BMW K1600 Forum banner

Screen bolts pitch question.

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  bagman 
#1 ·
Does the 80 in M5X16-A2-80 refer to a 0.8 pitch?
Managed to cross thread one of the screen bolts recently. Was thinking about running a tap down it but wasn't sure if its .8 or .5.

#4 ·
#5 ·
Permit me to clarify. The M5 pitch is indeed 0.8 mm but the pitch is not derived from the 80.

The A2-80 is the material grade. In this case A2 = 304 stainless steel and the 80 is the tensile strength. In this case 80 = 800 N/mm^2

The convention for metric pitch is that if not stated in the description the pitch is coarse. If it's a fine thread, the pitch is stated immediately after the size. eg: M5 x 0.5 and before the grade.

But be careful, some suppliers state the pitch in both cases just to be 'clear' so don't assume that if the pitch is stated that it must be fine. But it's always true that if not stated it's coarse.

(And for those used to the imperial system, metric pitch is thread crest to crest in mm, not per some linear distance).

Cheers,

Derek

#6 ·
Thanks guy's. You'll be pleased to know that running a tap down the thread solved my problem. I don't know if some grit had got into the thread, but the tap went in with minimal force. I did recover some swarf out of the hole, and then flushed it out with lots of WD40. Strange thing is I could not see any damage to the bolt thread, which further makes me think dirt/grit may have been the problem. The screen has been on and off a few times recently.
@HOGSLYR. Yea. Cast aluminium I'm guessing, Like the thing inside the mirror stalk. "Monkey metal", my dad used to call it.

#7 · (Edited)
Been there. I thought the factory must have used some kind of threadlock, but I noticed a lot of contaminants in the threads like minerals picked up in the rain and what not on the road. I have a thread chaser set that has paid for itself 10x over. Only bolt that was ever stripped out was a fog light screw that was hosed up upon assembly.
The hardware is pricey at the dealer, I have found guys selling bags of mixed hardware here and there and have found about $80 worth of nuts/bolts/clamps for $15-$20. Then there is Belmetric.com that has OEM hardware for cheaper pricing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.