DENALI DM 2.0 TriOptic LED Lights - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By dobervol

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 07-17-2019, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

DENALI DM 2.0 TriOptic LED Lights

I'm thinking of buying these lights to replace my factory installed ones near the bottom of the bike. Does anyone have these and are happy with them? The factory ones are good for illuminating around the front of the bike, but don't help much down the road. They come with different lenses and suggest using a spot lens on one light and a flood lens on the other light for distance illumination and a useful spread of light at close range. Would these be plug and play on my bike, using the connectors for the factory lights, or would I have to have a can opener or something similar to make them work?
http://bit.ly/2XSdlw9
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-17-2019, 12:50 PM

Garage
Yes; yes.

I just use spot lenses on both, and bought the amber lenses for purposes of conspicuity, but they do work much better in fog with the amber, since white light just lights up the fog.

The install kits make use of battery connections, or you can wire it into a power distribution module or fuse block if you have one, but for what I call true plug-and-play, you would need to buy their CanSmart. But even then, if you do not plan to buy any other Denali products, the CanSmart would be overkill, IMO, and it has to be wired to the battery connections, so if you don't have a bunch of stuff already wired to the battery, in which case you need a fuse block or PDM of some sort, your best bet is to just buy the wiring kit, and all you have to do apart from be sure you have the mounting kit for your location (fender or mirror), is just wire a positive and negative ring terminal to the battery terminals, and everything else is plug and play.

However, I would invest in the "data dim" kit for use of the dimming, 50% feature, so you don't blind oncoming traffic. It works either with a switch you mount on your bars or wherever else you prefer, and it's ALL still plub-and-play, OR for a truly integrated setup, you tap into your high beam wire. This is pretty much idiot-proof if you check to be sure you ID the correct wire, and use a posi-tap, which I think Denali even provides for you. No cutting or splicing, just screw the connector into position. This means you have your lights on 50% when you have them on low beam, and 100% when they are on bright.

This is what I did on my wife's bike, as it makes sense to the both of us. If someone needs more light, they usually hit their high beams, and if someone's coming, they usually dim to be polite. You don't have to mount a switch this way, and if your OEM lights are on high, your Denalis are, too, and that serves as your switch.

On my own bike, I have the Danali CanSmart, and couldn't be happier, since it offers 10-position dimming with the Wonderwheel, but I also have two sets of Denali lights, their brake light, and their horn.
tonymnace and J-Luv like this.

Joey

2019 K1600GT Option 719 Blue Planet Metallic, Brown Seat, Forged Wheels
2006 K1200S
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page