What size of speed bleeder screws? - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 03-08-2016, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

What size of speed bleeder screws?

Last night, I was watching a video on YouTube about basic maintenance procedures. The author of the video replaced the bleed screws on the brakes with Speed Bleeder screws.

I had not heard of these before, but what a great idea.

Does anyone know what size of Speed Bleeder screws the K1600 takes?

Are the front and rear brakes the same size?

I love this forum. It's chock full of good information from its members.

2012 K1600 GTL, Mineral Silver
2004 BMW R1150R (sold)
1994 BMW K1100RS (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 03-08-2016, 11:16 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to TCinWA
Bleeder screws

Randy b,
I have the bleeders for my GTL. I do not know the size off the top of my head but I will post them here later. I can take pictures of the package they came in as well.

TC
Be safe, ride fast...
post #3 of 30 Old 03-08-2016, 11:33 AM

I've had them on three different bikes including my 2015 RT1200. The odd thing is there is three different sizes you have to order.
On my 1600 I thought the front would be the same size.....wrong! I pulled a thread on one caliper. GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 03-08-2016, 12:54 PM

Garage
My brother Steve bought me a set of quick bleeder screws and I promptly stored then in a safe place in my shop. You guessed it, now I can't remember where. I'm sure they will pop up right after I could have used them.

2016 Glacier Silver/matte blue vinyl wrap GTL
1975 Daytona Orange R90S
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650
IBA#9293 BMWRA#41092 BMWMOA#185857
2004 Red Corvette
2005 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler
post #5 of 30 Old 08-03-2016, 11:09 PM

Garage
Was anyone able to find this info? I contacted the company about two weeks ago but never heard back from them and the website does not list the '16 year. My email just asked them if there were any changes from '15 to '16. for the k16's, '10-'15 SB8125L right,
SB7100S left, SB1010S rear
post #6 of 30 Old 10-02-2017, 09:50 AM

I saw this as never actually confirmed, so I guess I will for any future speed bleeders!

K1600 uses 3 different sizes in all...
Front Left (as sitting on bike): SB7100S (7mm 1.0P thread)
Front Right (as sitting on bike): SB8125L (8mm 1.25P thread)
Rear: SB1010S (10mm 1.0P thread)

>Purchase tip: I would add the $6 bag and tubing to your order. It makes for an easy clean flush. Speedbleeder.com

Use DOT-4 Brake Fluid. I hear some have switched over to the compatible 5.1 however for longer change intervals.

MOA# 194402 | Finger-Lakes BMW# 506 | Where TWO Next? Our YouTube Channel
BMW Rides: '14 K1600-GTS Sakhir Orange | '13 F800-GT
Graphite Metallic
Daily Grind: Go-Karts 'R' us | Power-Sports Forum

Last edited by Top_Speed1; 10-02-2017 at 09:52 AM.
post #7 of 30 Old 10-02-2017, 11:53 AM

I recently replaced the stock bleeders for these Speed Bleeders, and I am very happy with the upgrade. Cheap, easy install, and great results. Makes bleeding the brakes very simple and fast.

Check out:

'Chris on the Street' SpeedBleeder Install on a BMW GT. Chris has made a lot of good GT/GTL 'how-to' videos.

Enjoy!

Bill
Yukon_Cornelius likes this.
post #8 of 30 Old 10-02-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wschmitt55 View Post
I recently replaced the stock bleeders for these Speed Bleeders, and I am very happy with the upgrade. Cheap, easy install, and great results. Makes bleeding the brakes very simple and fast.

Check out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtwyzbTcq8E&t=675s

'Chris on the Street' SpeedBleeder Install on a BMW GT. Chris has made a lot of good GT/GTL 'how-to' videos.

Enjoy!

Bill
It is a pretty good video, little slow but to the point, and hey, at least he made one!

One thing that isn't shown or talked about is the "flush" method. (getting all the old fluid out and new in). He is just bleeding in this video. Just bleeding is pretty much child's play with these speed bleeders installed.

To FLUSH!: You will want to dispose of the old fluid in the reservoir(s). This can be done by 2 different methods with the speed bleeders.
A) Suck out the old fluid with a turkey baster. I'd suggest not using moma's good one. On the rear, you can simply unhook the canister and dump out the old fluid in your container/jar etc. Side Note; A red solo cup will not melt w brake fluid like it does with gasoline.
B) Pump all the old fluid through while replacing new in the reservoir(s). You will see the older dark turn clean in your exiter tube.

When adding new fluid into the reservoir(s), Pump slow and smooth (handle for the front, pedal for the rear) and watch the small bubbles rise up right into the reservoir. These micro bubbles need to come out. Keep adding fluid and slowly pumping until you notice 2 things; No more bubbles and clean fluid on the bottom end.

Use rags surrounding area's, brake fluid may not melt a red solo cup, but it will DO A NUMBER on your painted surfaces.

My Tip: To get the old fluid out of the piston region (within the caliper), use a plastic door wedge or shim wedging in between pad and rotor. There's also the redneck method... remove the caliper mounting screws, while holding the caliper over the rotor, slowly shift the caliper L&R. This "pushes" inward on the brake pads pushing the pistons in while pushing out the old fluid in that region.. BE very careful (and go gently) when doing this method as you could do harm your brake pads. You would have to twist the heck out of it to bend the rotor of course, but tread lightly, you will feel the piston slowly get pushed in and your pads will have play (space between) now on the rotor. You will have to keep an angled pressure on this to keep the pistons from coming back during the brake handle pump (with speed valve 1/4 open of course), but it's not much as the open valve will take most of the pressure pumps. If you do this, expect your brake lever action on first use to be dead ass limp. Don't be alarmed but you will have to test your brakes as always prior to real-time usage. Also, recheck fluid level after this first test (valve closed, ready to use). You may find it went down some because the fluid that went into the pistons, simply top off the reservoir, noting the "Full line" mark... DO NOT OVERFILL!

Most of my bike buddies skip the caliper piston draining portion. It's up to you on how precise and clean you want the flush to be.

MOA# 194402 | Finger-Lakes BMW# 506 | Where TWO Next? Our YouTube Channel
BMW Rides: '14 K1600-GTS Sakhir Orange | '13 F800-GT
Graphite Metallic
Daily Grind: Go-Karts 'R' us | Power-Sports Forum
post #9 of 30 Old 10-02-2017, 01:32 PM

Garage
Good job guys. With folks thinking about winterizing in a month or so this article is timely as moisture in the brake fluid is what will corrode the system. On a side note the clutch hydraulic system uses mineral oil instead of brake fluid. Mineral oil isn't hydroscopic so it doesn't attract moisture like brake fluid. I haven't seen a replace schedule for the clutch fluid but if you want to there is a threaded hole with a plug that can be removed and changed out to one of theses speed bleeders.

2016 Glacier Silver/matte blue vinyl wrap GTL
1975 Daytona Orange R90S
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650
IBA#9293 BMWRA#41092 BMWMOA#185857
2004 Red Corvette
2005 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler
post #10 of 30 Old 10-02-2017, 03:05 PM

Thank you All...Just ordered my set.

Steve

2005 FJR1300
2016 BMW K1600GTL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page