BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums

BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums (https://www.k1600forum.com/forum/)
-   BMW K1600 Lighting / Electrical (https://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-k1600-lighting-electrical/)
-   -   Battery Charger for a K1600 GTL (https://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-k1600-lighting-electrical/129370-battery-charger-k1600-gtl.html)

nwbmwpair 08-28-2016 02:36 PM

Battery Charger for a K1600 GTL

Any comments on a battery charger for a 2015 K1600GTL? For charging an installed battery, the local BMW dealer recommends getting a BMW trickle charger which uses the bike's "On Board Socket". A concern here is not damaging the CAN-BUS and properly monitoring/charging the battery.

I've been using a "Battery Tender" unit (from my previous Harley Ultra-Classic). No issues to date, but my 2 year old battery isn't holding a charge as long as before. Maybe the charger I'm using? :puzzled:

Don't want to mess up my bike, but also not spend $$ needlessly. Thanks

RefCat 08-28-2016 03:39 PM

Can't say how good it works in the long run since I've only had it for a couple of months but I use the Optimate 4 by Tecmate:

TecMate OptiMate 4 Dual Program Battery Charger for BMW CANbus - RevZilla

It is compatible with the CANbus. I saw references to others who were happy with it...and it is a LOT cheaper than the BMW branded charger.

Pura Vida 08-28-2016 04:04 PM

The BMW charger is a bit pricey, but I have use one for the past three winters here in Vermont. Works great and nice to be able to easly plug it in to the bike. I still have the original battery on my 2013 GT and seems to still work like new.

Prince 08-28-2016 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RefCat (Post 1684338)
Can't say how good it works in the long run since I've only had it for a couple of months but I use the Optimate 4 by Tecmate:

It is compatible with the CANbus. I saw references to others who were happy with it...and it is a LOT cheaper than the BMW branded charger.

The Optimate is a great charger. In fact, it is the best charger I have ever purchased.

It has saved several batteries by its algorithm for charging slowly and pulsing.

DanDiver 08-28-2016 05:29 PM

Battery Tender makes a good battery conditioner / tender that worked well on my LT and has done a great job on my GTL. I simply hook it to the "pig tail" my dealer had installed directly to my battery. The connection is also good for a small compressor and heated vest.

nwbmwpair 08-28-2016 05:54 PM

Thanks I appreciate the info & will checkout the TecMate Optimate. Just put in a new battery - WOW what a difference for starting (duh). As expected, I reset the time & date. When starting it up the service indicator shows up yellow then fades to a dull gray. It was serviced in June & the next scheduled service date in 2017 shows up. I'm suspicious that swapping out the battery requires an additional reset to clear the gray service icon. Make sense?

Suggestion on how to clear this icon? I know the bike has a factory reset menu option, but I've avoided it.

JNW003 08-28-2016 06:29 PM

Like DanDiver, I installed a pig tail directly to my '16 GTLE's battery terminals to enable me to use the same charger (a CTEK Multi US 4.3) I use with my LT. The pig tail peeks out from under the LH side of the seat. So far, I've used it once to test it and it worked great, but haven't used it since, as the battery retains it's state of charge better than the LT. On the non-CAN-BUS LT, I plug the charger directly into an always-live powerlet socket. :bmw:

DanDiver 08-28-2016 06:34 PM

When I swapped out my 3 years old battery for a new one on my 2012 GTL, I did not have to reset anything.

nigelhobbes 09-13-2016 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RefCat (Post 1684338)

I use this one also. I needed it to tend the battery on the í07 RT and use it now on the GTL. It does a great job.

BADGER1 10-02-2016 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanDiver (Post 1684402)
Battery Tender makes a good battery conditioner / tender that worked well on my LT and has done a great job on my GTL. I simply hook it to the "pig tail" my dealer had installed directly to my battery. The connection is also good for a small compressor and heated vest.

So if I understand this Correctly,I can use a Regular Battery Tender for winter storage if it's connected right to the battery?
I have a few of these on other bikes all winter.......:frown: