Deltran Batter Tender / Charger Conditioner ! - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By DanDiver

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 09-29-2017, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Deltran Batter Tender / Charger Conditioner !

From Odyssey Battery today:

"http://www.odysseybattery.com/documents/ODYSSEY_approved_12V_chargers.pdf is the link to the approved compatible charger listing linked on the website Literature page. The 6A Schauer CM6A is a relatively inexpensive charger that has been tested and approved for use as both a charger and a maintainer for the PC680 sized battery. Consistent undercharging or maintaining the battery in an undercharged state at less than 13.5V will cause sulfation and premature failure."

My two year old Odyssey PC 680 battery would not crank for me this morning. It is almost always on the Deltran Tender when the bike is not in use. Odyssey is saying that the reason my battery died is because the float voltage on the tender is between 13.1 and 13.4 and it needs to be at least 13.5 !

The sent me instructions on how to recondition my Odyssey which I will do today. It involves running the voltage down to about 8 volts with the headlight and then connect the battery to a 10 amp charger for about 6-8 hours or as long as it takes to fully recharge the battery. It is recommended that I recondition it at least two times.

Seems like I am always learning something new, the hard way ! I'll let you know if the battery comes back.
toddmo17 likes this.

2012 Grey K1600GTL
Tampa, Florida
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-29-2017, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Procedure to Recondition my Odyssey Battery

Lead-acid batteries can develop reduced delivered capacity / performance after
prolonged periods of storage, especially if the batteries were not periodically boost
charged or left on a float / maintenance charger during the time of storage. The cause
of this reduced capacity is the development of sulfation of some of the oxide on the
plates. Sulfated oxide is discharged oxide and can be challenging to covert back to
charged oxide known as lead-dioxide. Left unconverted, this discharged lead sulfate
can develop even more hardened sulfate and could be non-reversible.

Action Procedure:
To hopefully reestablish full deliverable capacity, the following procedure is offered as a
“reconditioning charge cycle procedure.”

1. Discharge the battery using the vehicle head lights or connecting some electrical
load to the battery and discharge to 10.0V under load measured with a hand-held
digital volt meter. Once 10.0V is achieved, disconnect the electrical load or turn
off the headlights or other electrical system or device.

2. Begin recharging with an approved charger as listed at ODYSSEY battery - Official Manufacturer's Site
and with appropriate amperage for the capacity of the battery, minimum 40%
amperage of the 10 hour capacity rating of the battery. Utilizing chargers that
achieve 14.7V during charge and 13.6V in float are ideal. Monitor the batteries
terminal voltage with the charger operating to assure 15.0V is not exceeded at
any time. Charge the battery until the charging amperage seems to be near zero
amps and if the charger has a 13.6V float, float charge for 8-10 hours.

3. If the battery gets hot to the touch (exceeds 125⁰F), stop charging and allow to
cool. Once cool, begin charging again until charge complete.

4. Charging times can be 6-10 hours depending on the charger amperage rating to
the amp-hour rating of the battery. As an example, a 10 amp charger on an
ODYSSEY PC925 would take approximately 7-8 hours to fully recharge.

5. Performing more than one discharge and recharge cycle is beneficial to
increasing restored capacity.

For questions, please call 660-429-2165 and ask for ODYSSEY Support.

2012 Grey K1600GTL
Tampa, Florida
post #3 of 6 Old 09-29-2017, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

More from Odyssey:

14.4-14.8V with optimum being 14.7V in the absorption and 13.5-13.8V with optimum being 13.6V in the float. Not required for this procedure but for best results. As long as the battery doesn’t overheat to the point of venting, hissing or to where you cannot hold your hand on it (about 125°F) it should be fine. If it does overheat and the charging voltage is less than 15.0V then the battery is sulfated and has a high internal resistance. Discontinue charging and allow to cool completely for 24 hours before attempting to charge again.

Fully charged, the battery will have a rested voltage of at least 12.84V 8-24 hours off charge. Most conventional chargers do well to get the battery to 12.6-12.7V. Charge for 8-10 hours and allow an overnight rest before checking the voltage. Cycle at least two times. More times if it takes longer with each successive discharge to reach 10.0V using the same loads from a full state of charge. Longer run times indicate improved capacity. If you know the loads applied to discharge the battery, you can use the performance chart in the Technical Manual to gauge performance.

2012 Grey K1600GTL
Tampa, Florida
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 09-30-2017, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

After going through the reconditioning process above two times, the bike fired up this morning and I took her for a nice ride. She is now hooked up to the old tender because the newly order one has not arrived. It will be the end of next month before I will be able to follow up...

2012 Grey K1600GTL
Tampa, Florida
post #5 of 6 Old 10-29-2017, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Follow-up

I've been gone for 3 weeks and bike was left hooked up to the old tender, after the battery was conditioned (instructions above). It seems to be working as it did wen it was new and holding a good charge. It's now on the new 6A Schauer CM6A charger/conditioner and seems to be OK. Time will tell, but I don't leave home without a good set of jumper cables... Trust but verify..

2012 Grey K1600GTL
Tampa, Florida
post #6 of 6 Old 12-06-2017, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

I have had 2 months of good starts, but had an issue trying to start my bike this afternoon...It is always on their recommended conditioner when I'm not riding the bike. . I called Odyssey and after a few conversations and checking the batteries voltage after leaving the lights on for 5 minutes, the voltage read 13.3 volts. The battery is barely past the two year mark and they are going to replace it.

I do like their good service !!

2012 Grey K1600GTL
Tampa, Florida
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page