns going through Dime Box.

Russ
Went through Dime Box myself on Saturday. Unfortunately, you (and I) were about 100 mi too far east for the good stuff. You weren't the guy on the Kawasaki going back and forth on the twisty part, were you?

Jim Emmons
'12 GTL and '96 R 1100 RS
Nav IV, V
Windows 7 and 8.1
post #7 of 31 Old 02-18-2013, 10:53 AM

When I pull up behind a slow person in the left lane and I'm in my Honda Element they just sit there. If I'm on my white BMW I can see the car shake a bit then they turn on there blinker and move over. After I pass they move back. It helps that the CHP also ride white BMW's. The thing is such a pleasure to ride. Outstanding in the country and people move out of my way in the city. I don't know how it could get any better.

Rick
2012 K1600GT (smashed)
2015 K1600GT (went over a cliff)
2018 R1200GS
post #8 of 31 Old 02-18-2013, 10:59 AM

The rider picks the bike!
post #9 of 31 Old 02-18-2013, 11:02 AM

It's both. It's the bike actually, but up to you, as I am sure the judge will agree, to reign it in as appropriate.

Rich
Tucson, AZ and moving on.
2014 36' Tiffen Alllegro RED Class A Motor Home
2012 K1600GT Vermillion SOLD
Recent past - 2008 K1200GT, 2004 R1150RT, K75RT
post #10 of 31 Old 02-18-2013, 11:13 AM

It's the bike. She just doesn't like to go slow. I'm a very responsible guy. I'm a somewhat irresponsible guy when I'm riding it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page