Aux light wiring - wire routing? - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By RefCat
  • 3 Post By justcharlie
  • 1 Post By RefCat

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 07-09-2019, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Aux light wiring - wire routing?

Been busy with other stuff and haven't gotten into doing electrical mods but I plan to add some orange conspicuity lights up on the forks. The power source will be an ezCan mounted under the passenger seat per their YouTube on how/where to install it.

I haven't pulled any of the Tupperware off yet but I imagine running the wiring up under the tank is the usual route, right?

Loud pipes save egos.

2014 K1600GT
Also own: 5 K75s, a K100, a K1 & 3 K1100s, WR250R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-09-2019, 02:48 PM

If I was starting over with a new bike I'd run no less 5ea + - 16ga wires from the battery compartment, snake along the left side of the frame and tie off under the left side Tupperware. I'd wrap the 'bundle' with cloth electrical tape before snaking. I'd then add universal grounding block next to the battery and connect all the - wires to that block.

Duane

Duane: '12 K1600GT/WL EngineBars//Wilbers/VarioLevers/ cbdaneAmber /BajaDesigns LED/PDM60/Remus Headers/GPR Exhaust/BST Carbon Fiber Wheels
post #3 of 7 Old 07-09-2019, 03:05 PM

If you're after conspicuity, you'll want to mount them a bit higher...like mirror height.

Joe

“Fate whispers to the warrior, 'You can not withstand the storm.'
The warrior whispers back, 'I am the storm.'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 07-09-2019, 04:04 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnert View Post
If I was starting over with a new bike I'd run no less 5ea + - 16ga wires from the battery compartment, snake along the left side of the frame and tie off under the left side Tupperware. I'd wrap the 'bundle' with cloth electrical tape before snaking. I'd then add universal grounding block next to the battery and connect all the - wires to that block.

Duane
I did more or less what you described. I didn't run all a 16ga. I ran 3 14ga (horn, lights, ground) and 3 18 ga (light control, accessory, etc.). All are different colors. The horn probably didn't need 14ga since it is momentary but a bigger ground wire is warranted since it is carrying the ground load for all of the other wires.

I used this to sheath the wires, applying heat shrink tubing to the ends to secure the wires in it...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I fished this wire "harness" it through the frame area without taking the tank off.
Gunnert likes this.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-09-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGuy View Post
If you're after conspicuity, you'll want to mount them a bit higher...like mirror height.

Joe
Maybe so, but there are two schools of thought on that. There's something to be said for getting the lights as far apart as possible, makes it look like a bigger vehicle. I think that's why BMW put the driving lights on the lower fairing. I put my CW Darlas out on the engine bars.

I don't doubt that putting the lights on higher can light up the road for the rider to see better while slanting down a little more than low mounted lights, so it doesn't blind oncoming drivers as much. I rarely ride at night, so I'm more interested in being seen than in seeing better. If I did ride at night, I'd add something that'd really light up the ditches on high beams so I could see any kamikaze animals better.

'18 GTL ebony metallic
added: Altrider engine bars, Ilium rear bars, Clearwater Darla and Billie brake lights
post #6 of 7 Old 07-09-2019, 07:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by justcharlie View Post
Maybe so, but there are two schools of thought on that. There's something to be said for getting the lights as far apart as possible, makes it look like a bigger vehicle. I think that's why BMW put the driving lights on the lower fairing. I put my CW Darlas out on the engine bars.
It not only makes the bike look larger, but I believe it changes the perception of distance. With only a smallish light (or set of lights) that is moving, you really have no reference to how close/far large/small an object is if all you can resolve is the light. Once you add additional, well spaced, points of reference, I believe you greatly improve others' perception of your position and speed.
Jonnybow likes this.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-10-2019, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefCat View Post
It not only makes the bike look larger, but I believe it changes the perception of distance. With only a smallish light (or set of lights) that is moving, you really have no reference to how close/far large/small an object is if all you can resolve is the light. Once you add additional, well spaced, points of reference, I believe you greatly improve others' perception of your position and speed.
You're absolutely correct about the inability to assess distance and approach speed if all you can see is, essentially, a single light source. Research into motorcycle conspicuity carried out in Europe found the best results were when the lights formed a well-spaced triangle - which probably explains the positioning of the factory aux lights on the K1600's. The downside for us in Europe is that due to their height above the ground, in some countries they are illegal to use except in fog...

Phil
2019 K1600 GT Sport
2015 W212 E63 AMG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page