Clearwater Darla - operation question - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 09-04-2019, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Clearwater Darla - operation question

I purchased a K1600B back in late July. I bought it basically sight unseen, but was able to arrange a trip to see it and ride it before the deal was finalized. I had to have it shipped in order to avoid sales tax (I'm in Oregon, bike was in California).

Anyway, I finally received the bike on Monday and had all the time to look it over. One thing that is bugging me is the fog light operation. The previous owner installed Clearwater Darla lights in the stock location (below foot boards). They come on when I push the main power button for the bike, however the fog light switch on the handlebar does not control them. The green fog light icon lights up on the dash, but the lights stay on regardless. I also noticed the fog lights get brighter when I switch the high beams on.

It appears that the Clearwater lights were wired to the headlight and not the fog light switch. Not sure if this was done intentionally or by mistake. I'd like to be able to control them with the stock fog light handlebar switch. Has anyone installed these lights that could provide assistance in where the wiring is etc?

Heading to the dealer today to see if I can get an owners manual/service manual. I tried to download it online, but I think BMW page for that is broken.

Zach
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-04-2019, 02:39 PM

Garage
My opinion, formed/based on comments from a couple guys I have ridden with, if it is any hassle at all to correct to the switch, just leave them on all the time. It will help you be seen. That was the likely motivation for the previous owner. Just a thought.
PLAGUE likes this.

James

18 K16GT Option 719 Blue Planet Metallic with matching BMW top-box, Bomber Brown RDL, Denali D7s, Ilium f&r bars with highway pegs
IBA # 63673
14 FJR-ES Candy Red (sold)
83 CB1100F Blue White & Red (in a garage);
83 CB1100F Red White & Black (in a shed);
76 CR125 Elsinore Red (sold);
73? CB125S Torquoise (sold)
post #3 of 11 Old 09-04-2019, 02:48 PM

Garage
I cant comment as to how the original owner has them wired.

However, to me it wouldnt be a big deal. The more lights you have on the front of the bike the better off you are. I turned on my fog lights over 4 years ago and havnt turned them off since. I also run Clearwater Ericas on mirror mounts.

If you dont have them, I would order the covers and amber lenses for the Darlas. It will protect them from rocks and other debris and broadcast a different colored light.
BMWGuy and PLAGUE like this.

Freedom is the miles I'm rollin' on!

2014 GTL
2016 S1000 XR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 09-04-2019, 02:55 PM

Garage
I installed these on my bike through the Clearwater Can Opener. That is how they operate when wired up correctly, default operation is 30% on low-beam, 100% on high. They were added for additional lighting and viability so my intent was to leave them on all the time regardless.

My bike also has the Erica's in the mirror mounts, they can toggle on/off by pressing down and holding the turn signal switch for a few seconds.
dhbrantley and PLAGUE like this.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-04-2019, 03:19 PM

Garage
Yep, I'm sure the original owner used either the canopener or hex ezcan power distributor and they operate based on the way they were programmed. If there's an ezcan under the seat, you can hook your computer up to it and see how they are setup and change it to your liking. i have mine setup for 10% during the day/night and 100% when my high beams are on. They also flash when the horn is activated.

A pint of sweat, saves a gallon of blood. George S. Patton
2014 K16GT
post #6 of 11 Old 09-04-2019, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I will take the seat off tonight and see what is under there. I did notice they flashed when the hazard lights were on.

I'm fine with them being on at all times, but I would like to make sure they are wired correctly and safely. I don't want additional load placed on the headlight circuit when there is a dedicated circuit on the bike for the fog lights.

Zach
post #7 of 11 Old 09-04-2019, 06:10 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxroundel View Post
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I will take the seat off tonight and see what is under there. I did notice they flashed when the hazard lights were on.

I'm fine with them being on at all times, but I would like to make sure they are wired correctly and safely. I don't want additional load placed on the headlight circuit when there is a dedicated circuit on the bike for the fog lights.

Zach
Generally, BMW circuits do not work well with different loads on them than what they were designed for.

If the lights are installed correctly, they're using the ezCAN or CANOpener that draws power directly from the battery but switched based on other sources. The ezCAN plugs into the bike's communication channel and responds based on observation of existing signals. I can't remember if the CANOpener does the same or taps directly into the high/low beam wires as triggers. The load presented is negligible as it merely controls a switch and doesn't actually provide power.

And welcome to the PDX K1600 club! Join the BMW Riders of Oregon club on our First Saturday Rides. We have some fun outings with a mix of bikes (almost all BMW's but others welcome). This Saturday's runs up to the coast in Washington for lunch and back. The lunch spots are always in small towns at mom & pop establishments.
post #8 of 11 Old 09-05-2019, 08:47 AM

Garage
This might help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clearwater settings.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	132064  
Chris H and 03Camjob like this.

2006 K1200LT sold
2019 K1600B GA
post #9 of 11 Old 09-05-2019, 10:58 AM

The original installer of the Clearwater lights probably used the CANOpener developed by Clearwater. It plugs into the CANBus to monitor stuff like the headlights, horn, brakes, wonder wheel, etc. I'm pretty sure all it does is monitor the CANBus protocol without putting anything on the bus. The only other connections to the bike's electrical system are a battery positive terminal connection (fused near the battery) that powers all the Clearwater lights and a negative ground.

See clearwaterlights.com fo all sorts of installation and operation manuals. Good stuff.

'18 GTL ebony metallic
added: Altrider engine bars, Ilium rear bars, Clearwater Darla and Billie brake lights
post #10 of 11 Old 09-05-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhetzel View Post
this might help
^^^^^^this^^^^^^

Chris H (formerly known here as Charlie Fogg)

2018 K1600 GTL
2014 K1600 GTL (Gone)
2015 R1200 RT (Gone)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in