Battery Charger for a K1600 GTL - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 08-28-2016, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Battery Charger for a K1600 GTL

Any comments on a battery charger for a 2015 K1600GTL? For charging an installed battery, the local BMW dealer recommends getting a BMW trickle charger which uses the bike's "On Board Socket". A concern here is not damaging the CAN-BUS and properly monitoring/charging the battery.

I've been using a "Battery Tender" unit (from my previous Harley Ultra-Classic). No issues to date, but my 2 year old battery isn't holding a charge as long as before. Maybe the charger I'm using?

Don't want to mess up my bike, but also not spend $$ needlessly. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 08-28-2016, 02:39 PM

Garage
Can't say how good it works in the long run since I've only had it for a couple of months but I use the Optimate 4 by Tecmate:

TecMate OptiMate 4 Dual Program Battery Charger for BMW CANbus - RevZilla

It is compatible with the CANbus. I saw references to others who were happy with it...and it is a LOT cheaper than the BMW branded charger.
exHarley Rider likes this.
post #3 of 20 Old 08-28-2016, 03:04 PM

The BMW charger is a bit pricey, but I have use one for the past three winters here in Vermont. Works great and nice to be able to easly plug it in to the bike. I still have the original battery on my 2013 GT and seems to still work like new.
maybeinoregon likes this.

2013 K1600 GT Dark Graphite Metallic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 08-28-2016, 04:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RefCat View Post
Can't say how good it works in the long run since I've only had it for a couple of months but I use the Optimate 4 by Tecmate:

It is compatible with the CANbus. I saw references to others who were happy with it...and it is a LOT cheaper than the BMW branded charger.
The Optimate is a great charger. In fact, it is the best charger I have ever purchased.

It has saved several batteries by its algorithm for charging slowly and pulsing.

Paul
1984 Honda V65 Magna
1985 BMW K100RT
2011 BMW K1600GTL - gone
2018 BMW K1600GTL
post #5 of 20 Old 08-28-2016, 04:29 PM

Battery Tender makes a good battery conditioner / tender that worked well on my LT and has done a great job on my GTL. I simply hook it to the "pig tail" my dealer had installed directly to my battery. The connection is also good for a small compressor and heated vest.
DLL66, Knife, Marc11 and 1 others like this.

2012 Grey K1600GTL
Tampa, Florida
post #6 of 20 Old 08-28-2016, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks I appreciate the info & will checkout the TecMate Optimate. Just put in a new battery - WOW what a difference for starting (duh). As expected, I reset the time & date. When starting it up the service indicator shows up yellow then fades to a dull gray. It was serviced in June & the next scheduled service date in 2017 shows up. I'm suspicious that swapping out the battery requires an additional reset to clear the gray service icon. Make sense?

Suggestion on how to clear this icon? I know the bike has a factory reset menu option, but I've avoided it.
post #7 of 20 Old 08-28-2016, 05:29 PM

Like DanDiver, I installed a pig tail directly to my '16 GTLE's battery terminals to enable me to use the same charger (a CTEK Multi US 4.3) I use with my LT. The pig tail peeks out from under the LH side of the seat. So far, I've used it once to test it and it worked great, but haven't used it since, as the battery retains it's state of charge better than the LT. On the non-CAN-BUS LT, I plug the charger directly into an always-live powerlet socket.
post #8 of 20 Old 08-28-2016, 05:34 PM

When I swapped out my 3 years old battery for a new one on my 2012 GTL, I did not have to reset anything.

2012 Grey K1600GTL
Tampa, Florida
post #9 of 20 Old 09-13-2016, 10:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RefCat View Post

I use this one also. I needed it to tend the battery on the 07 RT and use it now on the GTL. It does a great job.

David A.
IBA: 37338
BMWMOA: 139753
2012 GTL Mineral Silver Metallic
post #10 of 20 Old 10-02-2016, 11:22 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver View Post
Battery Tender makes a good battery conditioner / tender that worked well on my LT and has done a great job on my GTL. I simply hook it to the "pig tail" my dealer had installed directly to my battery. The connection is also good for a small compressor and heated vest.
So if I understand this Correctly,I can use a Regular Battery Tender for winter storage if it's connected right to the battery?
I have a few of these on other bikes all winter.......

I JUST WANT TO RIDE
BMWMOA# 210002
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page