Cold start stalls - Page 2 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 34 Old 11-02-2019, 12:47 PM

cold starts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooddog View Post
Jim,
A group of us were recently riding around Alpine, AZ and most all of us noted cold start burps on the chilly mornings.
Everyone fired up after a couple of sputters, but as @bbolesaz (Brian) noted, it looked like BMW did not put a cold start algorithm into the ECU.
For us, it was not a major hassle, just required a couple of extra attempts. Everything ran fine in just a few moments after a short idle.

Interesting - just returned from 11 days in AZ/NM. 3rd night out was Flagstaff. 25deg F in the morning and my '16 GT did a similar start as gooddog describes. Several GSs and an RT were in attendance and some of those reported similar unusual starts.

Other mornings with temps in 30s didn't seem to produce the problems.

-pp - www.ppldma.com '16 K1600 GT 58k mi; '16 S1000 XR 9000 mi
'07 R1200 RT 160k mi - $old;
'00 R1150 GS 175k mi - $old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 34 Old 11-02-2019, 02:47 PM

I had similar starting issues with the initial tank of gas in my brand new GTL. Low 50ís and the engine did not want to catch. When I put my first purchased tank of gas into it, I made sure it was good gas and added some Techron at the fill up. Problem seems to be gone. Maybe the Techron helped, maybe it was just a full tank of fresh gas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bernie

Former: 1981 Suzuki GS450, 1991 HD FXSTC, 1995 HD FLHTCU 30th Anniversary
post #13 of 34 Old 11-02-2019, 03:58 PM

Garage
I was one of the guys with Gooddog in Alpine. The first cold morning mine started OK but the second morning, which left frost on my seat, it did what you state. Turned over and sputtered for a second or two a few times and then finally started. I wouldn't start worrying about things being "wrong" as long as it does start after several of those sputter events. My bike has a 3 1/2 year old battery which might be the common link. Don't loose any sleep over it.
Ranger1 and BMWGuy like this.

2016 Glacier Silver/matte blue vinyl wrap GTL
1975 Daytona Orange R90S
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650
IBA#9293 BMWRA#41092 BMWMOA#185857
2004 Red Corvette
2005 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 34 Old 11-03-2019, 04:54 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealWing View Post
My 2015 GTL (only 16000 Km) has recently been hard to start when cold. It will fire for about 1 sec and stall. Start again and runs for 1 sec and stalls. Takes about 4-5 start attempts to finally run.
Had it in for annual service last week and they said I needed a new battery ($200 CAD!!) and that they did a flash upgrade on my onboard controllers.
Tried to start after I got home when it had cooled overnight - same thing.
I checked the fuel pressure with my GS-911 and it looks OK (about 4700 mbar (68 psi) before start and about 4500 mbar (65 psi) running
It seems to me that there is insufficient cold start fuel enrichment????

Anyone else experienced this problem???
I don't want to take it back to the dealer (and just have them replace more parts) unless I have a clue as to what might be wrong

Thx
Jim

PS I've attached all the software/firmware changes that were made when they did this upgrade from the mother ship - for info. Quite a few changes!!!
I had identical symptoms to those you described here. I quickly came to realize the injectors were leaking down into the cylinders when the bike had sat even just over night. Next time you start the bike open the throttle right away. I found if I started the bike with a wide open throttle it instantly fired up. I solved this issue with a max does of Techron, and burned through an entire tank on highway ride, that was it, problem solved never happened again.
bikerj likes this.

Iron Butt Association Member#49820
MOA Member #106320
2013 K1600GT Dark Graphite
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite(sold)
post #15 of 34 Old 11-03-2019, 05:52 PM

My 2012 does the same on cold days on occasion. It seems to fire up easier when I leave my thumb on the starter button an extra split second. In my case, I am overdue for a tuneup and new plugs which certainly doesn't help things in my case (65,000 mi.).

2012 K1600GTL Silver 65kmi. & counting
'89 R100RT 65k mi. (sold)
'85 TREK 720 10k mi. (still riding)
'79 CB750K w/Windjammer 35k mi. (not forgotten)
post #16 of 34 Old 11-06-2019, 12:47 PM

Hi, I was on the Alpine AZ trip and I took a video of my bike starting.

I left it at Ride Now Euro service. They have been discussing the issue with someone from the mothership, but have not come to a conclusion yet.

