Error code? - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gusbus27

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 08-10-2019, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Error code?

Iím starting some lighting projects on my new to me 2018 GTL. First installed the top box brake light no problem.

Next step is to install a Fuzeblock to run some Skene P3ís on the back. I disconnected the negative on the battery and tapped into the license plate light wire to get a switched 12v trigger for the Fuzeblock. With just a wire tapped in, no Fuzeblock or anything else new I reconnected the battery to check my Posi Lock connection. Turned on the bike and got a red triangle and the service light came on. I just had it serviced.

I know these bikes are sensitive but will a posi connector with no draw at all cause an error code? Or could disconnecting the battery cause the code?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-10-2019, 09:35 PM

Unplug the wire to see if the triangle goes away...

Entropy isn't what it used to be.
post #3 of 10 Old 08-11-2019, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

I removed the new wire, still have red triangle. Also went back and unplugged the new top case brake light and still have red triangle.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 08-11-2019, 12:28 PM

Garage
will probably need a reset with gs911

R80/7RT / K75RT / R1200RT / K1600 GTL - in the U.K.
Also Rans ( Honda C90 & CD175 & CX500 & ST1100, Suzuki GT250 (J) & X7, Puch Maxi), Coveted Honda CBX, Yamaha Martini XS 1300 & FS1E, Kawasaki Z900, Z1000 & Z650, Quasar, Suzuki GT750
post #5 of 10 Old 08-11-2019, 12:37 PM

Check to see if the bike's date was lost when the battery was disconnected. If so, that can trigger a service warning.

'18 GTL ebony metallic
added: Altrider engine bars, Ilium rear bars, Clearwater Darla and Billie brake lights
post #6 of 10 Old 08-11-2019, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Thank you. The date and time were messed up from disconnecting the battery. Reset both, turned bike off and back on. The service light is gone but Iím still getting a brief red triangle.

post #7 of 10 Old 08-11-2019, 02:02 PM

Garage
I run a fuzeblock and don't have that problem. Have you tried starting the bike to see if the red triangle goes away?

2016 Glacier Silver/matte blue vinyl wrap GTL
1975 Daytona Orange R90S
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650
IBA#9293 BMWRA#41092 BMWMOA#185857
2004 Red Corvette
2005 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler
post #8 of 10 Old 08-11-2019, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Yes I started the bike turned off and back on again. Still a one flash red triangle then it goes away. It does not stay on.

Iíve read mixed experience on the forum about whether the dealer needs to do something after the top case brake light is installed. Maybe that is the issue.

post #9 of 10 Old 08-21-2019, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Updating this issue. I bought a GS-911 vs paying the dealer $100 every time to plug in a service tool.

Had error code on top box brake light. I cleared the code in the 911, rescanned, no codes.

Removed the 911, turned on the bike, still have a yellow triangle flash then a red triangle flash on startup, but they both go away after the dash settles down.

Is this normal startup on all bikes, or is the red triangle flash still an issue? I cannot remember if it did this when I got the bike.

dobervol likes this.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-21-2019, 10:54 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusbus27 View Post
Updating this issue. I bought a GS-911 vs paying the dealer $100 every time to plug in a service tool.

Had error code on top box brake light. I cleared the code in the 911, rescanned, no codes.

Removed the 911, turned on the bike, still have a yellow triangle flash then a red triangle flash on startup, but they both go away after the dash settles down.

Is this normal startup on all bikes, or is the red triangle flash still an issue? I cannot remember if it did this when I got the bike.

It may be a much wider issue, but just speaking for myself going back to at least my 2006 K1200S, the K-bikes of all ilk have had a tendency for 1-3 yellow or red lights to stay on for varying lengths of time after startup. Sometimes, idling may cause them to go away, but often they stay on until you begin riding away, especially the ABS brake malfunction light, and then immediately go off. If the dash clears the second you leave the driveway and hit second gear, if not before, nothing to worry about. Iím just used to it by now.

I get the concern, because particularly with the brakes, you want to know theyíre functioning properly before you leave, so if the light doesnít go out immediately, stop and go back.

In like manner, Iíd expect ALL the lights of any kind to be out by then, too, at the latest.

Joey

2019 K1600GT Option 719 Blue Planet Metallic, Brown Seat, Forged Wheels
2006 K1200S
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page