Anyone put in new pistons yourself? - Page 2 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 Old 11-10-2018, 07:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue42 View Post
If you read the post you will see that I said these words "I would like to know that if it did happen I could buy and install new pistons myself." I don't know where the idea would have come from that I intended to tear the engine down when it had nothing wrong with it. What I wanted to know was whether I could fix it if it happened.

Another open question that I have never seen answered is what year bike got the new part number pistons. General thinking is that the 2014 didn't have any problems with this. Some 2013's did.
Regardless of what you actually said.. doesn't change the fact that your wanting to buy an older bike with the potential risk. You've researched it for hours (according to your other thread) found replacement parts, and thought it out far enough to be willing to do the repairs yourself if something were to happen. Bottom line is this, your still willing to throw an extra 2k into an older bike if you have a problem when a newer one won't have the same issue. So we've come full circle back to the fact if you add that 2k to your budget you can get a newer bike and not have to worry about a potential problem.

Yes, seems it was worked out by the 14 model year. So my advise would be to pass on the 12 and buy a 14 or newer model.
BMWGuy, 1dragon and Blue42 like this.

Freedom is the miles I'm rollin' on!

2014 GTL
2016 S1000 XR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 Old 11-10-2018, 07:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
The pistons are also softer aluminum, so they might not scratch the harder coating on the walls. I'm behind the times I guess, because it surprises me that you wouldn't have to sleeve a soft aluminum block. I know that Porsche has been doing it for a while and they had problems with their older coatings.
Porsche has used Nikasil since the 1970's.

BMW has used it since the early 1980's. My 1985 K100 has Nikasil.

Paul
1984 Honda V65 Magna
1985 BMW K100RT
2011 BMW K1600GTL - gone
2018 BMW K1600GTL
post #13 of 19 Old 11-11-2018, 03:06 AM

Garage
Quote:
If you read the post you will see that I said these words "I would like to know that if it did happen I could buy and install new pistons myself." I don't know where the idea would have come from that I intended to tear the engine down when it had nothing wrong with it. What I wanted to know was whether I could fix it if it happened.

Another open question that I have never seen answered is what year bike got the new part number pistons. General thinking is that the 2014 didn't have any problems with this. Some 2013's did.

Thanks for the information about the block. From the posts where riders on here had the issue it seems like the cylinders usually do okay even with the ring lands cracking. The pistons are also softer aluminum, so they might not scratch the harder coating on the walls. I'm behind the times I guess, because it surprises me that you wouldn't have to sleeve a soft aluminum block. I know that Porsche has been doing it for a while and they had problems with their older coatings.

Modern designs don't have a sleeved aluminum cylinder block anymore. If the piston does not damage the bore, the rings certainly will.

It appears that you are overthinking something that you don't know enough about to come to a solution. A short block including all additional parts is probably North of $4000 which added to the 2012 purchasing price likely buys you a 2015. For me it would be an easy decision.

2018 BMW K1600 GT
2018 BMW K1600 GTL (sold)

2014 BMW K1600 GTL (sold)
2005-2014 5 HD ElectraGlides (sold)
2003 HD Softail (sold)
1973-1982 various jalopies (gone)

'You know that the world is going to hll if they have to print instructions on a bag of toothpicks'
After Douglas Adams RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 Old 11-11-2018, 06:07 AM

@ViennaK , your pricing is off a bit. When I replaced my '12 motor last year I looked at the short block option, $9,000.

Duane

Duane: '12 K1600GT/WL EngineBars//Wilbers/VarioLevers/ cbdaneAmber /BajaDesigns LED/PDM60/Remus Headers/GPR Exhaust/BST Carbon Fiber Wheels
post #15 of 19 Old 11-11-2018, 06:44 AM
Quote:

Thanks for the information about the block. From the posts where riders on here had the issue it seems like the cylinders usually do okay even with the ring lands cracking. The pistons are also softer aluminum, so they might not scratch the harder coating on the walls. I'm behind the times I guess, because it surprises me that you wouldn't have to sleeve a soft aluminum block. I know that Porsche has been doing it for a while and they had problems with their older coatings.
The pistons should not be wearing the cylinder wall at all. Softer pistons should not be a requirement; but a piston that is more resistant to breaking may be. Only the rings should be touching the cylinder, and I assure you they are harder than any piston. The piston sleeve, if it has one, should not be touching the cylinder wall due to the layer of oil provided to protect them; unless run low on oil, improper oil, or overheating occurs, etc.

EDIT:
I probably shouldn't mention this, since the K engines probably don't have this problem, but BMW cars have been known for "butter blocks", which can strip out head bolt holes during driving, and sometimes cylinders becoming egg shaped. Butter blocks may be rare, but do exist and from what I've been told, can not usually be repaired. The aluminum is just too soft to hold a thread insert and cylinders can not be repaired. Also, some engines were porous and had oil leaks that could not be repaired; often mistaken for valve cover leaks, etc. Let's hope the K engines don't ever have this problem, but who knows.

Darryl - Thanks for all you do!
RETIRED!
14BMWK1600GTL DGM
16BMWS1000XR Red
07HD FLHTCU Champion Trike
81CB750Bentforks$500
81 CB900 10speed 100HPOriginal $2.5K
81 CBX Orig 3Kmi 105HP $8K
81 CBX Frankenstein Trike $12K
1955 1st Chevy 3100 Pickup $30K
05 BMW X5
1990 Chevy 4x4
2001 Chevy Silverado 4x4
Coffintrailer $1K

Last edited by Harleymarlboroman; 11-11-2018 at 06:50 AM.
post #16 of 19 Old 11-11-2018, 06:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnert View Post
@ViennaK , your pricing is off a bit. When I replaced my '12 motor last year I looked at the short block option, $9,000.

Duane
@Gunnert Maybe we have a different definition of short block. If you include crank, pistons etc it is close to your number. How do you call just the cylinder block with no other components? Not a native speaker, so sometimes I don't get the terminology right.

2018 BMW K1600 GT
2018 BMW K1600 GTL (sold)

2014 BMW K1600 GTL (sold)
2005-2014 5 HD ElectraGlides (sold)
2003 HD Softail (sold)
1973-1982 various jalopies (gone)

'You know that the world is going to hll if they have to print instructions on a bag of toothpicks'
After Douglas Adams RIP
post #17 of 19 Old 11-11-2018, 07:12 AM

Over here a "short block" includes pretty much everything below and excluding the head. A block without pistons is a bare block.

Duane
Harleymarlboroman likes this.

Duane: '12 K1600GT/WL EngineBars//Wilbers/VarioLevers/ cbdaneAmber /BajaDesigns LED/PDM60/Remus Headers/GPR Exhaust/BST Carbon Fiber Wheels

Last edited by Gunnert; 11-11-2018 at 07:15 AM.
post #18 of 19 Old 11-11-2018, 11:41 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViennaK View Post
It appears that you are overthinking something that you don't know enough about to come to a solution.
It appears to me EVERYONE ELSE is overthinking their answers to a relatively simple question:

Anyone put in new pistons themselves? Simple answer seems to be no.

Tom
ViennaK likes this.
post #19 of 19 Old 11-11-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPadden View Post
It appears to me EVERYONE ELSE is overthinking their answers to a relatively simple question:

Anyone put in new pistons themselves? Simple answer seems to be no.

Tom
Just a guess but I bet that even your average BMW dealer mechanic might have to call in some help on a piston change for the K1600.
Prince and BMWGuy like this.

Current Bike: '18 K1600B

Most recent former bikes:
'14 R1200RT
'13 F800GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page