World's Best Conspicuity Lights - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 09-08-2019, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

World's Best Conspicuity Lights

CATZ XLOs. Since a riding buddy of mine turned me on to these about ten years ago I've been running these on most of my old Ks and I've never seen any aux light that stands out in traffic near as well as these do. They're 70 watts each with a 90 degree wide beam pattern and an "acid orange" color that is very distinctive. Despite how bright and conspicuous they are I've never been flashed by any other road users at night nor hassled by LEOs.

And no special mounting bracket is required - just an M6x90 stainless steel bolt with a 2" stainless steel spacer and some internal lock washers. Since I have them fork mounted they make a nice triangle with the headlight which makes it easier for oncoming traffic to judge my distance and speed. Using the ezCAN II I have them set up to go off on each side when the turn signals are in use.

Not only do they stand out really well for coming traffic but are also hard to ignore in rear view mirrors so they do a good job of getting LLOC members out of the way and help when lane splitting in California. (LLOC = Left Lane Owners Club) I don't usually ride in fog at night but the few times I have these also do really well as fog lights.

PLAGUE likes this.

Loud pipes save egos.
2014 K1600GT Sport
IBA 17739
Also own: 5 K75s, a K100, a K1 & 2 K1100s, WR250R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-08-2019, 09:16 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quack View Post
CATZ XLOs. Since a riding buddy of mine turned me on to these about ten years ago I've been running these on most of my old Ks and I've never seen any aux light that stands out in traffic near as well as these do.

You've obviously never seen a set of Clearwater Lights, Denali's or a couple others who use LED technology.

The LED lighting world has left those halogen bulbs in the dust. Of course the LED's are much more expensive but you truely do get what you pay for.

A comparable Clearwater to those would be the Darla mounted on the forks. I believe my Ericas which are mounted on the mirrors are 6000 lumens each. They throw light way, way down the road.
Hallzee, Gunnert, garyculb and 4 others like this.

Freedom is the miles I'm rollin' on!

2014 GTL
2016 S1000 XR

Last edited by Darbinco; 09-08-2019 at 09:24 AM.
post #3 of 11 Old 09-08-2019, 09:53 AM

Garage
Conspicuity lights? People get hit by trains. There's not much more conspicuous than a train.

-Stephen! (The rider formerly known as smv)
--
There is NO need to tailgate me when I am doing 50 in a 35 zone... and those flashing lights on top of your car look ridiculous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 09-08-2019, 10:03 AM

Garage
hahahahahaahah @StephenV

There is thy gold, worse poison to men's souls,
Doing more murders in this loathsome world,
Than these poor compounds that thou mayst not sell.
I sell thee poison; thou hast sold me none.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-08-2019, 10:05 AM

Garage
How does the bike do with a ten amp draw

R80/7RT / K75RT / R1200RT / K1600 GTL - in the U.K.
Also Rans ( Honda C90 & CD175 & CX500 & ST1100, Suzuki GT250 (J) & X7, Puch Maxi), Coveted Honda CBX, Yamaha Martini XS 1300 & FS1E, Kawasaki Z900, Z1000 & Z650, Quasar, Suzuki GT750
post #6 of 11 Old 09-08-2019, 10:11 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenV View Post
Conspicuity lights? People get hit by trains. There's not much more conspicuous than a train.

That is a fact. I'll never look at a train the same again.

2014 GTL
2016 S1000 XR
post #7 of 11 Old 09-08-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenV View Post

Wildlife and free-roaming livestock don't care about conspicuity lights, either.
Darbinco and PLAGUE like this.

2018 K1600 GT Mars Red Metallic
► There exists a group of people who believe that 2 > 4.
► "I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol." — Steven Wright
► No government, constitution or law gives you any rights... breathing does.
post #8 of 11 Old 09-08-2019, 11:52 AM

Garage
I run Clearwater Darlas on the front forks with the Standard fogs on. Yellow covers on the Darla during the day - I can even see them hitting the signs in full sun - HIGHLY visible. I believe they are worth every cent, then some, both day and night. And if I see a situation I don't like, I might hold down on highbeam toggle (that hits the K's normal high beam and also shoots 100% juice to the Darlas) just to potentially help the motorist at the intersection that might give me pause. Now that I ride again, I'm careful not to even let my vehicles wheels even roll a bit when a cycle is approaching my area where I'm about to pull out - knowing he/she is possibly and alertly watching them. If a significant percentage of serious MC injuries involve a car not seeing them, then I feel I've reduced that percentage with the extra lights. Percentages count folks - to whether you come home. And at night in rural (even not-so-rural Georgia), the Darla's beam give me that really strong extra reach for deer. Can't say enough. #1 farkle.

2018 K1600B GA
post #9 of 11 Old 09-08-2019, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darbinco View Post
You've obviously never seen a set of Clearwater Lights, Denali's or a couple others who use LED technology.

The LED lighting world has left those halogen bulbs in the dust. Of course the LED's are much more expensive but you truely do get what you pay for.

A comparable Clearwater to those would be the Darla mounted on the forks. I believe my Ericas which are mounted on the mirrors are 6000 lumens each. They throw light way, way down the road.
I've seen tons of Clearwater lights. These are better. If I thought Clearwaters were better then I'd install them. If you saw these in person you'd be impressed.

(I'd actually prefer LEDs since they draw less power.)

Loud pipes save egos.
2014 K1600GT Sport
IBA 17739
Also own: 5 K75s, a K100, a K1 & 2 K1100s, WR250R
post #10 of 11 Old 09-08-2019, 07:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quack View Post
I've seen tons of Clearwater lights. These are better. If I thought Clearwaters were better then I'd install them. If you saw these in person you'd be impressed.

(I'd actually prefer LEDs since they draw less power.)

You might be able to sell that to someone else, but I aint buying.

Halogen lamps are yesteryear.. **** even Harley is getting away from them

2014 GTL
2016 S1000 XR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page