One thing that we have been looking at is this -
The manual says - "When starting a cold engine at low ambient temperatures: disengage the clutch and turn the twistgrip slightly to open the throttle"

The question is - what does "disengage the clutch" mean. I usually start in neutral and don't touch the clutch lever. I'm wondering if a cold start needs to have the clutch lever pulled in while starting.
Unfortunately, living in the Valley of the Sunstroke (Phoenix area), there's not much opportunity to test cold starting.
If someone on this thread has a chance to test cold starting with and without the clutch pulled, I would appreciate it.
gooddog likes this.
post #17 of 34 Old 11-07-2019, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbolesaz View Post
Hi, I was on the Alpine AZ trip and I took a video of my bike starting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyeGX8Ye2VY

I left it at Ride Now Euro service. They have been discussing the issue with someone from the mothership, but have not come to a conclusion yet.

One thing that we have been looking at is this -
The manual says - "When starting a cold engine at low ambient temperatures: disengage the clutch and turn the twistgrip slightly to open the throttle"

The question is - what does "disengage the clutch" mean. I usually start in neutral and don't touch the clutch lever. I'm wondering if a cold start needs to have the clutch lever pulled in while starting.
Unfortunately, living in the Valley of the Sunstroke (Phoenix area), there's not much opportunity to test cold starting.
If someone on this thread has a chance to test cold starting with and without the clutch pulled, I would appreciate it.
This is exactly what my bike is doing. takes about 5 start attempts before it finally runs. I've reset the adaptations (learning settings), throttle body and twist grip settings with the GS-911 as suggested by Mole999. Probably tomorrow I'll try a cold start as it is right around the freezing mark now (and snowing!!). If it doesn't start on first attempt, I'll try pulling the clutch lever in. (doing that will take some load off the starter because some of the tranny gears would not be rotating)
Jim

2015 K1600GTL , Magnesium beige, Nav V
1970 Plymouth Superbird 440-6bbl
1969 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible (6.1 L Hemi transplant)
1969 Plymouth Barracuda Fastback 340, Formula S
post #18 of 34 Old 11-08-2019, 12:30 AM

I store my "16" in my storage shed behind my shop during the winter months and I will periodically go and start it just to run it a little bit and it does exactly the same thing but eventually starts and runs just fine, the one thing I have had happen though is the ignition button when it's really cold and by cold I mean 20* or less will stick either on or off and won't reset until I warm things up in the shed or take it into my heated shop and let it warm up in fact last winter when it stuck on and wouldn't shut the ignition off, I didn't have time to mess with it so I just unhooked the battery and left it until we had warm spell and it started working again. At the time I was worried that I screwed something up but come spring it worked fine.

1979 KZ1000 E (gone) 1980 XS1100 Midnight Special (gone) BAD MOVE
1997 R1100RT (gone)
2002 R1150RT (gone)2002 R1150RT (gone)
2015 R1200RTW (gone) Fantastic but too camped
2016 GTL EXCL Dark Storm Metallic(Sweetest of them all)
2004 KTM 450 EXC Kawasaki Terex 750
post #19 of 34 Old 11-09-2019, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Tried to start after doing all the resets. Temp was 1.5 C. Would not start on 1st attempt. 2nd try was with clutch pulled in and throttle open a bit. Would not even fire. Then tried with clutch pulled and throttle at rest, no start. Tried about 5 more times with clutch pulled before it would run.
Sure seems like insufficient cold start enrichment.

Now the really bad news. The roads were dry today, so I took the bike to my sons place about 20 km away for winter storage. Everything was fine until a small hill just before his place where some snow had drifted across the road. Stupid me thought I could ride through it - WRONG. down I went. Felt like I twisted my ankle, but otherwise ok. A person stopped to help and we got the bike up and pushed onto bare pavement. Road the bike a few hundred yards to the garage and we pushed it on his snow covered driveway into the garage. Went to hospital next. Broken fibula and cracked rib!! Pretty sure the bike fell on my ankle as I went down. Now have an air cast until I se the orthopaedic surgeon next week.
A really really stupid 75 year old geezer who should have taken a moment to consider the potential safety risks!
Jim

2015 K1600GTL , Magnesium beige, Nav V
1970 Plymouth Superbird 440-6bbl
1969 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible (6.1 L Hemi transplant)
1969 Plymouth Barracuda Fastback 340, Formula S
post #20 of 34 Old 11-09-2019, 07:39 PM

Garage
Sorry about the bad luck Jim. Hope you heal up fast and get back on the bike (when the snow melts).

Clay
2012 GTL
2003 LT
2001 Harley T-Sport
2001 Harley T-Sport (crashed @ Tortilla Flats)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page