Front bearings replacement help - Page 9 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 86 Old 04-23-2018, 06:20 PM

@charlie3133 , I just checked an extra set I have in the tool cabinet, the ones you ordered are correct.

Duane
charlie3133 likes this.

Duane: '12 K1600GT/WL EngineBars//Wilbers/VarioLevers/ cbdaneAmber /BajaDesigns LED/PDM60/Remus Headers/GPR Exhaust/BST Carbon Fiber Wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 86 Old 04-23-2018, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie3133 View Post
I just ordered them from Amazon.
It was not until after I clicked buy that I noticed the description said rear. But it was the right part number, so hope I got the right ones

25-173

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I was the one who answered your Amazon question....

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #83 of 86 Old 04-24-2018, 12:15 AM

I took my wheel to my dealer, removal and installation $25. Called ahead and they had them done in an hour.

Living near the Gateway City, fight'n fires and and have'n fun.

1999 K1200LT 3rd owner- good bike now gone.
2012 K1600GT- fantastic bike!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #84 of 86 Old 04-24-2018, 10:22 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnert View Post
@charlie3133 , I just checked an extra set I have in the tool cabinet, the ones you ordered are correct.

Duane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc11 View Post
I was the one who answered your Amazon question....

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Thank you both.

2013 Graphite GTL
PDM60
Amber Running Lights
Schroedie roundels
post #85 of 86 Old 04-15-2019, 10:08 AM

I was doing a tire change for a friend who had about 19,000 miles on his K1600GT and discovered rust outside of the left side seal for the front wheel bearing and upon further review could feel the bearing binding a bit. I followed the instructions Arizona Jim outlined here: https://www.k1600forum.com/forum/1997338-post9.html, including the tools like the Motion Pro 25mm bearing puller. With Jim's instructions the process was pretty straightforward.

No pressure washing, just happened.

A couple of things I'd add are:

• A few of the things I read about how hot was hot enough indicated we want the hub to reach about 140F.
  • It probably goes without saying that you don't want the heat source to be so close to the hub that you damage the paint or too far away to take forever to heat the hub. Maybe about 3" between the heat source and the hub?
  • Not everybody will have a turntable available to them but if you do have a turntable it makes the heating of the hub much easier. Because it is not difficult to heat the hub without rotating the wheel on the turntable I'm not sure I'd run out and buy a turntable only for this purpose but because I had one I gave it a shot and it worked well. When I heated the first side without a turntable it took about 8 minutes to get it up to 140F and heat readings ranged from about 115F to 145F depending on where I took the reading. When doing the second side and starting at the same hub temperature I used a turntable to spin the wheel when heating it when I removed the second bearing. This only took about 3 minutes and the temperature readings were much more consistent all around the hub.
  • This method also made it easier to relatively uniformly heat the hub for the bearing install.
Again, I would not rush out to buy one if you don't have one available and I suspect few of us have one available but for about $25 you can get one from places like Amazon which are intended to help decorate cakes but will work well for something like this.

The turntable I'm talking about is not the one DJ's use but one you would see in a shop like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Industrial Turntable.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	126646   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cake Turntable.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	126648  
post #86 of 86 Old 04-15-2019, 11:53 AM

When installing a new set of sealed bearings I pop the seal and add a bit more high temp grease, then reinstall the seal. You'd be surprised how little grease is inside a sealed bearing. If you go this route don't go overboard and pack the whole bearing, add about as much grease that would equal the size of 2 pencil erasers.

Duane
Prince likes this.

Duane: '12 K1600GT/WL EngineBars//Wilbers/VarioLevers/ cbdaneAmber /BajaDesigns LED/PDM60/Remus Headers/GPR Exhaust/BST Carbon Fiber Wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page