BMW K1600 Forum banner

Outlet on dash

6K views 32 replies 12 participants last post by  KCMO Steve 
#1 ·
I bought an adapter from the din to USB. It appears that the outlet stays on even when bike is off. Is there a way to shut these odd when bike is off?
Thanks
Mike

#2 ·
There is a current limit on that power outlet. If exceeded, the outlet will not power down. Otherwise, that outlet should power down in about 30 seconds. On my KB, I can provide power for a SmartPhone and GPS and all works perfectly. If I add a radar detector as well, the outlet will stay hot.

#16 ·
Assuming there is nothing wrong with the bike's electrical system itself, there clearly is something wrong with this adapter. That adapter should be drawing only a few milliamps as stated by the manufacturer here:

"Note: When this charger is connected directly to the battery it will draw a very small amount of power (milliAmps). Over time it may drain the battery. We recommend to unplug it when not used, or connect it to a switched power source"

Since your DIN socket doesn't shut off as it should, then either the design of this particular adapter draws too much current or it is defective. You might want to try a different adapter to see if that works better.

#7 ·
If there is enough of an amp draw, the bike computer will sense it and keep the port live....If there is too much draw, ie; compressor, the bike will kill the circuit like a fuse but then reset with the ignition power cycle.

#18 · (Edited)
So if it is removed from the power port when the bike is turned off and you wait a minute then plug it in, is the port dead? If so then the power draw just under 1/4 amp (oops math is off):bangdesk: ....anyway, it must be enough to trip the bike CanBUS to keep the port hot. Member @cbdane may have an exact value or cycle info that helps...
It appears that if you want to use that volt display device, you are going to have to unplug it while not on the bike....or expect that it will continue to draw power while the bike is off.
Try a different one, or you could disconnect that port from the OEM wires, install a power relay like a PDM 60 reconnect the power port to that and have a higher rated auxiliary power source that will deactivate when the bike is turned off, regardless of the power draw.

#20 ·
I would like to present an alternative hypothesis as to whats happening here. I am not sure about the STAY ON WHEN A LOAD IS SENSED but i am sure that the plug stays hot when VOLTAGE AFTER POWER OFF (simulating the BMW charger is plugged into the bike) is present.

The BMW battery changer outputs voltage and current keeping the circuit in the ON state. I unfortunately had a USB 3.0 quick charger with a display that had a capacitor wired across the circuit faking out the signal to the computer that a charger was hooked up.

When you hear the click of the relay the system goes to SENSE mode and when it finds voltage still on the wires from the capacitor it turns the plug back on so the " BMW charger" can feed the battery.

My solution was proven by cutting the capacitor out of mine and the system turned off with or without a load on the USB charger.

In theory a diode could also be used to avoid the false single from back-feeding into the computer.

Reactions: ResQU
#33 ·
If you are putting a diode in the power/USB plug and think you may need the full power of the power circuit, I would make sure the diode is rated for at least 4 amps. As seen on the link, most common diodes you see for sale are 1 amp and quite a bit smaller than a 4amp diode. The spec sheet (scroll to the bottom) I saw for a 4amp diode (the body minus the leads) showed the diameter a little over 3/16" in diameter and over 1/4" long.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.