Lighting up the handle bar switch - Page 2 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 Old 03-26-2019, 07:28 PM

Another reason I recommend against the rider training course as opposed to the riding test for obtaining a license:

In California if you opt to take the motorcycle rider test rather than the course one of the requirements is that you demonstrate proper operation of the controls without looking at them (proctor hides from view with clipboard).

I consider it unethical to look at a control when riding. The screen, yes, briefly, but even that can be too distracting if not used properly. Why put myself and others at risk looking at something other than the road?

I would readily vote for making the rider test mandatory (but, I would also vote for including parallel parking in the driving test - I have become increasingly curmudgeonly).
DanDiver and ResQU like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 Old 03-26-2019, 08:21 PM

For some odd reason, after several 1,000 miles I can easily get to everything I need, except the horn !

By the time I find it, the need, in most cases has passed. I've thought of installing another better located switch, but just never got around to it.
J-Luv likes this.

2012 Grey K1600GTL
Tampa, Florida
post #13 of 19 Old 03-26-2019, 08:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Luv View Post
I get it. I have wished a time or two that they were illuminated. I have habits which I developed on other bikes that come through on occasion; especially now after the extended winter doldrums. If I had more than one bike now, it might be an issue going back and forth. As it is, I get back into a routine pretty quickly as riding time increases and habits are reestablished. Sometimes I play with the wonderwheel menu for just for the practice and familiarity. Muscle memory is strong and better when it comes to reaction time versus looking and pecking. It would be a nice convenience if all the buttons were back illuminated. Must be an issue with water and other elements that prevent that introduction.
The radio buttons on the lower left fairing are illuminated. No reason BMW couldn't have done the same for the handlebar controls.

2018 K1600 GTL, Option 719 "Sparkling Storm Metallic"
2004 Honda VTX1800 Neo-Retro "Titanium" aka "Pearl Challenger Brown"

Last edited by vtx1800n1; 03-28-2019 at 12:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 Old 03-26-2019, 09:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver View Post
For some odd reason, after several 1,000 miles I can easily get to everything I need, except the horn !

By the time I find it, the need, in most cases has passed. I've thought of installing another better located switch, but just never got around to it.
Perfect endorsement for memorizing button locations.... in those situations you typically do not want to divert your attention away from what’s in front of you.
ProtonDecay likes this.

I honestly try to not ride faster than my guardian angel can fly , however....I know it's pooped by end of the ride
post #15 of 19 Old 03-26-2019, 09:44 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtx1800n1 View Post
The radio buttons on the lower right fairing are illuminated. No reason BMW couldn't have done the same for the handlebar controls.
Those buttons require you to move your hand away from the grip. The illumination helps quickly locate them on the panel, not necessarily identify their function. I know I can’t see them well enough to read the letters.

...but I get you’re point

I honestly try to not ride faster than my guardian angel can fly , however....I know it's pooped by end of the ride
post #16 of 19 Old 03-27-2019, 05:07 PM

I built the little LED lights for my K1600BGA.

Obviously all of you muscle memory advocates don't suffer from MBS (Multiple Bike Syndrome).

You already know what the K1600BGA switchgear looks like. I also have a 2010 F800GS. It has the old BMW style turn signals and horn in a wierd place. I also regularly ride a 2001 MotoGuzzi V11 Sport which has Japanese style switch gear. So, no, I can't develop muscle memory. And when it's dark in the desert, it's really nice to be able to see those buttons.

One day when I have nothing better to do, I will re-wire my F800 with the newer style BWM switchgear so it at least matches the K16.
DanDiver likes this.
post #17 of 19 Old 03-28-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbolesaz View Post
Obviously all of you muscle memory advocates don't suffer from MBS (Multiple Bike Syndrome).

That's a nice problem to have.... :-)
Vandaldog likes this.

2012 Grey K1600GTL
Tampa, Florida
post #18 of 19 Old 03-28-2019, 08:17 PM

Coming off a Harley, my first couple of months on the GTL were frustrating with respect to all the switches. But, as everyone else has noted, in time, you learn to know by feel where everything is located, especially at night.
My one regret, seeing that I have a key-start 2013, is that the key slot is not visible at night if there are no street lights. Trying to get the key into the angled, locked, slot position is challenging at time. Some sort of dash light might be nice, but I think I'll just get a little flashlight fob.
The bike isn't perfect. But after over six years, it's getting pretty close to it.

Live with it. Ride a lot. Learn the bike.
post #19 of 19 Old 03-29-2019, 08:41 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbolesaz View Post
I built the little LED lights for my K1600BGA.

You already know what the K1600BGA switchgear looks like. I also have a 2010 F800GS. It has the old BMW style turn signals and horn in a wierd place. I also regularly ride a 2001 MotoGuzzi V11 Sport which has Japanese style switch gear. So, no, I can't develop muscle memory. And when it's dark in the desert, it's really nice to be able to see those buttons.

One day when I have nothing better to do, I will re-wire my F800 with the newer style BWM switchgear so it at least matches the K16.
Got a 67 HD Police, you need muscle memory to ride it

2018 BMW K1600 GT
1967 HD FL Police
2018 BMW K1600 GTL (sold)

2014 BMW K1600 GTL (sold)
2005-2014 5 HD ElectraGlides (sold)
2003 HD Softail (sold)
1973-1982 various jalopies (gone)

'You know that the world is going to h€ll if they have to print instructions on a bag of toothpicks'
After Douglas Adams RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page