This may sound OT , but it's not - Page 3 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 44 Old 06-08-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route66in18 View Post
Possibly, but I think my system is also all but fool-proof with the added benefit that, as I said, I can change the oil and the dealer can too without any special instruction. In all honesty, I didn't find the 5mm plug as hard to deal with as some posters have suggested. I guess that taking the time to find out that its a 5mm hex and not a torx and that you have to be a little careful not to cross-thread or strip it is not something that everyone has done. Don't get me wrong, I think the RL plug is a fine idea, but I prefer my solution for the reason stated. Different strokes for different folks.
One slip and a plug dropped into the lower sump will change your mind.

I got the RL plug in advance of the 600 mile service which I did myself. The inner plug was really tight, I assume from the factory. I was afraid I was going to strip it, but it came out. Still, I like the feel of having a spring ball lock 1/4" drive on the plug instead of the 5mm hex key.

I took my GTL in at 600 miles to have the dealership hook up to the computer to read any faults and reset the service. I mentioned to them that I put on the RL plug. They said they see them, but don't use it themselves as they put in a new inner plug every oil change. They say they do that because the threads on the inner plug tend to gall. I don't think that is very likely though, as there is always plenty of oil around to lubricate the threads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 44 Old 06-08-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenV View Post
Ha! Yah... Yer right. Musta been something else I wa thinking of... Probably the oil drain plug. I've done a lot of screw twisting the last couple weeks and it all kinda blends together at this point.
Easy to do, weve all been there

But at this point you might want to double check your torque settings ... just in case, and dab some color somewhere as I reminder to yourself
post #23 of 44 Old 06-08-2019, 04:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by justcharlie View Post
One slip and a plug dropped into the lower sump will change your mind.
No problem as the inner plug is magnetic so a small diameter pencil magnet will easily fish it out. There are 4 upright fingers cast into the oil pan that will trap it near the drain hole. Trust me I had to do it several times before I bought RL's Super Plug.
Gunnert and justcharlie like this.

2016 Glacier Silver/matte blue vinyl wrap GTL
1975 Daytona Orange R90S
IBA#9293 BMWRA#41092 BMWMOA#185857
2004 Red Corvette
2005 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler
1950 Chevy Pickup
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 44 Old 06-08-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Jim View Post
No problem as the inner plug is magnetic so a small diameter pencil magnet will easily fish it out. There are 4 upright fingers cast into the oil pan that will trap it near the drain hole. Trust me I had to do it several times before I bought RL's Super Plug.
I didn't have to fish one out and I have one of RL's plugs now, but the info in your post might well save somebody's day.
post #25 of 44 Old 06-08-2019, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCMO Steve View Post
Uh.....the pinch bolt on my front axle is a T45. Somebody do a switcheroo on ya?
Had me worried for a minute

Steve
2020 KTM Super Adventure S
2015 K1600GT
2012 K1600GT (traded)
post #26 of 44 Old 06-08-2019, 09:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muchmore View Post
Darryl, Darryl, Darryl.....I'm thinking with some creative head painting on that noggin' we could make you the ball end of an allen wrench!

No.
It is Darryl, Darryl, and Larry.
Go back and watch the reruns.
Best.
Meese and Muchmore like this.

Darryl - Thanks for all you do!
RETIRED!
14BMWK1600GTL DGM
16BMWS1000XR Red
07HD FLHTCU Champion Trike
81CB750Bentforks$500
81 CB900 10speed 100HPOriginal $2.5K
81 CBX Orig 3Kmi 105HP $8K
81 CBX Frankenstein Trike $12K
1955 1st Chevy 3100 Pickup $30K
05 BMW X5
1990 Chevy 4x4
2001 Chevy Silverado 4x4
Coffintrailer $1K
post #27 of 44 Old 06-08-2019, 11:42 PM

Newhart was rich
post #28 of 44 Old 06-09-2019, 10:34 AM

Garage
It can happen to anyone. Only my dealership has serviced my bike an they rounded out the plug at 12000 mile interval. They obviously absorbed the labor and I got a new 750GS as a loaner over the weekend. Its a design flaw BMW could rectify with a revised oil plug.
Harleymarlboroman likes this.
post #29 of 44 Old 06-09-2019, 11:05 AM

I don't know if I would call it a design flaw as long as people doing the oil change remember things like proper tools and torque settings. I just changed the oil on my bike and the last time it was done by my dealer at which time I had them install the RL Super Plug. I don't know what the torque was on the upper RL Plug, but it was really tight when I went to loosen it. So much so that I had to get a longer handled T-bar on it to get it loose. Had that been the OEM plug in there it most certainly would have stripped out. I am never surprised anymore how simple things like this can get so screwed up by a so-called "trained" dealer tech. Another great reason to do your own oil fluid changes whenever possible. Yes it's a little bit of a hassle and takes some time to accomplish, but when it's done you will know it's done right.

Rick H.
Harleymarlboroman likes this.
post #30 of 44 Old 06-09-2019, 12:18 PM

Garage
Why do people make things harder than they actually are?

I've done 6 complete oil changes using the same tools I've had for years. The only thing I did do was to take that long 1/4 inch driven 5mm allen wrench to a belt sander and squared off the end so it had good sharp biting edges instead of the slightly rounded edge is came with. The torque specs are 106 in/lbs for the 5 mm, 20 ft/lbs for the pan plug and 97 in/lbs for the filter. My pet peeve about how the bike was assembled is why the **** did they bury the rear end fill plug on the right side behind the rotor, when they had ample room anywhere on the left side to place a fill plug.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page