Left hand grip r&r - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By racer1735

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 09-16-2019, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Left hand grip r&r

I am replacing the left side heated grip on my Ď12 K1600GT (with OEM parts). I have removed the set screw that runs thru the tube and holds it in place, but the tube is still hold
I got tight which leads me to believe itís attached to the multi-controller? I also canít figure out how to access the plug for the heater? It appears to go thru the wonder wheel, but not certain. Also not sure how much (if any) of the left cluster needs disassembled or removed (and what surprises lay within)? A pictorial would be great, but anyone that can offer a steo-by-step would be appreciated! I donít want to remove anything more than necessary, but I want to do it right.

2012 BMW K1600GT - Akropovic exhaust, Aeroflow screen, Ilium crash bars and highway pegs, Lamin-x headlamp protector
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-17-2019, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
FYI - I found the solution to my question. Just had to take a cup of coffee out to the garage and figure out that I needed to remove a few body panels on the tank to get enough slack that the cluster would come off. Once off, it was fairly obvious (nothing is VERY obvious) as to how things come apart. Will put it all back together this evening.
Brian_Kirner likes this.

2012 BMW K1600GT - Akropovic exhaust, Aeroflow screen, Ilium crash bars and highway pegs, Lamin-x headlamp protector
post #3 of 6 Old 09-17-2019, 07:33 PM

Garage
Pictures?

Dave

"14 K1600 GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 09-18-2019, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Sorry, none taken (had my hands full). To top it off, I got things pretty much back together on the left bar, turned on the ignition to double-check that all switches worked, then removed the cluster/grip to re-install the lower wiring cover. Realized I had an interference with the heater plug (extending too far out of the housing). I took things back apart, only to discover that the negative ('-') wire from the heater plug had pulled free from the wire-encased grip (and its deep enough inside that soldering isn't an option. Crap!! I reordered a grip this morning, but it will be five days or so before I get it. Live and learn.

post #5 of 6 Old 09-19-2019, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer1735 View Post
Sorry, none taken (had my hands full). To top it off, I got things pretty much back together on the left bar, turned on the ignition to double-check that all switches worked, then removed the cluster/grip to re-install the lower wiring cover. Realized I had an interference with the heater plug (extending too far out of the housing). I took things back apart, only to discover that the negative ('-') wire from the heater plug had pulled free from the wire-encased grip (and its deep enough inside that soldering isn't an option. Crap!! I reordered a grip this morning, but it will be five days or so before I get it. Live and learn.
Question for you... Is it possible to just carefully cut the rubber off the grip and replace with any rubber grip? My current KTM has factory heated grips that I was able to do that with. Under the rubber was a wire wrapped around a plastic sleeve. I was able to put electrical tape over this wrapped wire then apply whatever grip suits my fancy. It's definitely not a factory-pretty look when complete but I tend to go through grips fairly quickly. (I don't own a k16 yet so that's why I ask)
post #6 of 6 Old 09-19-2019, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Question for you... Is it possible to just carefully cut the rubber off the grip and replace with any rubber grip? My current KTM has factory heated grips that I was able to do that with. Under the rubber was a wire wrapped around a plastic sleeve. I was able to put electrical tape over this wrapped wire then apply whatever grip suits my fancy. It's definitely not a factory-pretty look when complete but I tend to go through grips fairly quickly. (I don't own a k16 yet so that's why I ask.

Possibly, but you run the risk of cutting the heating wires. BMW wrap the composite tube of the grip with a weave of thin wire which provides the heat. They are supposed to be embedded slightly in grooves on the tube. However, they don't exactly stay in the grooves well. That's how I realized my previous grip heaters were trashed. Bought my bike used and they came with the 'old style' ribbed grips. I love them. But also fear that the installation of those grips (esp on the LH side) is what caused my heated grip issue.

I've been reading a lot of positive about Grip Puppies. They are neoprene grips that wrap around your current grips. I'm leaning towards them. At under $20 a pair, its worth a shot.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page