Wiring Locations - Sena, Motochello, CAN4 - Page 2 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 Old 01-10-2020, 09:10 PM

Garage
What's the purpose of the Sena SM10? I understand it's an audio bridge, but what does it bring to the table for you? The Garmin is bluetooth, so it can connect directly to you helmet. The webite should it connected to a two-way radio, other GPS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 Old 01-10-2020, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyMutt View Post
What's the purpose of the Sena SM10? I understand it's an audio bridge, but what does it bring to the table for you? The Garmin is Bluetooth, so it can connect directly to your helmet. The website should it connected to a two-way radio, other GPS.
First, you are correct: the Garmin Bluetooth can directly connect to a helmet Bluetooth system. That said, I've read many postings on here regarding the music quality (rather, lack there-of) that ends up in the helmet when connecting directly to the K 1600 Bluetooth system. General consensus is tapping into the stereo wires and hooking in a Sena SM10 transmitter improves the quality of the sound. In this regard, it is duplicating something that is provided on the bike, but most feel there is an improvement in the sound quality. There is also an additional input into this transmitter that I will use for my radar detector audio output, so I should be able to get the radar detector alerts into my helmet while I am listening to music. Not everyone has the same issues when it comes to the various Bluetooth setups, but I have read enough that I am heading down that route.
ArmyMutt likes this.

Bernie

Former: 1981 Suzuki GS450, 1991 HD FXSTC, 1995 HD FLHTCU 30th Anniversary
post #13 of 16 Old 01-11-2020, 06:42 AM

Quote:
What's the purpose of the Sena SM10? I understand it's an audio bridge, but what does it bring to the table for you?
The SM10 allows two helmets to connect to it simultaneously which is handy if you have a pillion. Audio sharing to a pillion via a helmet is not always very successful.

Secondly, as mentioned by @XPLSV you can bring in another input such as a radar detector.

Lastly, you can control the volume of the audio via the whiz wheel.

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 Old 01-11-2020, 12:16 PM

Garage
Radar detector is my main reason for using one.

Sent using Tapatalk

"I know I was born, I know that I will die, the in between is mine" Pearl Jam
post #15 of 16 Old 01-12-2020, 11:51 AM

Garage
As noted there are a few times that my SM10 won't hook up to my helmet when I start the bike (my wife has her own music system so we don't double up on he SM10). When this happens I just turn off the bike and back on again. I don't lift the seat and fiddle with the SM10. I now get in the habit of not driving off until I hear that my helmet is paired with the SM10. It only takes a few extra seconds to verify this. When I'm riding with others I try and be the first one to start my bike after a stop, this gives me ample time to restart if necessary.

Sometimes I can ride for weeks and no issue then all of a sudden it doesn't pair up and then it's good again for long periods of time.

I also have an SR10 to run my bike to bike walkie talkie but that's another story best left for a different thread.

2016 Glacier Silver/matte blue vinyl wrap GTL
1975 Daytona Orange R90S
IBA#9293 BMWRA#41092 BMWMOA#185857
2004 Red Corvette
2005 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler
1950 Chevy Pickup

Last edited by Arizona Jim; 01-12-2020 at 11:54 AM.
post #16 of 16 Old 01-12-2020, 12:37 PM

Garage
I put a push bottom on/off switch inline on the power supply to the SM-10, this way I don't have to restart the bike. I can just restart the SM-10. Like you, I listen for the audible conformation before starting off.

"I know I was born, I know that I will die, the in between is mine" Pearl Jam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page