Wonder wheel stiff - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By av8r
  • 1 Post By av8r
  • 1 Post By dobervol

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 05-13-2019, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Wonder wheel stiff

Just got my new to me 16 GTL. I have no point of reference on this, but the WW feels very stiff..almost gritty. Can these be easily cleaned/lubricated? I've looked a bit for an answer, but apparently this isn't a big issue.

Thanks
dobervol likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-14-2019, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

Just fyi, I used some BreakFree CLP, put the bike on the side stand and dripped a drop at a time into the crack between the rotating part of the wheel and the stationary part. Capillary action drew the lube into the wheel and after 5 minutes of spinning and lubing I have a much better feeling wheel. I'd still like to remove and disassemble it to clean and grease it, but this will do for now.
dobervol likes this.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-14-2019, 05:16 PM

Garage
Our brilliant membership is on top of it, and it feels like all I'm doing is complimenting people for starting threads today, but your post is another thing I, ahem, "wondered" about from day one with the new bike. "Boy, that thing feels and works nice. But what happens when you ride through a dust storm or some sand on the road near a concrete plant?"

Surely...surely...they have to be made to take apart, clean, lube, and put back together...right? The Mother Ship has to know this is not the joystick inside your 5 series, and is gonna get crud in it if you ride your bike at all.
TouringTim likes this.

Joey

2019 K1600GT Option 719 Blue Planet Metallic, Brown Seat, Forged Wheels
2006 K1200S
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-14-2019, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobervol View Post
Our brilliant membership is on top of it, and it feels like all I'm doing is complimenting people for starting threads today, but your post is another thing I, ahem, "wondered" about from day one with the new bike. "Boy, that thing feels and works nice. But what happens when you ride through a dust storm or some sand on the road near a concrete plant?"

Surely...surely...they have to be made to take apart, clean, lube, and put back together...right? The Mother Ship has to know this is not the joystick inside your 5 series, and is gonna get crud in it if you ride your bike at all.
Someone here, recently, showed one they had taken apart because the detents no longer added resistance when turning the wheel so I assume it can be done, but BMW warns in the service manual that it will irreparably damage the printed circuits. I think they're lying.

I suspect the effect (hard to turn, etc) comes on so slowly that you might not notice it. The difference in mine is significant now that it's lubed up some.

Last edited by av8r; 05-14-2019 at 08:19 PM.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-15-2019, 01:14 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by av8r View Post
...but BMW warns in the service manual that it will irreparably damage the printed circuits. I think they're lying.
This is silly logic on their part, if they are angling to sell you a new wheel (and new wheel install, if you have it done at the dealer) every time it gets too sticky to move, because if it's sticky, and your choices are to: 1. Just buy a new one, OR 2. Try cleaning and lubing it, and maybe it works, maybe it doesn't, but if it ruins the wheel, you were gonna have to buy a new one anyway, so no biggie, which one are people gonna do? Exactly what you did, that's what.

Joey

2019 K1600GT Option 719 Blue Planet Metallic, Brown Seat, Forged Wheels
2006 K1200S
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page