Dropped the bike--right fog light is wonky - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 06-27-2017, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Question Dropped the bike--right fog light is wonky

The day after I got my brand new K1600 home, I dropped it in my garage taking it off the center stand. Doh!

No major damage, but my right winglet and fog light took the brunt of the fall. The metal bracket under the winglet got bent and I was able to bend it back (sort of) in place, but I really need to remove it, put it in a vice and straighten 100%.

Q1: How big of a deal is it to get that bracket off?

Q2: My buddy came over last night to help me get the fog lights adjusted (aimed) properly and it seems as though that right one has an LED not working in it because the light pattern is very different from the left light. I can't tell how many LEDs are in that light (or if there are even more than one). Is it possible that the drop caused the LED light output to change? I am stumped.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-27-2017, 12:47 PM

Ilium Works Engine Guards

The black bracket is just under the tupperware. Four or five bolts to remove and then you'll have easy access to remove.
Link above is for the engine guards you probably just realized you should buy - but also has an install video that shows you how to get to the bracket.
Just installed the guards with Charlie Fogg so this is fresh in the memory.

I bet the little bracket the light hangs on is just a few bucks - probably just easiest to replace as I don't think it's very solid metal.
Morgan likes this.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-27-2017, 01:37 PM

Garage
Bracket??

https://www.ascycles.com/MicroList?i...me=63%20Lights

LEFT BRACKET- Part # 46638535967
$44.22

RIGHT BRACKET- Part # 46638535968
$44.22

Best,

Doc
exHarley Rider likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-27-2017, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Di View Post
The day after I got my brand new K1600 home, I dropped it in my garage taking it off the center stand. Doh!
Guys in the shop move them around all the time, right off the center-stand, but I just don't do it enough to be comfortable. I prefer to sit on mine as I roll it off.
RefCat likes this.

2012 Grey K1600GTL
Tampa, Florida
post #5 of 11 Old 06-27-2017, 03:22 PM

I did the same a month ago when I just got mine. First time i've had a bike w/center stand. I had previously always been sitting on it when I moved it off the stand, then one day had the bright idea to just roll it forward standing to the side, and of course, it fell away from me. I was tugging like crazy but couldn't stop it from going over. I did manage to slow it down enough that the damage was minor and prob not noticeable to most. That said, I recently did the LED roundrel install and had to remove the fog lights and had a **** of a time trying to get them off. I had to use a wrench w/a torx bit in order to apply enough force to loosen the torx bolts w/out stripping the heads. Just fyi
post #6 of 11 Old 06-27-2017, 03:55 PM

Garage
If the light distribution pattern of the LED shows dark areas, the LED is likely shot. Unfortunately, you have to buy the entire unit and they are not cheap. Dunno your pricing in the US, here it makes a sizable hole in your pocket.

So be warned
Morgan likes this.

2018 BMW K1600 GT
2018 BMW K1600 GTL (sold)

2014 BMW K1600 GTL (sold)
2005-2014 5 HD ElectraGlides (sold)
2003 HD Softail (sold)
1973-1982 various jalopies (gone)

'You know that the world is going to hll if they have to print instructions on a bag of toothpicks'
After Douglas Adams RIP
post #7 of 11 Old 06-27-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViennaK View Post
If the light distribution pattern of the LED shows dark areas, the LED is likely shot. Unfortunately, you have to buy the entire unit and they are not cheap. Dunno your pricing in the US, here it makes a sizable hole in your pocket.

So be warned
$175, the parts site shows...
post #8 of 11 Old 06-27-2017, 04:21 PM

I always put the side stand down when taking the bike off the center stand

Scott
2015 K16GT
All gone: R1200RT LC, R1200 GS ADV, K1200 LT, R1150 GS ADV, ST1300s, R100 GSs, R1100 RSs, R100GS/PD
post #9 of 11 Old 06-27-2017, 04:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by srpuywa View Post
I always put the side stand down when taking the bike off the center stand
exactly. I have taught 110 lb women to centerstand 1500 goldwings(notorious, if you didn't know), and how to take them off the stand. Hand placement is everything, along with keeping the side stand down for safety reasons. I have never had a customer drop one, it just needs practice and proper technique. Sorry about your slight duff, good luck getting her back to 100 %
Rick

2016 BMW K1600 GTL-E

"It's such a fine line between clever and stupid" David St. Hubbins
post #10 of 11 Old 06-27-2017, 05:03 PM

I leave it in gear when I take it off the center stand so it does not roll forward much.
Morgan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page