Nails in the rear tire - a tale of three tire plugs - Page 6 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 55 Old 08-21-2015, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince View Post
A stone shard punctured my tire. I plugged it with the mushroom.
The mushroom plugs really only work well with nails or screws, i.e. nice round holes.

I ran over a chunk of automotive plastic that left a gash in my tire. I was able to ram 3 mushroom plugs in there, enough to hold air for about an hour while I VERY SLOWLY rode to the closest bike shop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 55 Old 06-05-2017, 12:39 PM

Garage
In the first year of K1600GTL ownership, I had to plug the rear tire on two different occasions. I used the Stop-n-Go kit with the mushroom plugs both times. The common complaint with the mushroom plugs is that they fall out inside the tire. This is not exactly correct.

The primary reason for mushroom plug failure is the belts of the tire cutting through the soft plug. With the plug cut in two, it doesn't take long for the two halves of the plug to work their way out of the hole. When you eventually replace the tire, you find the inside half of the plug inside the tire. The assumption is that the entire plug fell into the tire; the truth is that it was first cut, then half of the plug fell into the tire and the other half ends up by the side of the road.

I learned this the hard way when I had to nurse a plugged rear tire for 500+ miles going home on a Sunday when no dealers were open. I was later informed by a friend that, with the mushroom plugs, you really have to ream the devil out of the puncture to keep the belts from cutting the soft plug. The next time my disaster magnet of a rear tire attracted a screw, my first plug job lasted all the way to the dealer.

Oh, and since this thread started, Motopumps came out with their Airshot pump. I have one and it's very nice.

Ghost
srt8-in-largo likes this.

Nightowl - 2015 K1600GTL
Cruiser - 1992 HD FLSTC
Vector - 2006 HD VRSCR
https://www.ghostcruises.org - Lessons in the art of motorcycle touring
post #53 of 55 Old 06-06-2017, 11:02 AM

I had to use 2 Dynaplugs for a puncture. The first Dynaplug allowed some leakage. The second one sealed the puncture. Maybe it was because of the size of the puncture (I think it was) because I've used single Dynaplugs on car tire punctures effectively. Anyway, the double Dynaplugs lasted maybe 4-5k miles with no issues. I saw the plugs intact when my rear tire was eventually replaced 2 weeks ago. I have confidence in Dynaplugs. BTW, Dynaplug did mention that you can use multiple plugs on larger punctures.

Shaolin Master Sergeant
2013 K1600 GTL Dark Graphite Metallic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 55 Old 06-06-2017, 08:43 PM

Garage
Great write up Brent. Thanks for all the details. I'm even more happy to carry the Safety Seal strings. Grats.
Good use of old tire before "retiring"

Clay
2012 GTL
2003 LT
2001 Harley T-Sport
2001 Harley T-Sport (crashed @ Tortilla Flats)
post #55 of 55 Old 06-06-2017, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post

Oh, and since this thread started, Motopumps came out with their Airshot pump. I have one and it's very nice.

Ghost
+1 on the Motopumps Airshot.

Probably the smallest pump on the market but fills a tire quickly, with nice features... a builtin light and a separate check valve.

2018 K1600 GTL, Thunder Grey
"Ride like lightning, roll like thunder." - Kid Rock, American Badass
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page