EZ CAN & LD5 - LED Light questions... - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 06-04-2018, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
EZ CAN & LD5 - LED Light questions...

I am composing a system of the EZ CAN and LDS LED aux long distance lights. Two questions.

Mounting the xLD5 - Long Distance 4.75 Inch Lights?

And additional switches required. I think I want to go with the single on/off style switching, (The Scene IQ-275 is an option, but do I

really need this?) Any opinions are welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Sky

LD5 Lights: https://ledrider.com/shop/?model_number=LD5

Sky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-04-2018, 06:07 PM

Garage
@Chop96 installed these using Clearwater mirror mounts I believe. Super bright, even at <50%.

With excan or skene , there is no physical switch, but they are configurable controllers. Methods and capabilities vary by controller. IMO, you donít need both, but that and which is better will depend on your use case.

If you can tell us the functionality youíre looking for, that would help.

Justin / 2015 K1600GT
post #3 of 11 Old 06-04-2018, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6xGrins View Post
@Chop96 installed these using Clearwater mirror mounts I believe. Super bright, even at <50%.

With excan or skene , there is no physical switch, but they are configurable controllers. Methods and capabilities vary by controller. IMO, you donít need both, but that and which is better will depend on your use case.

If you can tell us the functionality youíre looking for, that would help.
Primary use is for better visibility during the daytime but would like the to have the aux lights as well for those few nights that I ride.

*This 3 position rotary switch, (With knob) mounted like "Chop96" did;

This should give me a 3 position for the new lights, on / /low / bright.

Opinions?

Sky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-04-2018, 06:29 PM

That switch isn't going to be easily accessible at night with gloves on... At 100% in the daytime you'll piss oncoming traffic off, especially if it's a cloudy day.

I have Baja Design Squadron Pros and a Skene controller with a 2 position switch wired to the controller mounted next to the left hand grip. Switch is set for 20% and 50%. The high beam leg of the Skene controller is tapped in to the bikes high beams for 100%. I use the 50% for daytime, 20% night/low beam.

Duane

Duane: '12 K1600GT/WL EngineBars//Wilbers/VarioLevers/ cbdaneAmber /BajaDesigns LED/PDM60/Remus Headers/GPR Exhaust/BST Carbon Fiber Wheels
post #5 of 11 Old 06-04-2018, 07:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguyz View Post
Primary use is for better visibility during the daytime but would like the to have the aux lights as well for those few nights that I ride.

*This 3 position rotary switch, (With knob) mounted like "Chop96" did;

This should give me a 3 position for the new lights, on / /low / bright.

Opinions?
I use that three position switch to control three brightness levels. I have a separate switch up on the left handlebar to turn on, and send them to 100% using the high beam. So, using the Skene IQ-275 and those two switches, I have off, programmed to 20%, 40%, 60%, and 100% with high beam. I think the only piece I didn't show is the push-button on/off switch I used on the handlebars. Got it on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Billet-On-O...item25d96ad2cc

Those LD5 lights are pretty darn bright and mount very easily using the Clearwater mirror mounts.

BTW - I also replaced the stock aux lights with the LEDRider LX3s for a substantial brightness increase over the stock lights. I control the brightness of both sets of lights using that one rotary knob. That thread where you grabbed the picture tells how I did that replacement including the mounting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnert View Post
That switch isn't going to be easily accessible at night with gloves on... At 100% in the daytime you'll piss oncoming traffic off, especially if it's a cloudy day.
Duane - I disagree - REALLY easy to use with any/all gloves I have incl the thick heated ones. That said, if the lights wired as I have them, the on/off is a quick finger push away, and if the 3-pos switch is properly set for night (i.e. lowest setting), then full bright to a "socially acceptable" level is as easy as turning off the high beams.

Skyguy - if you need/want more specifics, let me know.

Justin - thanks for pulling me into this one.
6xGrins likes this.

Greg
2014 K1600GT Sport
2016 S1000R
post #6 of 11 Old 06-04-2018, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:

I have Baja Design Squadron Pros and a Skene controller with a 2 position switch wired to the controller mounted next to the left hand grip. Switch is set for 20% and 50%. The high beam leg of the Skene controller is tapped in to the bikes high beams for 100%. I use the 50% for daytime, 20% night/low beam.

Duane

OK,

So I ordered the Skene controller with alert function and will set the brightness as to not to upset other drivers. I don't see any other way of running these4 lights.

Sky
Gunnert likes this.

Sky
post #7 of 11 Old 06-04-2018, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop96 View Post

Duane - I disagree - REALLY easy to use with any/all gloves I have incl the thick heated ones. That said, if the lights wired as I have them, the on/off is a quick finger push away, and if the 3-pos switch is properly set for night (i.e. lowest setting), then full bright to a "socially acceptable" level is as easy as turning off the high beams.

Greg, if you were using that switch for on/off, which is what the OP was suggesting he was going to do, it'd be a PIA.

Duane

Duane: '12 K1600GT/WL EngineBars//Wilbers/VarioLevers/ cbdaneAmber /BajaDesigns LED/PDM60/Remus Headers/GPR Exhaust/BST Carbon Fiber Wheels
post #8 of 11 Old 06-04-2018, 07:14 PM

Garage
Quote:
Greg, if you were using that switch for on/off, which is what the OP was suggesting he was going to do, it'd be a PIA.

Duane
I agree - Which is why I didn't wire mine that way.

I thought you were more referring to being able to find/turn the knob with gloves on. No issues whatsoever - easy as pie.

Greg
2014 K1600GT Sport
2016 S1000R
post #9 of 11 Old 06-05-2018, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Update...

After much review I decided to go with the EZ Can system. It's a no brainer and highly configurable. *I wish the EZ Can website would put info upfront about the wonder wheel and on /off blinker cancel for the aux LED's. It is buried in the software video.

No worries. I did order the 5000 lum LEDRider lights and not heard back from Justin at the website. Strange, LEDRider does not provide a phone number. Although there have been glowing remarks about LEDRider customer service, I have yet to receive a reply to my e-mails and I cannot call them. Not good.

LEDRider customer service contact page.

https://ledrider.com/contact-us/

Sky
post #10 of 11 Old 06-05-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop96 View Post
I use that three position switch to control three brightness levels. I have a separate switch up on the left handlebar to turn on, and send them to 100% using the high beam. So, using the Skene IQ-275 and those two switches, I have off, programmed to 20%, 40%, 60%, and 100% with high beam. I think the only piece I didn't show is the push-button on/off switch I used on the handlebars. Got it on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Billet-On-O...item25d96ad2cc

Those LD5 lights are pretty darn bright and mount very easily using the Clearwater mirror mounts.

BTW - I also replaced the stock aux lights with the LEDRider LX3s for a substantial brightness increase over the stock lights. I control the brightness of both sets of lights using that one rotary knob. That thread where you grabbed the picture tells how I did that replacement including the mounting.

Skyguy - if you need/want more specifics, let me know.

Hey Greg-

Not trying to complicate an easy answer, but where did you get the 3-position switches, and how did you wire them to work with the Skene IQ-275 controller?

Thanks,

Dave R.

2015 Space age alloy-based 1,649cc inline six cylinder powered (K-48 series) sport touring (GT) motorcycle by Bayerische Motoren Werke, in HOK Burple and Stark White.

" The cure for Skinny, Uncomfortable Grips "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page